Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT: Question for Star Wars people

jever4321

My kids are showing interest in the Star Wars movies. What order should they be viewed in. Conventional wisdom would say watch them in order that they came out, but then I thought the Star Wars (A New Hope) was supposed to be the 4th in the series. Starting with the newer releases would reveal the huge gaff in special effects from the first 3 that were released in the 80's.

I'm leaning toward watching them in the same manner we all watched them in, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, etc.. Not sure which ones come next as I haven't watched them yet.

Any other opinions?

They were designed as a nine-part saga from the very beginning with the middle three going first in the rota, so I'd play them that way.

if youre watching with kids you should probably start with the older ones.

Going from the new special effects to old could make them lose interest

Jever4321 said:
My kids are showing interest in the Star Wars movies. What order should they be viewed in. Conventional wisdom would say watch them in order that they came out, but then I thought the Star Wars (A New Hope) was supposed to be the 4th in the series. Starting with the newer releases would reveal the huge gaff in special effects from the first 3 that were released in the 80's.

I'm leaning toward watching them in the same manner we all watched them in, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, etc.. Not sure which ones come next as I haven't watched them yet.

Any other opinions?

PSSSHHHHH and you said MY man card is revoked. I hope you know the answer to your own question. You might want to just avoid the latest 3 all together for their own good.

Personally I think you should wait until LucasFilms learns how to upload each movie instantaneously into a memory chip located in your childrens brains, all for the low price of 50% of their everlasting soul.

DR said:
Personally I think you should wait until LucasFilms learns how to upload each movie instantaneously into a memory chip located in your childrens brains, all for the low price of 50% of their everlasting soul.

By then, all of the old movies will be "enhanced" with constant images of Jar Jar and things blowing up.
swbluraybilltedfun.jpg

I saw 4, 5, & 6 when I was a kid. I never saw any of the movies in the theatre though.

I could barely stand #6 because of the ewoks. Then I saw the first pre-quel, then I realized how much I hated George Lucas, and decided then and there that I would never see another pre-quel, remake, or repackaged star wars flick again, and I haven't. I have no idea how 1 ended, or what happens in 2 or 3.

the only way I'll watch star wars now is the "James Earl Vader" clip on youtube.

MichChamp02 said:
I saw 4, 5, & 6 when I was a kid. I never saw any of the movies in the theatre though.

I could barely stand #6 because of the ewoks. Then I saw the first pre-quel, then I realized how much I hated George Lucas, and decided then and there that I would never see another pre-quel, remake, or repackaged star wars flick again, and I haven't. I have no idea how 1 ended, or what happens in 2 or 3.

the only way I'll watch star wars now is the "James Earl Vader" clip on youtube.

What he did to Star Wars and Indiana Jones should be a federal crime. He should be in Gitmo right now for putting aliens in Indiana Jones.

also, Natalie Portman ruins movies for me. I avoid her whenever possible (she couldn't ruin Darjeeling Limited though)

MichChamp02 said:
also, Natalie Portman ruins movies for me. I avoid her whenever possible (she couldn't ruin Darjeeling Limited though)

That whole new cast was terrible. I mean, individually most of them have had good movies but dang, they were TERRIBLE in the new stars wars movies.

Watch 4,5 and 6 first then 1,2 and 3. Depends on how old they are I have a feeling they will like the newer ones cause they kind of were for kids well the first one anyways. The second one is a love story and the third is how you see Vader formed which is the best one of the newer ones.

Watch 4,5, and 6. I dont hate the new ones but start with the originals and let the whole i am your father thing be an awesome surprise instead of a crappy back story.

NO ONE should go to the new 3D versions either. Just one more way Lucas has gone to the Dark Side.

motown1958 said:
Watch 4,5, and 6. I dont hate the new ones but start with the originals and let the whole i am your father thing be an awesome surprise instead of a crappy back story.

Has anyone seen that video of the two kids freaking out when that part happened? LOL it's good I'll see if I can find it.

[flash=350,287:1f5yr2ap]http://www.youtube.com/v/ZbV5hn_ET0U&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:1f5yr2ap]
</td><td valign="top">
<iframe src="http://images.proboards.com/banners/300x250_14.html" width="300" height="250" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
</td></tr></table>

Well? What did you do? like the majority here, I would go with 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3

course then you have to get all of those clone wars cartoons. I think they go somewhere between 2-3? I don't know, my brother was trying to tell me about them one day.

How old are the kids? The story in 1-3 is actually easier to follow for a younger kid so depending on the age I would go that route. Plus the lightsaber battles are what the kids really get into and sadly that is an area that the prequels have the original trilogy beat in.

Back