Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions sign Stafford to 5 year $135 Million deal, highest paid QB, now restructured

When you look at what the Rams gave up for Goff, the Eagles gave up for Wentz, and what the Bears gave up for Trubisky, I think you should get a clear picture of how hard it is to get a QB that can compete in the NFL.

I bitch about Stafford in games just as much as the rest of you, if not more than most but I know that the alternative is worse. Would you people that are moaning about how much money Stafford is making rather the Lions trade away the next few drafts to take a QB that might not make it to his second NFL contract? Because that's what you're looking at.

Between 2012 and 2014, of all the QBs selected in the first round, you could make the argument that one of them is better than Stafford and I'd even argue against him (Luck).

It's not even like this makes the Lions incapable of signing other talent, it actually frees them up a bit in the short term. If you want to see how a mega contract ties up a team, wait for Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan to hit FA in the next year or so.

I think it was a great deal and I'm glad it got done. People still have every right to their opinion as to why he doesn't deserve it.... and every one of them is probably right. Being aqb in the NFL is just a different animal..... it literally just is what it is.

Who the hell ever said Ebron was a top 10 TE? NEVER seen anyone on this board even come close to saying that.... So you'd rather we NOT pay Stafford and run with a guy like Paxton fucking Lynch who can't call a play in a huddle or beat out Trevor freaking Simeien for the starting job.... You had to pay Stafford that amount just because that is how the QB market is going. Yes he is highest paid right now until the next QB gets his contract which will make him the next highest. Literally retarded if you think we shouldn't have paid him. Franchise QB's don't just fall off trees ya know and a TON of first and second round guys never make it. I guess what I am asking is what would you have done if we didn't resign him to the extension? Let him walk and draft a rookie? Asinine if you ask me....

That's what I read here..

When you look at what the Rams gave up for Goff, the Eagles gave up for Wentz, and what the Bears gave up for Trubisky, I think you should get a clear picture of how hard it is to get a QB that can compete in the NFL.

I bitch about Stafford in games just as much as the rest of you, if not more than most but I know that the alternative is worse. Would you people that are moaning about how much money Stafford is making rather the Lions trade away the next few drafts to take a QB that might not make it to his second NFL contract? Because that's what you're looking at.

Between 2012 and 2014, of all the QBs selected in the first round, you could make the argument that one of them is better than Stafford and I'd even argue against him (Luck).

It's not even like this makes the Lions incapable of signing other talent, it actually frees them up a bit in the short term. If you want to see how a mega contract ties up a team, wait for Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan to hit FA in the next year or so.

But Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan actually did something.. I get you won't find someone better than Matt. But there are QB and teams who have won playoff games without doling out that kind of cash.. You might disagree but he's a glorified game manager these day.. Like Smith from KC. Dink and dunking ..

One could make an argument for all of these being equal to or better than Stafford (same 3 years)

Luck
Wilson (no need to limit it to one round)
Cousins
Mariota (a stretch but I think he could be right there)

I could care less I'm a Steelers fan. I'm sure everyone here that disagrees with you is stupid and should have their property vandalized. But whatever, I would like to see the Lions do well because of being my hometown team and all and they have crushed my family's hearts for years. That said, I would have waited him out and let the year finish out.

He would cost more if you wait it out. Plus you lose your franchise tag because there is not enough time to make a deal before free agency opens.

27 million per year. Was a discount. Open market is 30 million per year for him with all the QB desperate teams with cap space. Franchise tag twice is 58 million for 2 years (29 average). And with a tag you have to get a deal done by July 15 and you can't negotiate after that

Last edited:
I'm fine with the total amounts, that's fair market value, no home team discount, which I'm okay with it's a business.

However I don't understand reducing his cap hit for this year. I don't see the benefit unless something else is in the works. But to be fair I never took the time to figure out how cap carryover works from year to year.
Anyone hear any reasoning behind this?

Last edited:
I'm fine with the total amounts, that's fair market value, no home team discount, which I'm okay with it's a business.

However I don't understand reducing his cap hit for this year. I don't see the benefit unless something else is in the works. But to be fair I never took the time to figure out how cap carryover works from year to year.
Anyone hear any reasoning behind this?

I guess it gives them flexibility in case they want to sign someone this year and if they don't they get to carry it over to next season. In that regard, it makes a lot of sense.

Not only does this contract say he is the best quarterback in the league, it also says he's the best player. Largest contract ever. Ridiculous!! Lions will be Lions, if he gets them to the Super Bowl over the next 5yrs, it will be worth it, I suppose. How many people here want to bet on that?

Stop commenting, you twit lol. Nobody on Earth thinks Stafford's the best player in the NFL.

I could care less I'm a Steelers fan. I'm sure everyone here that disagrees with you is stupid and should have their property vandalized. But whatever, I would like to see the Lions do well because of being my hometown team and all and they have crushed my family's hearts for years. That said, I would have waited him out and let the year finish out.

Ya, that's not the way it works in the NFL. Keep trying though...

I guess it gives them flexibility in case they want to sign someone this year and if they don't they get to carry it over to next season. In that regard, it makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, but I thought they were already at 7 million in space. So I figured they were good if they had to sign someone. Because whoever they sign probably won't command tons of money.

If they can carry over 100% it makes sense. I just didn't know if that was the case or if you only got to carry over a certain %.

I mean we all knew it was going to happen. Get over with it and win some damn games . Playoff wins are coming soon !!!! Hopefully!

Last edited:
One could make an argument for all of these being equal to or better than Stafford (same 3 years)

Luck
Wilson (no need to limit it to one round)
Cousins
Mariota (a stretch but I think he could be right there)

The whole point of including only round 1 was because if the Lions let Stafford walk, you know damn well that they aren't drafting the heir apparent outside of the 1st round. You really trust the Lions to land their franchise QB outside of the 1st? I don't.

But Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan actually did something.. I get you won't find someone better than Matt. But there are QB and teams who have won playoff games without doling out that kind of cash..

Recently? Who?

You might disagree but he's a glorified game manager these day.. Like Smith from KC. Dink and dunking ..

In 2016 Stafford was in the top 10 for completions over 20 yards. Smith didn't crack the top 20. I get that Stafford isn't heaving deep like he used to but that comparison is silly.

Last edited:
Back