Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Just got into an argument here in Chicago

upnorth

On the elevator. Ran into a guy that I knew was a Bears fan. He saw my Lions jersey

Him: "the Lions aren't doing too bad"at halftime.
Me: "Yeah, the Bears fans should be cheering for us for once." Him: "B-b-but the Lions and Bears are tied for the Wildcard"
Me: (Dude, you idiot) "Uhh, we can both still win the division if the Lions win today"

Am I wrong? Should we just hand the Packers the division at this point? Why not just give them the Super Bowl title?

yeah you look like the idiot here. if bears were playing packers today, i'd be rooting for bears all day long

sk3pointer said:
yeah you look like the idiot here. if bears were playing packers today, i'd be rooting for bears all day long

You do realize that you just confirmed my point, right?

Yes, the OP looks like the idiot. As a Lions fan I understand that the Lions have zero chance to win the division so I am rooting for all wildcard competition to lose.

Personally I would root against all of our wildcard competition to lose too. We were never going to catch GB, so I would also root for whatever gives us the best odds...which is the wildcard.

I guess different strokes for different folks then... I would have been cheering for the Bears had they been playing yesterday, hoping that the Lions could still win the division. I guess I can't blame you all for your typical Lions fan negative mentality.

It's easy to look at it differently after the game, but my original comment was made at halftime when we were still in the game.

It would require an insane chokefest from Green Bay and an unlikely win streak for the Lions to beat out Green Bay for the division.

No way.

upnorth said:
I guess different strokes for different folks then... I would have been cheering for the Bears had they been playing yesterday, hoping that the Lions could still win the division. I guess I can't blame you all for your typical Lions fan negative mentality.

It's easy to look at it differently after the game, but my original comment was made at halftime when we were still in the game.

why the hell would you cheer for a team that is your competition for a wild card spot ??

fuck the Bears....

Because if we are just going to hand Green Bay the division, then why not just hand them the Super Bowl... and what do playoffs matter anyway at that point? We might as well just lose the rest of our games so we can be in a better draft position.

My point, at halftime of the game, is that we were in competition for the division. The Bears were in the same position. Obviously things have changed since then, but if Detroit won the game you could assume they had a shot on week 17 in Green Bay. That's 2 losses right there. One more loss and they have the same record. Of course it's a longshot but it's weak to just hand teams games/division titles.

And the rest of you are Monday morning quarterbacks with your comments after the game was over. Slick's is the only one that is relevant to the original conversation.

I would have told you the same thing even before the game. We'd have to win out (including yesterday's game) the remainder of our games for the rest of the season...just in HOPES of catching GB and winning the division. That's not realistic at all.

Which is why everyone in this thread is telling you (in this situation) we would root for the situation that helps us win the wild card...that's realistic. It's not Monday morning QB'ing. It's just understanding the reality of the situation and what is most likely to have the biggest benefit on the Lions chances of making the playoffs.

personally I'd be happy if GB got ass pounded every week,..but they don't and won't...

Bears vs GB...ya I guess I pull for the Bears I have Forte in 2 FF leagues.

my bad op, meant to say i'd be rooting for packers. now i look like the idiot haha

upnorth said:

I would have either checked myself into a mental institution, or would have desparately started searching for whatever type of machine or apperatus that had landed me in a parallel universe where the Bears play the Packers on Thanksgiving, and tried to reverse it.

Back