Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Has Officially Retired

Can someone with better contract understanding tell me how much Fitzgerald actually "gave up" in that new deal? Because from a practical standpoint, he made the most important money (the guaranteed stuff) up front in a signing bonus, right? Most of the cap committed to his contract in the later years of his contract was of the base (non-guaranteed) variety. So while the team may have had to pay cap hell if they just cut him, how much guaranteed future money was Fitz giving up? Specifically, did he end up with more or less total guaranteed money by restructuring?

There was no guaranteed money left on his original deal. It's really hard to gauge because you have to compare it to what he would have made on the open market had he been cut. Since he was coming off of a down year, it stands to reason the Cardinals probably 'overpaid'. In hindsight, I don't think the Cards regret it at all though.

Last edited:
The big difference is Larry wasn't threatening to retire. A guy who wanted to play for another decade may be more open to a contract renegotiation than a guy who is likely playing his final year.

Last edited:
The big difference is Larry wasn't threatening to retire. A guy who wanted to play for another decade may be more open to a contract renegotiation to a guy who is likely playing his final year.

He can renegotiate and still make nearly the same amount of $$ as his original deal.....all the while giving the team some cap space.

It's all up to him though. I would imagine that if he's willing to retire and make less than $1M it's not really about money. Hopefully he'd be willing to give the team a little flexibility.

I hate seeing former NFL players with ailment's so I'm a proponent of guys leaving early. It's tough because he plays here but his leg injuries and possibly getting hit in the head more I almost hope he doesn't come back. From someone who is disabled, I don't think the risks are worth the rewards.

I hate seeing former NFL players with ailment's so I'm a proponent of guys leaving early. It's tough because he plays here but his leg injuries and possibly getting hit in the head more I almost hope he doesn't come back. From someone who is disabled, I don't think the risks are worth the rewards.

I'm with you. I applaud any player that leaves the game early.

Sounds like he is retiring now.

Lions star receiver Calvin Johnson told his family and a close circle of friends before last season that 2015 would be his final year in the NFL, and he delivered the same message to coach Jim Caldwell the day after the regular season ended, sources told ESPN.

Caldwell told Johnson not to rush his decision -- to take his time, sources told ESPN. Out of respect to Caldwell, Johnson agreed to do just that, according to sources.

The Lions have not given up hope that Johnson could change his mind, but one person who knows Johnson well said, "He's pretty content with his decision."

After nine seasons in the NFL, Johnson's body is beaten down. He has battled lingering ankle injuries and general body soreness to the point that it makes it difficult for him to return for another season during which time he would turn 31 years old.

Johnson's body has been so sore, and his conviction so strong, that he shared his decision to retire after the 2015 season with only two teammates -- quarterback Matthew Stafford and linebacker Stephen Tulloch, with the request that they keep it private and confidential, according to sources.

Stafford and Tulloch honored the request, and the rest of the Lions organization did not learn of Johnson's plans to retire until after this season, according to sources. At that time, the Lions issued a statement from Johnson that said, "Like many players at this stage of their career, I am currently evaluating options for my future. I would expect to have a decision regarding this matter in the not-too-distant future."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14686284/calvin-johnson-told-detroit-lions-plans-retire

Last edited:
Apparently Calvin informed the Lions prior to the season that 2015 would be his final season. They have known for a while, but were hoping to change his mind. Caldwell asked him to take his time with it.

Schefter reporting that he's done. "Content with his decision". Still holding out hope.

Last edited:
Only the Lions.

Calvin was the most physically gifted WR in NFL history with the possible exception of Randy Moss. What a shame he is leasing, but it sure was awesome watching him for 9 seasons. I'll never forget his record breaking game against the Cowboys.

Will look back on his time as a Lion fondly. Hate to think what this offense would have looked like a couple of those seasons earlier in his career if we wasn't playing. Great guy, I'm glad he'll finish life in relatively good health.

Last edited:
Only the Lions.

