Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

lions run D a mystery?

dtroitlionsfan951

i'm starting to think we are a good run defense team hahahaha....okay i know how crazy that sounds if you look at ypc and rushing yards a game against us....but as crazy as that is..teams barely have any rushing touchdowns against us...and also the lions are 5th in the league for 1st down % per carry..and i bet in short yardage situations we are pretty good too..because i know we are tied for first in the league in opponents 3rd down % against us now...only 29%....it seems to me we just play the pass which leads to so many big runs against us..and we kill alot of drives with negative yardage plays...so i don't know really...we have a jeckyl and hyde run defense if you look at the numbers...because teams just CAN'T pass the ball on us..we are one of the best pass defense teams in all of football so far..

we give up a 35+ yard run every game, they have resulted in FG's........Denver had 180 total yds in the 4th qtr when the game was over

Blame the wide 9. Tulloch was supposed to be in that gap on the long run yesterday and was a step late. Wide 9 puts alot of stress on the lbs to make the tackle or else itll result in a big gain. Teams dont score rushing tds cause our goaline dline is crazy good with suh, williams hill and fairley in the middle.

I think they're actually really good against the run except for 1-2 plays a game. Against Minny, Peterson and Harvin had huge runs. Against San Fran, Gore had two 50+ yd runs. Against Atlanta, Turner had a huge run. And yesterday, Denver had one huge run. For each game, if you take out those 1-2 big runs, the YPC is pretty low. Forte is the only running back I've seen who consistently gashed the Lions D. If they can avoid those huge plays they could have an elite defense.

Yep, those big runs. But they lead to scoring opportunity so they need to nip that in the bud.

lp4ever41 said:
I think they're actually really good against the run except for 1-2 plays a game. Against Minny, Peterson and Harvin had huge runs. Against San Fran, Gore had two 50+ yd runs. Against Atlanta, Turner had a huge run. And yesterday, Denver had one huge run. For each game, if you take out those 1-2 big runs, the YPC is pretty low. Forte is the only running back I've seen who consistently gashed the Lions D. If they can avoid those huge plays they could have an elite defense.

ya you don't get to take out the 1 or 2 big runs.....doesn't work that way piper.

tsmith7559 said:
the bottom line, were not systematically getting beat by the run

got beat by the run by Atl and SF.....sure didnt get beat by Matt Ryan or Alex Smith

SLICK said:
tsmith7559 said:
the bottom line, were not systematically getting beat by the run

got beat by the run by Atl and SF.....sure didnt get beat by Matt Ryan or Alex Smith

special teams beat us with SF.... Hanson kicks a 52 yd FG.... 6 pt swing, dont give up the huge return by Ginn....WE WIN

tsmith7559 said:
SLICK said:

special teams beat us with SF.... Hanson kicks a 52 yd FG.... 6 pt swing, dont give up the huge return by Ginn....WE WIN

whatever you say....Gore didnt do shit...lol

still 6 - 2 with a D ranked 30th in the NFL against the run and giving up a YPC of 5.2.

somehow they'll get a WC berth I think....christ Indy did it for years.

SLICK said:
still 6 - 2 with a D ranked 30th in the NFL against the run and giving up a YPC of 5.2.

The league has definitely changed...you can now actually win without stopping the run or being able to run the ball.

manchild98 said:
SLICK said:

The league has definitely changed...you can now actually win without stopping the run or being able to run the ball.

ya until you come against a team that can actually play defense to.

SLICK said:
manchild98 said:

ya until you come against a team that can actually play defense to.

That was San Fran.

SLICK said:
tsmith7559 said:

he had 2 runs(for 102 yds).... other than that 3yds per carry..granted the two runs count, but it wasnt 4,5,6 yds at a pop

tsmith7559 said:
SLICK said:

he had 2 runs(for 102 yds).... other than that 3yds per carry..granted the two runs count, but it wasnt 4,5,6 yds at a pop

who cares..lol , sometimes Barry would only pop 2 or 3 long runs in a game and the rest would be for 2 or 3 yds.

Gore got into the endzone and helped them immensley.

they still ran the ball 29 times for 7 YPC.....

We're good against the run when it's 3rd and 1 or 4th and inches. Then we seem to stuff everyone, but other than that we are not good at all against the run. Big plays count and you can't remove them. If you get to remove the big play then we should all come to grips that Barry Sanders was actually a terrible running back.

For some unknown reason we have yet to run into an offensive coordinator who has said we are going to run the ball against them 35-40 times. Even when teams run with success against us in the 1st quarter they outsmart themselves and turn to the passing game. I don't get it.

SLICK said:
tsmith7559 said:

who cares..lol , sometimes Barry would only pop 2 or 3 long runs in a game and the rest would be for 2 or 3 yds.

Gore got into the endzone and helped them immensley.

they still ran the ball 29 times for 7 YPC.....

Ive lost count on 3rd or 4th and 1's we have stopped. Teams dont run the ball down our throats like in the past, granted the big play needs to be minimized but the run D is very good, especially when we need a stop, stat wise you may say they're average or worse

manchild98 said:
We're good against the run when it's 3rd and 1 or 4th and inches. Then we seem to stuff everyone, but other than that we are not good at all against the run. Big plays count and you can't remove them. If you get to remove the big play then we should all come to grips that Barry Sanders was actually a terrible running back.

For some unknown reason we have yet to run into an offensive coordinator who has said we are going to run the ball against them 35-40 times. Even when teams run with success against us in the 1st quarter they outsmart themselves and turn to the passing game. I don't get it.

nobody has that 25 - 30 carry horse anymore.

and the WRs all want their touches.

Back