Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions sign Stafford to 5 year $135 Million deal, highest paid QB, now restructured

Recently? Who?

Well Alex Smith is one that recently won a game

In 2016 Stafford was in the top 10 for completions over 20 yards. Smith didn't crack the top 20. I get that Stafford isn't heaving deep like he used to but that comparison is silly.

Stafford was one of 3 QBs with significant playing time that got more than 50% of their yards after the catch. They are:

Alex Smith
Sam Bradford
Matt Stafford

I'm okay with Matt Stafford entering the game managing crew. We seen we can't win with him as the "gunslinger" He was missing one of the most important things of being one. Accuracy, especially mid to deep throws.

Last edited:
Well Alex Smith is one that recently won a game

Stafford was one of 3 QBs with significant playing time that got more than 50% of their yards after the catch. They are:

Alex Smith
Sam Bradford
Matt Stafford

I'm okay with Matt Stafford entering the game managing crew. We seen we can't win with him as the "gunslinger" He was missing one of the most important things of being one. Accuracy, especially mid to deep throws.

This is it.. The Detroit Lions get a lot of YAC. It's good that we have some athletes who can get those yards.. Which is why I compared him in a way to Alex Smith. Not comparing the two but there are similarities. It also works for him, but I rather have that Gunslinger back..

Stafford can do it all.

Short throws is a result of the Oline not Stafford
we have good YAC receivers in Tate (and Ebron and Riddick)
And lack of run game, sometimes you use short throws as run game

Stafford can go deep, intermediate or short. He protects the ball much better under Caldwell and leads this offense despite no run game due to injury, hit or miss Oline/some injury, high drops or short fields (only 6 last year which was last in the league for teams)

Stafford is an elite QB that gets made to look mediocre due to lack of support (mainly due to support injuries)

the Lions are holess....unless he is making excuses for Stafford...then he has no support.

Come on....follow along!

Injuries create holes.

100 qb rating until Staffords injury. And abdullah, Riddick, reiff and swanson

Dak, Wilson....even Brock Osweiler won a playoff game last year lol. Dont shoot the messenger....you asked the question.

Prescott and Wilson? Those were rookie contracts. You're saying you'd rather the Lions roll with Jake Rudock? Not even close to the same thing.

Brock Osweiler's latest contract was worth 72$ million with $37 million in the first two years and his only playoff win was against a Raiders team that was decimated by injuries and had to start Connor fucking Cook. So I don't even know how that applies either.

I really wish there was a way to see this board's hypothetical reaction if the Lions didn't keep Stafford around because he was 'too expensive'. Same fucking people would be bitching about that too. Signing Stafford to this large contract in no way hurts us. He's only 29 years old and was leaps and bounds better than the alternatives, regardless of whether you people think he deserved to be paid or not. You people are really going to lose your minds when it's time for Mariotta or Winston's next contract.

He was missing one of the most important things of being one. Accuracy, especially mid to deep throws.

This is my biggest criticism. For as big an arm as he has, his touch on deep passes is seemingly always off. If he started making half of those throws, we'd be contenders for sure.

Prescott and Wilson? Those were rookie contracts. You're saying you'd rather the Lions roll with Jake Rudock? Not even close to the same thing.

Brock Osweiler's latest contract was worth 72$ million with $37 million in the first two years and his only playoff win was against a Raiders team that was decimated by injuries and had to start Connor fucking Cook. So I don't even know how that applies either.

I really wish there was a way to see this board's hypothetical reaction if the Lions didn't keep Stafford around because he was 'too expensive'. Same fucking people would be bitching about that too. Signing Stafford to this large contract in no way hurts us. He's only 29 years old and was leaps and bounds better than the alternatives, regardless of whether you people think he deserved to be paid or not. You people are really going to lose your minds when it's time for Mariotta or Winston's next contract.

QB in the NFL is like no other position in sports. If you have one you better keep him. Matt isn't the best...I think he is somewhere in that 10-15 range (probably closer to 10 than 15). When you get down to that 22-32 range...there is a pretty big drop off. The Lions had to pay him. The good thing about the NFL...you aren't married to him forever. A few years down the road...if he isn't working out...just get rid of him.

Only idiots think win loss is a qb stat

Qb rating is t even a real qb stat. It's a team stat

You need protection, less drops, more short fields for easier tds, more drives, less weapon mistakes and sometimes good down and distance for good qb Ratings. Plus making the throws with good decisions. More run game leads to more td opportunities too and less int chances

QB in the NFL is like no other position in sports. If you have one you better keep him. Matt isn't the best...I think he is somewhere in that 10-15 range (probably closer to 10 than 15). When you get down to that 22-32 range...there is a pretty big drop off. The Lions had to pay him. The good thing about the NFL...you aren't married to him forever. A few years down the road...if he isn't working out...just get rid of him.

Crazy thing is this is only going to keep escalating. I'm glad Stafford was next because Cousins is going to make more, then Ryan...at some point the bubble is going to burst and a team is going to either get burned or lose their QB.

Crazy thing is this is only going to keep escalating. I'm glad Stafford was next because Cousins is going to make more, then Ryan...at some point the bubble is going to burst and a team is going to either get burned or lose their QB.

You mean like when the Skins don't give Cousins 30 a year and he goes and gets paid in SF next year?

You mean like when the Skins don't give Cousins 30 a year and he goes and gets paid in SF next year?

Yep....Cousins, Ryan, Rodgers, Winston, Mariota, Prescott etc etc etc. These guys are all gonna make silly money coming up.

You need protection, less drops, more short fields for easier tds, more drives, less weapon mistakes and sometimes good down and distance for good qb Ratings. Plus making the throws with good decisions. More run game leads to more td opportunities too and less int chances

QB rating is a real QB stat. Every stat in football is dependent on other players doing their part.

QB rating is a real QB stat. Every stat in football is dependent on other players doing their part.

QB is more dependent on other factors than anything else.

TDs, yards are just counts

QB rating is a calculation based on a number of different things.

QB rating is a team stat. Fact period.

Protection, drops, weapon mistakes, lack of drives, lack of short fields, lack of run game making easier TD opps can alter QB rating greatly

QB is more dependent on other factors than anything else.

TDs, yards are just counts

QB rating is a calculation based on a number of different things.

QB rating is a team stat. Fact period.

Protection, drops, weapon mistakes, lack of drives, lack of short fields, lack of run game making easier TD opps can alter QB rating greatly

Statistic: Noun - 1. a fact or piece of data from a study of a large quantity of numerical data.

QB rating is a calculation based on several stats to make one number. That doesn't mean it too isn't a stat. All stats are dependent on other outside influences in a team sport.

Anyone who thinks QB rating isn't a QB stat is a moron. Anyone who thinks that QB rating is the be all end all, in determining a QB's ability, is also a moron.

A great qb that loses all the time accomplishes nothing. So whats the point of having him. Unless Stafford aspires to be Archie Manning....he better start winning some fucking football games against good teams. 5 wins in 8 years is terrible.....especially since you say our team has been so great that entire time.

Stafford is playing winning football carrying injured teams

Qb rating is a stat. A team stat not an individual stat

Last edited:
Back