Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Notes from Scout

deathroh

FWIW....

What it looks like when it works

I have no precise title for this blog -- "What it looks like when it works" is as good as any.

When I posted yesterday morning that Denard has to get more used to/comfortable with the offense -- I meant it.

Brady Hoke, Al Borges, et al have looked at the film and decided, on the record as well as off, that they're on the right track with the offense -- they like what they're doing, it just has to progress -- and certain guys have to get healthier.

Meaning:

The power running game. We really only saw it once so far, against Minnesota when Fitz Toussaint ran for 108 yards. It's been set back by injuries -- both to Fitz and to the left side of the O-line. That left side was/is to be the 'power run side' with Lewan-Barnum-Molk, and we saw that vs the Goofers -- Fitz's downhill runs were mainly off that side. However, since then, not only has Barnum been out, but Lewan has been walking-wounded -- ankle-foot, elbow head. He's been in a boot this week, and the time off should be what the doc ordered there. Same for Barnum. Same for Fitz (altho he's taken over for Brandon Minor on the run-corps as "Mr Injury," so we'll see if he can stay healthy). BTW as far as Michael Schofield goes -- he's done a yoeman's job filling in for Barnum; this is a kid (Schofield) who's never played guard in his life; he's now ready to be a fixture at RT for the next two seasons, '12 and '13.

*The power run game has been short-circuited by injury; hopefully the week off will reignite it.

The Two-Quarterback sets in good field position. These are a part of the offense to stay. Against MSU the Spartan DL-n-blitzing was able to blow many of these plays up -- plus some of them were simply poorly run. Denard getting the ball with a head of steam, and having 2 QBs back there to throw it around -- dazzling when operated (and blocked) well.

Devin Gardner dropping back at times. In some pure passing situations, seeing Devin in there at times is here to stay as well ("here to stay" is too strong, I mean for-now of course). So far this part of the experiment hasn't really worked - and coming in for a play here and there places a lot of stress on Devin. But Borges-n-Hoke think he can handle it and haven't given up on it.

*Devin's too good to languish, and Denard is too dangerous to have him turning his back to the D most of the time; so the 2-headed QB experiment will continue.

This offense is complicated, and places most of the stress on both QB's Denard and Devin. But the U-M braintrust thinks they have two special players there who can learn to handle it. Remember, Florida won a NC in 2006 with a two-headed QB ... if you can make it work it's just too-weird for defenses. And, but, however -- if you ask me this U-M O is more complicated than the '06 Florida setup, especially for Denard. So Borges has decided he has two very special NFL-caliber guys ... but it takes getting used to. I think 2012 is being set up as a special year ... altho if the D-n-D-bros learn fast (and the OL is healthy enuff), 2011 can still be pretty special too (I'm thinking: OSU victory).

BTW, with this experiment going on, the route-running precision is at a premium -- the receivers (incl. Vincent Smith) HAVE to help the QBs out ... so far, frankly, it's been hit-n-miss. Junior has made some great jump-ball-catches -- but the route-running has to get better. And then they have to catch it - that has been a little disappointing too at times.

Minnesota was one scrimmage to get this O in order ... Purdue could be another one - altho the Boiler-D hasn't been half-bad so far (they gave up 23 to PSU, 17 to MINN, 38 to ND), so we'll see. Their game vs Illinois Saturday (noon, ESPN2) will be one I watch.

yeoman, not yoeman.

Way to cut and paste the mistakes too, uvebeenmcguffied.

They looked at the MSU film and concluded they are on the right track... with the power running game? That don't make NO sense.

injury excuse? great!

2 qb system? I hate it

injury excuse for not even trying to run? I hate it

a little more, this from Sam Webb....

Hearing that Troy Woolfolk is getting more reps at safety. Blake Countess' emergence has helped solidify the corner spot opposite JT Floyd. Meanwhile, could Woolfolk at this stage of his career be more of a defensive factor at safety.

Hearing that Desmond Morgan getting more reps with the 1's at Will

I'm also hearing that competition has intnesified at the MIKE backer spot as well. J.B. Fitzgerald will have his shot to push KD.

Hungry said:
injury excuse? great!

2 qb system? I hate it

Yeah, I agree the scout.com reports are still just as pointless as the ones under RR. It seems like this guy's job is to gloss over our mistakes and find some way to put a positive spin on whatever glaring weaknesses we have. Either that, or he is clueless when it comes to analyzing tape.

excluding sacks & yards lost, we ran the ball 29 times for about 87 yards, or a 3 yard average. our QB's accounted for over half the carries with 17.

we threw 31 passes.

I don't know how you look at that and conclude we were on the right track with the power running game.

Maybe we were on the right track with the power running game... and it's too bad we got completely off that track?

DR said:

Hearing that Troy Woolfolk is getting more reps at safety. Blake Countess' emergence has helped solidify the corner spot opposite JT Floyd. Meanwhile, could Woolfolk at this stage of his career be more of a defensive factor at safety.

I'm also hearing that competition has intnesified at the MIKE backer spot as well. J.B. Fitzgerald will have his shot to push KD.

I could see Woolfolk at safety. with his repeated lower leg injuries, I'm guessing he's not as fast as he was.

with Countess being a true freshman, it's important for him to get as much swag as possible at this stage in his career.

MichChamp02 said:
Hungry said:
injury excuse? great!

2 qb system? I hate it

Yeah, I agree the scout.com reports are still just as pointless as the ones under RR. It seems like this guy's job is to gloss over our mistakes and find some way to put a positive spin on whatever glaring weaknesses we have. Either that, or he is clueless when it comes to analyzing tape.

excluding sacks & yards lost, we ran the ball 29 times for about 87 yards, or a 3 yard average. our QB's accounted for over half the carries with 17.

we threw 31 passes.

I don't know how you look at that and conclude we were on the right track with the power running game.

Maybe we were on the right track with the power running game... and it's too bad we got completely off that track?

He's not saying that HE thinks it's on track, he's saying the coaches think so. Who knows how legit that is, hence, FWIW.

yes, I'm questioning how anyone could conclude that.

I suppose indirectly questioning whether he really knows what Hoke & Borges concluded.

DR said:

not a big fan of Desmond Morgan. I don't know what they see in this guy, NOt that any of our linebackers have been great.

MichChamp02 said:
yes, I'm questioning how anyone could conclude that.

I suppose indirectly questioning whether he really knows what Hoke & Borges concluded.

You threw me off by talking about him analyzing tape.

Hungry said:
DR said:

not a big fan of Desmond Morgan. I don't know what they see in this guy, NOt that any of our linebackers have been great.

I think the last part of your post is key. He definitely doesn't look ready to me either, and I'll be worried if he plays extensively the last two games.

And thus the recruitment of 50 linebackers. Actually though, if Brandin Hawthorne could tackle, he'd be a monster. He does put himself in great position a lot of the time. He needs to learn how to wrap up and stop ducking his head(like several corners on this team do).

wlvrnstlr4life said:
And thus the recruitment of 50 linebackers. Actually though, if Brandin Hawthorne could tackle, he'd be a monster. He does put himself in great position a lot of the time. He needs to learn how to wrap up and stop ducking his head(like several corners on this team do).
If they tackle on third down with their backs to the goal line and if Borges doesn't make that stupid fucking 4th down call, its a different ball game. The D was there to turn two MSU TDs into FG trys, if they make the goddam tackle. Most frustrating shit ever.

Back