Calvin was the most physically gifted WR in NFL history with the possible exception of Randy Moss. What a shame he is leasing, but it sure was awesome watching him for 9 seasons. I'll never forget his record breaking game against the Cowboys.

Only the Lions? Wtf does that mean?? Lol

Was really hoping for 1 more year. Thought he might rest a bit and give it one last hurrah!!!

I'll hold out for that 1% chance it happens........but if not......thanks for the memories CJ. He was both of my sons first sports hero......so they actually have taken this news a bit harder than I thought a 9 and 4 year old would. No tears......just a lot of questions.

The hall calls in 5 years!!

Only the Lions.

Moss never won anything , so thats a stupid comparison because you are implying the Lions sucked , therefor Calvin never had a chance to win a Superbowl .

If that's not what you are implying , then please explain .

Both good and bad with this decision. More bad.

Good...we have a shit ton of money.

Bad...Tate is the only non pathetic WR on our roster.

Even worse...this list of WR FAs

Anquan Boldin WR 35 SF TBD $6,909,000 UFA
Malcom Floyd WR 34 SD TBD $4,716,668 UFA
Percy Harvin WR 27 BUF TBD $4,000,000 UFA
Rod Streater WR 27 OAK TBD $2,356,000 UFA
Jermaine Kearse WR 25 SEA TBD $2,356,000 UFA
Brian Quick WR 26 LA TBD $1,713,918 UFA
Mohamed Sanu WR 26 CIN TBD $1,682,813 UFA
Andre Caldwell WR 30 DEN TBD $1,550,000 UFA
Andre Holmes WR 27 OAK TBD $1,542,000 UFA
Alshon Jeffery WR 25 CHI TBD $1,447,036 UFA
Rueben Randle WR 24 NYG TBD $1,047,432 UFA
Travis Benjamin WR 26 CLE TBD $779,250 UFA

Last edited:
Was really hoping for 1 more year. Thought he might rest a bit and give it one last hurrah!!!

I'll hold out for that 1% chance it happens........but if not......thanks for the memories CJ. He was both of my sons first sports hero......so they actually have taken this news a bit harder than I thought a 9 and 4 year old would. No tears......just a lot of questions.

The hall calls in 5 years!!

not 5, but eventually

Both good and bad with this decision. More bad.

Good...we have a shit ton of money.

Bad...Tate is the only non pathetic WR on our roster.

Even worse...this list of WR FAs

Anquan Boldin WR 35 SF TBD $6,909,000 UFA
Malcom Floyd WR 34 SD TBD $4,716,668 UFA
Percy Harvin WR 27 BUF TBD $4,000,000 UFA
Rod Streater WR 27 OAK TBD $2,356,000 UFA
Jermaine Kearse WR 25 SEA TBD $2,356,000 UFA
Brian Quick WR 26 LA TBD $1,713,918 UFA
Mohamed Sanu WR 26 CIN TBD $1,682,813 UFA
Andre Caldwell WR 30 DEN TBD $1,550,000 UFA
Andre Holmes WR 27 OAK TBD $1,542,000 UFA
Alshon Jeffery WR 25 CHI TBD $1,447,036 UFA
Rueben Randle WR 24 NYG TBD $1,047,432 UFA
Travis Benjamin WR 26 CLE TBD $779,250 UFA

Not an impressive list by any means . Someone mentioned Josh Gordon , whats the options on him ? Be great to somehow get him .

I don't think anyone will say "Only the Lions." Calvin was a beast and regardless what team, he'd have been a beast. Glad I got to watch him so much. 9 years is a good long career. Based on his era, he's was one of the best. Weather he's a first ballot HOF he certainly is worthy.

Josh Gordon, Ashlon Jeffrey, and then Travis Benjamin are the 3 guys I can think of.

Idk seems like if his mind was firm on it he'd just come out and did it already it's been long enough now IMO since "giving it more thought" at Caldwell request from season end no? I think he's still considering one more year

I mean it would be a damn shame if he missed out on our super bowl victory in 2017!

Back