Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

JV

Sbee

watched some of his start today, listened to a lot of it on the radio, curious to see what everyone thought was wrong. fangraphs has info on his last 4 starts, 2 had the highest velocity of the year, the other two were the lowest.

maybe his mechanics are bad because he's hiding an injury. maybe he'll get injured because his mechanics are bad.

either way, something is definitely wrong, can't figure it out but there has to be more than what we've heard.

I think it's time to put JV on the DL with tired arm or something. Let him rest then let him figure it out on a rehab assignment

I think it's mechanical and between his ears. He can't locate his fastball and his breaking ball dips over the middle of the plate.
I think he started the season wanting to be a Greg Maddux to save on his arm and his long contract. He needs to stop thinking so much and get back to his old self.

I think it's mechanical and between his ears. He can't locate his fastball and his breaking ball dips over the middle of the plate.
I think he started the season wanting to be a Greg Maddux to save on his arm and his long contract. He needs to stop thinking so much and get back to his old self.

there was no reason to tinker with the formula of the last four years. I just wonder what the real issue is, velocity is down a little bit but that could be due to a lot of different reasons.

he also said that his stuff was the best it's been this year today, this start was a step in the right direction

Perhaps the Tigers will shelve JV with a tired arm if he continues to get torched and issues more BBs, but how many more games that he pitches in and gets hammered will it take before they will act?

The trade deadline is looming....although the Tigers could still conceivably make a trade for a SP/RP afterward...that is...IF Justin's situation doesn't improve or especially if it worsens. They could also promote Smyly to the starting roto, but that would hurt their BP depth @ long relief.

His velocity isn't down enough to make this big of a difference. He can still sit in the mid-90s when he wants to, which is still better than most. He's been a huge mystery this year. His K/BB numbers are awful over the past 2 months. Well below average.

he also said that his stuff was the best it's been this year today, this start was a step in the right direction

Really?!?

Has Justin been hanging out with Joey (blue skies) Harrington this year?
:shrug::hmm::ugh:

Jim Leyland probably told him he did great. Jimmy seems to support mediocrity.

Trade him

Yeah, sure...but the best time to do that has come and gone, and there were those who call in to local sports talk radio who had said the same thing...but long before JV was granted that 5 year, $$140 MM extension (with an additional $22MM vesting option year for '20) who are now very likely doing their "I told ya sos" already.

Just an off year. He had a nice two years when he started then in '08 stunk it up pretty good. Then 2 very good years followed by 2 HOF years.

If I had to guess, he comes back strong in 2014.

It is time to quit pretending that there is something not right with JV. His velocity IS down, not much but it is down. He can't seem locate anything which is generally a sign of a lingering injury. My guess is he has been hiding something and it is only going to get worse. Worst case is blown arm and Tommy John surgery, best case is he quits lying and goes on the DL.

It is time to quit pretending that there is something not right with JV. His velocity IS down, not much but it is down. He can't seem locate anything which is generally a sign of a lingering injury. My guess is he has been hiding something and it is only going to get worse. Worst case is blown arm and Tommy John surgery, best case is he quits lying and goes on the DL.

It's time to quit pretending there is something not right with JV?

So you're saying there is nothing wrong and we're pretending there is?

LMAO! I love how JV has a down year and people want him traded. He said on a radio interview that he was trying to get better and started working on his machanics. He then said that he cant get back to where he was. I dont think he's hurt. I just think he was trying to make himself better and screwed something up. JV will be fine.

JV over thinks things. This year especially because he wants to compete with Max's title as the ace of the staff and live up to his enormous contract at the same time. He's not hurt, just in a frustrated phase.

JV over thinks things. This year especially because he wants to compete with Max's title as the ace of the staff and live up to his enormous contract at the same time. He's not hurt, just in a frustrated phase.

Max was better than him in the second 1/2 of last season and it didn't seem to impact how JV was pitching.

JV is not the only one who over-thinks things. That is some wild speculation.

Back