Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stafford Versus Winning Teams

LKP

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/...w-staffords-poor-record-against-winning-teams

Such a great article on Stafford versus winning teams. Great breakdown by years.

85.1 rating in 51 games against winning teams (includes playoffs)

86.8 rating against .500 or below teams.

His play is almost unchanged. Yet 5-46 record against winning teams and 46-12 record against teams .500 or below. The weapons lacked in 2012 and 2013. Run game lacked most of his career (sans 10 games in 2013, efficient in 2011 but then Best got hurt). Defense lacked in 2009, last 6 in 2011, 2012, spotty in 2013, first half 2015 and final 3 of 2016.

Quinn. Extend Stafford for 5-6 years this offseason, please

Alot of the time due to various reasons. Injuries are a big one. Sometimes its stafford himself hurt in the really bad games. Stafford can be blamed for some but not alot. Zona and kc examples in the article

And 23 of 46 losses within one score. Game could have gone either way but didnt for one reason or another

Alot of the time due to various reasons. Injuries are a big one. Sometimes its stafford himself hurt in the really bad games. Stafford can be blamed for some but not alot. Zona and kc examples in the article

And 23 of 46 losses within one score. Game could have gone either way but didnt for one reason or another

My guess is more than 1/2 of the 46 wins were also within one score and those games could have gone the other way for one reason or another.

I get the feeling you post these threads just to piss everyone else off.

My guess is more than 1/2 of the 46 wins were also within one score and those games could have gone the other way for one reason or another.

So the NFL is a close league which refs and injuries can effect. Got it

Lions are 11th in winning percentage from 2014-2016 of all teams.

85.1 and 86.1 tell me one thing - for his career he's average.

Lol yeah that was the part I was going to bring up... Are you sure it's a good idea to be bragging about an 85 rating against good teams?

I mean, that's not bad. But it's definitely what you want out of an elite QB.

85.1 and 86.1 tell me one thing - for his career he's average.

2011, 2015 and 2016 ratings well above that. 2012 and 2013 said weapon issues, defense and run game issues (basically every year). 2009 is dragging things down too.

86 is incredible when you factor that in. Good QB.

2011, 2015 and 2016 ratings well above that. 2012 and 2013 said weapon issues, defense and run game issues (basically every year). 2009 is dragging things down too.

86 is incredible when you factor that in. Good QB.

Yes I know how he's done those seasons, but when you have years above the ratings you also have years below. Even this year he was inconsistent. Same with last year.

He's not elite, nor a stud. He can be good some times, and other not so much.

Okay, he's a good QB. What are you hoping to get out of this thread?

Yes I know how he's done those seasons, but when you have years above the ratings you also have years below. Even this year he was inconsistent. Same with last year.

He's not elite, nor a stud. He can be good some times, and other not so much.

The years below were 2012, 2013 and 2014. There were reasons he had below ratings. And it wasn't because of him for a lot of it. Weapons, run game for a lot of it. And 2014 they went 11-5 so who really cares

Last edited:
Okay, he's a good QB. What are you hoping to get out of this thread?

Not everyone on this board agrees with that. Now they should.

Also it's worth noting that W-L record is not all due solely to QBs. Reiterate that.

So the 5-46 and 1-23 against road winning teams shouldn't be put on Stafford (at least the majority of the losses)

It's a neat breakdown though. Just thought I would share. Interesting stats in there. Like 36 TDs and 18 ints against winning teams in the Schwartz era. A few of the really bad games due to injury of Stafford (2009 GB, at NYG 2016, at Dallas 2016).

The years below were 2012, 2013 and 2014. There were reasons he had below ratings. And it wasn't because of him for a lot of it. Weapons, run game for a lot of it. And 2014 they went 11-5 so who really cares

So his good years it was him, and the not so good years it was not him? Lol.

And if we all didn't agree that we thought Stafford was god, why would you care? That shouldn't bother you.

I would expect Stafford to have a much higher QB rating vs below .500 teams. The fact that he doesn't is an excellent example of how he is an inconsistent QB.

As a disclaimer, I like Stafford as our QB because of those flashes of greatness. But I would like him to be more consistently great. Will he have stretches of games where he isn't great, of course. Every QB does. The elite QBs do not have long stretches. Matt needs to make that next step in his career to elite. So far he is only good to very good, not elite.

Hes fine. Those stats say hes fine. The W/L record shows hes below fine. For what he means to detroit hes above fine. It all averages out to fine.

There have been GREAT qbs in this league that have played above and carried the rest of their below average team. Stafford just isnt that guy. We get it. He plays fine vs good and bad teams...great! He doesnt lift his team to be better....especially vs good competition. Staffords legacy will be that he beats up on weak competition and doesnt win playoff games. Right now...thats what he is.....if quin can put something around him to change that....then great! go for it! Dare ya!

Hippo, he's going into his 9th season. If he's not elite now, I doubt he ever will be.

He is who he is.

Back