Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trade rumors

Sbee

anyone heard anything? the only area we really need help is middle relief or closer, it might be cheaper to get a good middle relief guy to replace Dotel and then keep everyone where they are. I don't think we should move porcello, long term mistake.

Garcia and Dirks are expendable

if we want to get crazy we could look for short term catching help, not sure if we want to go there.

anyone heard anything? the only area we really need help is middle relief or closer, it might be cheaper to get a good middle relief guy to replace Dotel and then keep everyone where they are. I don't think we should move porcello, long term mistake.

if we want to get crazy we could look for short term catching help, not sure if we want to go there.

I would hope they add some BP help but not a closer. I would also like to see them get a LF that can hit.

Also, I wouldn't give a dime to MSU....get that shit off of this board!

With DD you just never know. Close to the vest and all..We don't need starter help but I'd be up for another Fister type deal..

I am not a proponent of trading for relief pitchers. There is no real value in them, especially middle relievers. And closers are highly overrated/overvalued. The difference between an elite closer and an average closer is really only 1-2 wins a year. So where does that leave middle relievers?

My concern is the lack of consistency on offense, and especially the lack of plate discipline/taking a freaking walk when needed. Two of the worst positions we have is LF and 2B at walk rate/plate discipline. I wouldn't mind dealing any combination of Dirks, Garcia or Infante. Now, in the right deal, if you can also get a relief pitcher, great. But I wouldn't have a relief pitcher as the "target" of the trade.

I am not a proponent of trading for relief pitchers. There is no real value in them, especially middle relievers. And closers are highly overrated/overvalued. The difference between an elite closer and an average closer is really only 1-2 wins a year. So where does that leave middle relievers?

My concern is the lack of consistency on offense, and especially the lack of plate discipline/taking a freaking walk when needed. Two of the worst positions we have is LF and 2B at walk rate/plate discipline. I wouldn't mind dealing any combination of Dirks, Garcia or Infante. Now, in the right deal, if you can also get a relief pitcher, great. But I wouldn't have a relief pitcher as the "target" of the trade.

I agree on not wanting a closer, lots of teams do well without a set closer, look at SF last year. bullpen depth wouldn't hurt and wouldn't be that expensive. as for 2B, I just don't see that many options out there that are better than Infante, I'll take a .340 OBP and .787 OPS out of the 9 spot and 2b.

we don't need to make a big splash or add that much payroll, we just need to replace Dotel really. clearing the log jam in the OF wouldn't hurt either.

Infante is one of the better offensive 2B in the league right now IMO. He is 10th in OBP and 7th in OPS. I don't see how you can upgrade on that. As far as LF...I am 100? on board with that. As far as the BP....there is no doubt that they need to improve it. I think they are ok with Al Al (although not consistant enough IMO), Smyly and Benoit I really don't like anybody else. Rondon can be effecitve if he would just mix up his pitches a little better.

Bottom line if the Tigers can get an 8th inning type RP and upgrade the LF bat I would be happy.

I think the Tigers should target Raul Ibanez. Play him some at DH and when the rosters are expanded he will be a huge asset. I know he is a poor defensive LF but he wouldn't cost much for a short time rental...maybe a few mid level prospects. Heck....maybe Dirks straight up for him.

I'm for getting a proven guy for the 7th or 8th inning, leave Benoit at closer. Would be cheap and would really help the team.

I'm for getting a proven guy for the 7th or 8th inning, leave Benoit at closer. Would be cheap and would really help the team.

would like to get someone like scott downs if LAA falls off, maybe Matt Thornton. I know they're both LH but they can get people out

A relief pitcher of the type we need is usually a throw in as part of another deal. Unless it's for cash only, I don't want to trade for just a reliever(s).

Now if we get a decent reliever as part of a trade for say a good middle IF guy (Omar likely gone next year, Peralta suspension perhaps) then I'd be okay with parting with Garcia or something, but not just for a bullpen arm, that would be hugely overpaying.

Biggest hole on the team is the offensive inconstancy, and that's not really something we can fix via trades, but is what killed us in the WS last year.

Infante Home .343 BAVG .382 OBP .524 SLG .907 OPS

Infante Away .277 BAVG .296 OBP .372 SLG .668 OPS

20.6 Plate Appearances Per Walk

Infante's value is tied to his hitting. When he isn't hitting (i.e. slump or away), he is a liability. He is 27 of 28 MLB 2B (min 210 PA) in Clutch situations. He is 14th in WPA/LI (imo, a better stat than oWAR). He is 19th in WPA. I could go on and on. Infante's perceived value includes his unsustainable split between home and away.

Last edited:
A relief pitcher of the type we need is usually a throw in as part of another deal. Unless it's for cash only, I don't want to trade for just a reliever(s).

Now if we get a decent reliever as part of a trade for say a good middle IF guy (Omar likely gone next year, Peralta suspension perhaps) then I'd be okay with parting with Garcia or something, but not just for a bullpen arm, that would be hugely overpaying.

Biggest hole on the team is the offensive inconstancy, and that's not really something we can fix via trades, but is what killed us in the WS last year.

inconsistent offense generally evens out or at least it's hard to improve in a trade. good teams don't score 6 runs ever game, they go 6-2-3-9, etc. it's hard to find a hitter that hits better in close games than blowouts

Infante Home .343 BAVG .382 OBP .524 SLG .907 OPS

Infante Away .277 BAVG .296 OBP .372 SLG .668 OPS

20.6 Plate Appearances Per Walk

Infante's value is tied to his hitting. When he isn't hitting (i.e. slump or away), he is a liability. He is 27 of 28 MLB 2B (min 210 PA) in Clutch situations. He is 14th in WPA/LI (imo, a better stat than oWAR). He is 19th in WPA. I could go on and on. Infante's perceived value includes his unsustainable split between home and away.

I think its more about "how would we get a better 2B at deadline?" The answer is probably - there isn't one.

Not just about trying to get better Mitch. Infante's contract is up, if we can get a younger, average offensively, above average defensively 2B under contract for a few years, it would be a very worthwhile trade.

I doubt it would take too much to get Jose Altuve (22) and Jose Veras (RP) from the Astros.

Garcia/Lennerton or an arm would probably do it.

Don't know if the Astro's would part with Altuve, he's probably the guy they are planning on building around. But I'd love to get him.

if they trade altuve, they might as well just fold the franchise

Don't know if the Astro's would part with Altuve, he's probably the guy they are planning on building around. But I'd love to get him.

He's a solid player, but I don't think he's a cornerpiece to rebuilding.

He is solid defensively and handles the bat well. He would fit nicely at the 9 spot right now and take over for Torii at the 2 in a year and a half.

Veras would give us a good 7th or 8th inning arm. We could send Putkonen back to Toledo....where he and Even Reed should stay for the next 10 years!!

if they trade altuve, they might as well just fold the franchise

Because of trading Altuve......no. He's good. He's no Cano, Kinsler, or Biggio. You can build around guys like that.

He is popular, but not essential to their franchise....IMO.

Or, there are a lot of other players out there.....I just think the Jose brothers would solve a couple of the Tigers bigger needs.

Back