Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT - how phones used to be

I only remember what it was like to have a rotary phone because we used to have one in our basement that still worked for a long time. well into the 90s.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only remember what it was like to have a rotary phone because we used to have one in our basement that still worked for a long time. well into the 90s.

We also once had a house with a functioning rotary phone in the basement (we lived in that house in the early 2000s). I was inordinately happy when we discovered the phone still worked.

Our main home phone was rotary into the 90's, and it was an ugly orange-pink color.

I still have a rotary dial cell phone.

I still have a tan slim line with buttons that I have stored just for an emergency. If all other communication fails I'll just plug in and I'm good to go. No electricity required.

a trim line is wall mounted in mybasement

was there when i moved in

We had one of those black wall mounted phones in the kitchen when I was growing up. Those were the standard issue in the neighborhood. Every house had one in the kitchen. I still remember the phone number of my best friend when I was a kid, even though I haven't dialed it in almost 40 years. Crazy!

HaHaHa!! We had the 70's Olive Green in the kitchen and a 200 foot cord once my sister got done with it -- she could make it all the way to her room and stay on the phone by stretching the cord.

We had one of those black wall mounted phones in the kitchen when I was growing up. Those were the standard issue in the neighborhood. Every house had one in the kitchen. I still remember the phone number of my best friend when I was a kid, even though I haven't dialed it in almost 40 years. Crazy!

and i remember them still with the exchange names

WYoming -1 (991 - )
EVergreen 2 (382)

kinda crazy how fast the # of area codes exploded with the advent of cell phones.

I remember being 313 for the longest time, before 810, then soon after 248.

also remember for a while having to get my parent's permission to make a phone call if it was outside the local area and you had to dial the area code to make it. can't be racking up those huge long distance charges.

there was that Seinfeld episode about that -- the non-212 area code being given to new numbers. And even in Vail 10yrs ago you didn't need to use 10-digit dialing for local calls, just the normal 7-digits.

For the longest time when I was a kid, our number was LI (Lincoln) 5-3543.

For the longest time when I was a kid, our number was LI (Lincoln) 5-3543.

what about like in the old days when you had to dial a local operator first to connect? or when people would share individual lines so that you might call some guy you know, but other people would be talking, and you had to ask them to get the hell off the phone?

edit: I've only seen those on old tv shows and movies.

what about like in the old days when you had to dial a local operator first to connect? or when people would share individual lines so that you might call some guy you know, but other people would be talking, and you had to ask them to get the hell off the phone?

edit: I've only seen those on old tv shows and movies.

I may have been born in the '50s, but it was the NINETEEN-50s, not the 1850s.

I remember the first cell phone we had. It was a car phone (which was considered amazingly liberating at the time), and the thing came with a huge bag attached to it containing the batteries, and what not. it was "portable" in the sense that a briefcase was also portable.

man that thing sucked. and I remember my mom kept it in service through the end of the 90s which was way longer than it was worth; by the end, it was on some weird call plan that the service provider (eventually verizon) had no idea what to do with. They would charge these huge roaming fees to use it.

and i remember them still with the exchange names

WYoming -1 (991 - )
EVergreen 2 (382)

I never learned phone numbers that way. What is even crazier is that today I don't think I know any phone numbers from memory. Everything is on speed dial!!

Back