Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

New Tigers Pitchers/Off-season

Thundercats

So far, two of our young acquisitions have made a start for the Detroit Tigers. Each of those starts resulted in wins. Norris pitched 7 1/3 of 1 run ball, and Boyd pitched 7 innings of 1 run ball. Michael Fulmer recently made his first start for AA Erie, and pitched 6 2/3 scoreless innings, striking out 6 and walking only 2 while surrendering only 2 hits. Fulmer looks to be ready to join the Tigers as well. Here are 3 major league ready starters who all have ceilings of top-to-mid rotation guys. Not bad for giving up guys who weren't going to stay here anyway. Next year is looking a hell of a lot better. If we can go out and sign an ace type pitcher(Cueto, Greinke etc), we could plug any two of these young guys into the 4th and 5th spots and we'd have a very good rotation. Guys like Cessa, Rondon, and Labourt could make huge impacts on our bullpen as well. I think Detroit's main focus should be signing a reliable top of the rotation starter, and then getting good hitters in LF and CF.

I would love to see us sign Mat Latos in the offseason. Not sure how much he would cost but I was hoping for him this offseason when I first heard we were getting a Reds starting pitcher.

I would love to see us sign Mat Latos in the offseason. Not sure how much he would cost but I was hoping for him this offseason when I first heard we were getting a Reds starting pitcher.

Not a chance. We just seem to get good SP via trade. When's the last big name we signed as a FA? Even with the money Detroit has, always some teams who have unlimited and will outbid. .

Not a chance. We just seem to get good SP via trade. When's the last big name we signed as a FA? Even with the money Detroit has, always some teams who have unlimited and will outbid. .

A guy can dream, can't he???

We did sign Fielder.

Last edited:
SP. I mentioned SP. They're always in high demand and other teams just have more money. Plus we have Miggy, JV and AS making molto denaro.

And Vmart and Kinsler. If by denero you meant dinero.

Point? Neither of those guys are near the level of talent of the guys acquired.

The point is anointing somebody based on 1 to 3 starts.

And I am sorry, we will be lucky to get 2-3 starters (including JaCoby Jones) from those deals. Cessa and Labourt are very much long shots, even as relievers. Rondon is still unproven at this point. Not all of those guys are going to work out.

If healthy, I expect Lobstein will be better than some of the guys you mentioned. In fact, again if healthy, he should be one of the 5 starters in 2016. And I am OK with that.

The point is anointing somebody based on 1 to 3 starts.

And I am sorry, we will be lucky to get 2-3 starters (including JaCoby Jones) from those deals. Cessa and Labourt are very much long shots, even as relievers. Rondon is still unproven at this point. Not all of those guys are going to work out.

If healthy, I expect Lobstein will be better than some of the guys you mentioned. In fact, again if healthy, he should be one of the 5 starters in 2016. And I am OK with that.

I'm not anointing anybody based on anything. Was relaying how some of the guys have been doing and what I think the team should focus on. Potential is fun to watch develop. Haven't had much of it in a long time. God forbid some of us fans get excited about the future. JaCoby Jones isn't on anyones radar anyway. I look at the guy's stats and all I see is Junior Lake. I look at Fulmer and I see a number 2 pitcher if he stays healthy. I see something similar for Boyd, because he's got good command like a Cliff Lee type, or at least Drew Smyly. I look at Norris and see that he has a great changeup, and life on his fastball but he can't command it yet. He should be in the minors still, and Fulmer and Boyd should be the ones in the bigs because they are the ones most ready.

I think the guy we should go after is the Nat's Jordan Zimmerman or Cueto... I think the same 144 mil offer we gave Max should land one of them... I was hopeful Price would accept that, guess not! :)

Last edited:
I would target the following pieces

Tommy Hunter RP
Edward Mujica RP
Antonio Bastardo RP
Mike Leake SP

Gerardo Parra OF
John Jasso C

Tommy Hunter RP
Edward Mujica RP
Antonio Bastardo RP
Mike Leake SP

Gerardo Parra OF
John Jasso C

I wanted Jaso on the Tigers 5 years ago.

Tommy Hunter RP
Edward Mujica RP
Antonio Bastardo RP
Mike Leake SP

Gerardo Parra OF
John Jasso C

I would certainly take Bastardo, Leake and Jaso. I would definitely pass on Parra. Hunter and Mujica are intriguing, so I would imagine it would come down to cost.

I like how Parra gets on base but I would not over pay for him, which will probably be the case. He gets a fair amount of hype on XM MLB radio as being really good. I'm curious as to why you would pass on him considering what we have in the minors? Who would you put out there assuming Davis is gone?

I like how Parra gets on base but I would not over pay for him, which will probably be the case. He gets a fair amount of hype on XM MLB radio as being really good. I'm curious as to why you would pass on him considering what we have in the minors? Who would you put out there assuming Davis is gone?

He would most likely be a LFer. I want more power in a LH who is a LFer. Additionally, his UZR/150 in LF over the last 2 years is atrocious.

Last 3 years Away

.330 OBP .410 SLG .740 OPS

And for the record, I really want to see what Collins can do in a full time gig.

He would most likely be a LFer. I want more power in a LH who is a LFer. Additionally, his UZR/150 in LF over the last 2 years is atrocious.

Last 3 years Away

.330 OBP .410 SLG .740 OPS

And for the record, I really want to see what Collins can do in a full time gig.

Fair enough. I could live with that as well. Besides, the payroll with the targets I mentioned (excluding Parra) would more than likely exceed this years payroll. The Tigers are really in payroll hell to start 2016 before any moves can be made.

Fair enough. I could live with that as well. Besides, the payroll with the targets I mentioned (excluding Parra) would more than likely exceed this years payroll. The Tigers are really in payroll hell to start 2016 before any moves can be made.

We need a C, LF, CF and 3B. We might be OK with starters, depending on how that shakes out. At some point, we either have to gamble on a low cost free agent or two, trade for some decent positional players and just plain suck it up.

Back