Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

USA today the 5 real rivalries

a lot of ink has been spilled about this, but they should rank them by the actual number of people that tune in/care about each one, without regard to nationality.

say goodbye to UNC/Duke and Auburn/Alabama. there's less than 5 million people in the state of Alabama as a whole...

Hey, they all threw on gray uniforms and went to war against the North, too.

"Southern Pride"

I think Packers/Bears is up there and also the rivalry between Vikings and Packers ....old school football and markets that #ESPNsucks doesn't feel is as good as Jets vs Pats, but still solid.

Jets and Pats are a garbage rivalry if one at all(espn glorifies crap). Miami and the Jets was a true rivalry and a fun one, but both teams became utter shit. I think people forget the Steelers and Ravens/Browns rivalry which has been going on since the 50's. I think the Packers/Bears is the only true rivalry that is longer in the NFL.

Jets and Pats are a garbage rivalry if one at all(espn glorifies crap). Miami and the Jets was a true rivalry and a fun one, but both teams became utter shit. I think people forget the Steelers and Ravens/Browns rivalry which has been going on since the 50's. I think the Packers/Bears is the only true rivalry that is longer in the NFL.

Pats and Jets a rivalry at all? The rivalry has been going on since 1960 when it was the Boston Patriots and New York Titans. The series is tied at 51-51-1 and the two teams and fan bases hate each other.

Pats and Jets a rivalry at all? The rivalry has been going on since 1960 when it was the Boston Patriots and New York Titans. The series is tied at 51-51-1 and the two teams and fan bases hate each other.

Its a rivalry no one cares about, but those fans. That was part of the criteria for being a rivalry.

Its a rivalry no one cares about, but those fans. That was part of the criteria for being a rivalry.

I'd say all NFL rivalries fall under that now, so I don't disagree. Most people don't care about the outcome if their team is not involved. They may tune in, but they don't truly care who wins.

Last edited:
I'd say all NFL rivalries fall under that now, so I don't disagree. Most people don't care about the outcome if their team is not involved. They may tune in, but they don't truly care who wins.

i'd say the only pro rivalry like that is yankees vs red sox, most people aren't fans of either team but they have strong feelings about NYY and like to cheer against them. the heat are kind of like that but they don't have a natural rival

2. Both teams are generally near the top of the standings in the last five years — the rivalry games have to actually mean something.

Eliminates: all NFC East “rivalries,” Army-Navy, Harvard-Yale, Cincy-Xavier

Huh? Sorry, but doesn't this actually eliminate UM/OSU and Texas/OK also??? What have they played for the past 5 years????? Has the loser of Texas/OK been relevant in any way recently? UM is yet to play in the B1G CG.

At least in 2012 Army/Navy played for the Commander-In-Chief trophy directly where winner won the trophy, and Army was leading until just under 5 minutes left. It would have been 3 straight years the CiC trophy was not at Navy to boot. Sure it isn't the NC trophy, but it means a great deal to millions across the nation, and fits the criteria more than anything UM/OSU have played for lately. Only time UM has won recently was when OSU was under sanctions and an interim coach, so can't even really say that year was relevant.

I love UM, but they have not been living up to their end of the bargain and we all know it, so based on writer's criteria (not mine) UM/OSU should have been eliminated as well. Heck, even based on "both teams have been at top of standings the past 5 years" would actually eliminate all of these rivalries as I don't believe "both" teams have been in the top of standings each year for past 5 years in any of them, where the winner took all and loser got 2nd place, but maybe I missed something.

Just find this criteria by the writer to be flawed.

Last edited:
Back