Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions sign Stafford to 5 year $135 Million deal, highest paid QB, now restructured

Stafford is a good qb, but he is NOT in the realm of Rothelisberger, Brady, Rodgers, or Brees. This amount of money says he is better. This a fucking joke and this is foolish of the Lions to dish out this sort of coin on this dude.

if any of those guys were 29, and due to become a FA soon, they would all get more than Stafford just did.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017...stafford-appreciation-day-tuesday-open-thread
Matthew Stafford Appreciation Day. No question today, just celebrate.
POD

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017...n-most-important-moment-detroit-lions-history
Matthew Stafford?s extension is the most important moment in Lions history.
Mike Payton explains why Monday night was a monumental moment for the franchise.
POD

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017...-extension-twitter-teammates-patrick-peterson
Best reactions to Matthew Stafford?s five year, $135 million contract extension.
Players and media types took to the hippest place there is to react to Matthew Stafford?s record-setting contract: Social media. Let?s check out some of the responses.
POD

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017...ls-full-breakdown-cap-hits-bonuses-guarantees
Matthew Stafford contract details: Full breakdown of cap hits, bonuses, guarantees.
Here?s a full breakdown of Matthew Stafford?s new contract.
POD

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017...ss-conference-contract-extension-announcement
Matthew Stafford, Bob Quinn hold press conference at 2 p.m. ET.
POD

Stafford is a good qb, but he is NOT in the realm of Rothelisberger, Brady, Rodgers, or Brees. This amount of money says he is better. This a fucking joke and this is foolish of the Lions to dish out this sort of coin on this dude.

Omg....you're dumb. Clue in. This is what franchise QBs make now. Him getting paid this amount of money has nothing to do with saying he's better than anyone. It doesn't work like that. The Lions signed him just in time. He would be getting 30MIL next yr if he didn't re-up. Look at Cousins. Someone is going to pay him 30MIL next yr. Is he better than the players you mentioned? No, he isn't. You sound like an idiot...

Stats dont matter. Hes won like 5 games EVER against +.500 teams....its truly his most pathetic stat. What is it?...1 game vs +.500 teams on the road....probably just as pathetic. If you have a competent qb you have to pay them to keep them. Hes competent. The Jets would have paid him much more to sign....i can list probably 8-10 more teams that feel the same way. We got a deal.

Unfortunately, the market with QBs is at a spot where you dont actually have to perform to get paid. You just need to be a top 10-15 guy who teams think they can build around.

Last edited:
Omg....you're dumb. Clue in. This is what franchise QBs make now. Him getting paid this amount of money has nothing to do with saying he's better than anyone. It doesn't work like that. The Lions signed him just in time. He would be getting 30MIL next yr if he didn't re-up. Look at Cousins. Someone is going to pay him 30MIL next yr. Is he better than the players you mentioned? No, he isn't. You sound like an idiot...

And you are fucking dildo and a homer and you are taking a disagreement personally. Hows that? Is that childish enough for you? You must be a recent fan, like 14yrs old. He's 29 and still not as good as the old timers. See, the thing with Stafford is that he does not make a half-way decent team a SB contender. The others do. That is why he is not worth the money. Just because the Redskins and Raiders like to overpay doesnt mean the rest of the league has to. Good for Stafford for taking advantage.

And you are fucking dildo and a homer and you are taking a disagreement personally. Hows that? Is that childish enough for you? You must be a recent fan, like 14yrs old. He's 29 and still not as good as the old timers. See, the thing with Stafford is that he does not make a half-way decent team a SB contender. The others do. That is why he is not worth the money. Just because the Redskins and Raiders like to overpay doesnt mean the rest of the league has to. Good for Stafford for taking advantage.

