Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trade rumors

He's a solid player, but I don't think he's a cornerpiece to rebuilding.

He is solid defensively and handles the bat well. He would fit nicely at the 9 spot right now and take over for Torii at the 2 in a year and a half.

Veras would give us a good 7th or 8th inning arm. We could send Putkonen back to Toledo....where he and Even Reed should stay for the next 10 years!!

Altuve should be the last guy they want to move, of course he's a guy that everyone wants though. if you are serious about winning, you don't trade young solid players that are still under team control for 4yrs. that team is really young but they should look to move someone like Pena, but I guess nobody wants him

Because of trading Altuve......no. He's good. He's no Cano, Kinsler, or Biggio. You can build around guys like that.

He is popular, but not essential to their franchise....IMO.

Or, there are a lot of other players out there.....I just think the Jose brothers would solve a couple of the Tigers bigger needs.

See if he was a Cano, or a Biggio, or an Arod, etc. then you trade him for a kings ransom. But right now he's just what they need, a quality, young cheap player, under team control for a long time.

Which is why I said build around him, because he;s not going to net them anything significant in a trade so they might as well keep him and use him as a core.

It just depends on what they would want in return, which would likely be too much. Remember it's a sellers market at the deadline.

I am not a proponent of trading for relief pitchers. There is no real value in them, especially middle relievers. And closers are highly overrated/overvalued. The difference between an elite closer and an average closer is really only 1-2 wins a year. So where does that leave middle relievers?

My concern is the lack of consistency on offense, and especially the lack of plate discipline/taking a freaking walk when needed. Two of the worst positions we have is LF and 2B at walk rate/plate discipline. I wouldn't mind dealing any combination of Dirks, Garcia or Infante. Now, in the right deal, if you can also get a relief pitcher, great. But I wouldn't have a relief pitcher as the "target" of the trade.

I totally agree. By their nature, relief pitchers just can't have as much of an effect on the game as a starter can.

I'm a proponent of doing nothing midseason. Fix the team from within. See what castellanos has to offer later in July or August, maybe he can oust dirks.

I think it would be worth it to trade for Raul Ibanez. Maybe Dirks or a few mid level prospects would get it done.

As much as people bag on Dirks, he has not been as bad as people make it out to be.

He's not a .300 hitter, that was a fluke, but in July so far he's hitting .276 (very respectable) with 5 walks and 3 doubles. If he gets hot, same as Victor...it could be a big shot in the arm for the offense.

I just don't see a trade upgrading LF that much, especially Ibanez, who's only real bonus over Dirks is the HR ability.

As much as people bag on Dirks, he has not been as bad as people make it out to be.

He's not a .300 hitter, that was a fluke, but in July so far he's hitting .276 (very respectable) with 5 walks and 3 doubles. If he gets hot, same as Victor...it could be a big shot in the arm for the offense.

I just don't see a trade upgrading LF that much, especially Ibanez, who's only real bonus over Dirks is the HR ability.

Come playoff time HR ability is huge IMO. Either starting in LF, as the DH or the ability to PH late in a game.

No need to trade for offense, especially in LF because Castellanos is probably just as good as any acquisition would be.

No need to trade for offense, especially in LF because Castellanos is probably just as good as any acquisition would be.

I dont know if hed outperform dirks for the remaindet of this year. More long term upside

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Not just about trying to get better Mitch. Infante's contract is up, if we can get a younger, average offensively, above average defensively 2B under contract for a few years, it would be a very worthwhile trade.

That seems more like a trade for the offseason. I don't see DD making a move on a guy who might play once a week and none at all in the playoffs.

inconsistent offense generally evens out or at least it's hard to improve in a trade. good teams don't score 6 runs ever game, they go 6-2-3-9, etc. it's hard to find a hitter that hits better in close games than blowouts

Your definition and my definition of inconsistent offense are different. You are alluding to the runs scored. I am more concerned with players being able to work the count once in awhile. Nothing irks me more than watching the opposing pitcher get through an inning with only having to throw 6 pitches. Those quick innings also hurts our starter and means he doesn't get as much rest in between innings. But, primarily, it keeps from running the pitch count up on the opposing starter/reliever.

There are 129 AL players (8.6 per team) with at least 200 Plate Appearances.

14 Avila 4.22

41 V. Martinez 4.03

44 A. Jackson 4.02

64 Peralta 3.88

70 Fielder 3.84

94 Dirks 3.71

104 T. Hunter 3.66

109 M. Cabrera 3.64

128 O. Infante 3.36

**FYI...the median over the years is about 3.85 Pitches per PA

AL Teams with players in top 40

OAK 7

BOS 6

MIN 6

TOR 4

CLE 3

NYY 2

TBR 2

TEX 2

CHW 2

SEA 2

LAA 1

HOU 1

KCR 1

DET 1

BAL 0

If I opposed DET, I would know one of their strengths is their Starting Pitching and a huge weakness is their Bullpen. I would work every AB to get the Starter's pitch count up and get them out of the game as soon as the 5th inning. How many times so far this year has DET starter gone only 5 innings, but only given up 1 or 2 Earned Runs? How many times has the DET Opposition starter only go 5 innings and give up 1 or 2 Earned Runs?

I will also add, by getting the starter out earlier, affects the opposition's bullpen. Meaning they might not have certain relievers available later on it a series. For years, the Yankees and sometimes the Red Sox were built offensively to do just that.

It does not surprise me in the least to see Oakland on top of that stat w 7 players in the top 40. It irritates the fuck out of me the way they work counts and battle (foul off shit tons of pitches) when we play them!

Working counts has its disadvantages. For one, there are certain guys on this team I would hate to see 2 strikes on. It ends badly. Secondly, Miggy can swing early and often for all I care the way he hits.

I am not a proponent of trading for relief pitchers. There is no real value in them, especially middle relievers. And closers are highly overrated/overvalued. The difference between an elite closer and an average closer is really only 1-2 wins a year. So where does that leave middle relievers?

My concern is the lack of consistency on offense, and especially the lack of plate discipline/taking a freaking walk when needed. Two of the worst positions we have is LF and 2B at walk rate/plate discipline. I wouldn't mind dealing any combination of Dirks, Garcia or Infante. Now, in the right deal, if you can also get a relief pitcher, great. But I wouldn't have a relief pitcher as the "target" of the trade.

I could see them trading Dirks or Garcia. Hopfully that trade brings in a reliever. I agree that trading for relievers isnt ideal but we dont want the bullpen blowing games in the playoffs. Our bullpen has an ERA over 4. Maybe trade both Garcia and Dirks and open the LF position for Tooey. He has shown the bat. I know his defense isnt great, but its not aweful. Plus that would open a roster spot hopefully for Nick!

Stanton with the marlins is struggling. Get him cheap. Send them Dirks and Kelly, lol.

There was a topic on 97.1 that someone brought up earlier...

It had to do with this past offseasons free agency period and how the Tigers kept Anibal Sanchez and signed him to such a pricey contract as opposed to signing Rafael Soriano instead at about half the price.

To me, I look at innings/dollar moreso than what a pitcher's designated role is. Forgive me for not taking the "closer" role so seriously, but it basically comes down to coming in to work an inning and getting three outs. Sure, it takes a bit of mettle, but may the best man be placed into said role.

Anything this side of Todd Jones will do...

And speaking of Todd Jones, has anyone gotten the chance to ride the new roller coaster at Cedar Point, "The Gatekeeper?"

Tigers are showing continued interest in trading for Padres reliever Luke Gregerson.
Padres have multiple RP who could fit with Tigers: Gregerson, Huston Street, Dale Thayer, and the lefty Joe Thatcher.

Last edited:
Back