Lmao. Yep, i'm taking your stupidity personally, you clown. It's actually funny reading opinions from dummy's like you that have no idea wtf they're talking about lol. You don't let franchise QBs walk out the door. There is probably 20 or so other teams that would pay Stafford to be their QB. Nobody is "worth" the money. The money is outrageous but that's the going rate now. It's actually a real good deal and it saves the team a ton of cap space. He could have fucked over the Lions and played on the tag for the next couple of yrs and they'd be paying him over 60+MIL over the next 2 yrs after this yr. But he didn't. He wanted to stay. But hey, we could have a QB like Hoyer, Osweiler, McCown, Hackenburg, Glennon. Damn, even the ever popular Colin Kaepernick lololol. Does that excite you? Bet it does.

Stats dont matter. Hes won like 5 games EVER against +.500 teams....its truly his most pathetic stat. What is it?...1 game vs +.500 teams on the road....probably just as pathetic. If you have a competent qb you have to pay them to keep them. Hes competent. The Jets would have paid him much more to sign....i can list probably 8-10 more teams that feel the same way. We got a deal.

Unfortunately, the market with QBs is at a spot where you dont actually have to perform to get paid. You just need to be a top 10-15 guy who teams think they can build around.

Wins and losses are not solely on the QB and if you're a top 10 QB in the NFL (which he is...btw) then you're performing.

Lions have 55 million in room next year even after this deal. We don't need to worry about how much money he makes. Quinn's got this under control

38 million once they franchise ziggy

Lions have 55 million in room next year even after this deal. We don't need to worry about how much money he makes. Quinn's got this under control

38 million once they franchise ziggy

Another injury plagued, low performing season and you shouldn't have to franchise him.

Not that it matters much but I'm glad someone agrees with my point of view. I hope I'm dead wrong but 9 years of this dude says he's way overpaid.

You mean like Ebron is a top ten TE? Apparently everyone on the team is a top ten player in your eyes..

Who the hell ever said Ebron was a top 10 TE? NEVER seen anyone on this board even come close to saying that.... So you'd rather we NOT pay Stafford and run with a guy like Paxton fucking Lynch who can't call a play in a huddle or beat out Trevor freaking Simeien for the starting job.... You had to pay Stafford that amount just because that is how the QB market is going. Yes he is highest paid right now until the next QB gets his contract which will make him the next highest. Literally retarded if you think we shouldn't have paid him. Franchise QB's don't just fall off trees ya know and a TON of first and second round guys never make it. I guess what I am asking is what would you have done if we didn't resign him to the extension? Let him walk and draft a rookie? Asinine if you ask me....

The guy also doesn't play defense at all and that has A LOT to do with us losing to teams over .500

When you have teams interested in trading for Jake Rudock because there is just a lack of good QB's in the league.... YOU HAVE TO PAY STAFFORD.

Lmao. Yep, i'm taking your stupidity personally, you clown. It's actually funny reading opinions from dummy's like you that have no idea wtf they're talking about lol. You don't let franchise QBs walk out the door. There is probably 20 or so other teams that would pay Stafford to be their QB. Nobody is "worth" the money. The money is outrageous but that's the going rate now. It's actually a real good deal and it saves the team a ton of cap space. He could have fucked over the Lions and played on the tag for the next couple of yrs and they'd be paying him over 60+MIL over the next 2 yrs after this yr. But he didn't. He wanted to stay. But hey, we could have a QB like Hoyer, Osweiler, McCown, Hackenburg, Glennon. Damn, even the ever popular Colin Kaepernick lololol. Does that excite you? Bet it does.

I could care less I'm a Steelers fan. I'm sure everyone here that disagrees with you is stupid and should have their property vandalized. But whatever, I would like to see the Lions do well because of being my hometown team and all and they have crushed my family's hearts for years. That said, I would have waited him out and let the year finish out.

Not that it matters much but I'm glad someone agrees with my point of view. I hope I'm dead wrong but 9 years of this dude says he's way overpaid.

Not only does this contract say he is the best quarterback in the league, it also says he's the best player. Largest contract ever. Ridiculous!! Lions will be Lions, if he gets them to the Super Bowl over the next 5yrs, it will be worth it, I suppose. How many people here want to bet on that?

Last edited:
Back