Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Has Officially Retired

Hate to say it but if this is what it takes, then he should probably just retire. He has made his bank already, time to focus on the next era in his life.

Lions aren't winning a Super Bowl next year anyway, even with the soft schedule.

haha , the article says he would still be back for wed , thurs , friday practices and saturday walk through

Dude, you're conversing with a full blown retard lol. Logical thinking is out the fucking window with this clown. Calvin gets an extra day of rest....so what? The guy barely practices anyways lol. And all this is, is a "what if" article anyways. Calvin might not even like the idea!! But i dont think its bad. This is professional sports and SUPERSTARS are treated accordingly. They are coddled, they are pampered and they are treated differently than the rest. It's total ignorance to think otherwise, this isnt new...its the way it is lol. If it keeps CJ happy then im all in. The Lions need him IMO.

Hate to say it but if this is what it takes, then he should probably just retire. He has made his bank already, time to focus on the next era in his life.

Lions aren't winning a Super Bowl next year anyway, even with the soft schedule.

Hogwash..the lions will in fact win the super bowl next year!

Dude, you're conversing with a full blown retard lol. Logical thinking is out the fucking window with this clown. Calvin gets an extra day of rest....so what? The guy barely practices anyways lol. And all this is, is a "what if" article anyways. Calvin might not even like the idea!! But i dont think its bad. This is professional sports and SUPERSTARS are treated accordingly. They are coddled, they are pampered and they are treated differently than the rest. It's total ignorance to think otherwise, this isnt new...its the way it is lol. If it keeps CJ happy then im all in. The Lions need him IMO.

LOL , i was trying to be as reasonable as possible . I'm on thin ice , so i have to be nice lmao .

I know it's been said before......but even if CJ plays another year......it has to be at a reduced rate. No way you can have him be a $24M cap hit......even as good as he still is.

sure....pay him half his salary and he can take half the week off. done.

The NFLPA union just left you a message with their opinion on that idea:

giphy.gif

The NFLPA union just left you a message with their opinion on that idea:

giphy.gif

That's about what he SHOULD be paid......$14M......he makes money......Lions save money......and hopefully Quinn could use that $10 M cap savings wisely!!!

Make it happen Quinn!!!!

That's about what he SHOULD be paid......$14M......he makes money......Lions save money......and hopefully Quinn could use that $10 M cap savings wisely!!!

Make it happen Quinn!!!!

If players were paid what they SHOULD make the Lions (and most other teams) would have a shit ton have cap space. :lmao:

If players were paid what they SHOULD make the Lions (and most other teams) would have a shit ton have cap space. :lmao:

True.

Just sayin though......if he decides to play another year or even two......his contract needs to be redone. 2 years.......$30M........1st year guaranteed.......no signing bonus. Fair for all sides.

True.

Just sayin though......if he decides to play another year or even two......his contract needs to be redone. 2 years.......$30M........1st year guaranteed.......no signing bonus. Fair for all sides.

I'm 99.9% sure the union would throw a giant fit if a player ripped up a contract that was worth upwards of $65M for a 2 year deal worth $30M.

I can't think of a single instance in any sport where a player forfeited a larger contract that was already in effect for a more team friendly one, can anyone else think of one?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if they could do that. I just don't see it happening :(

Last edited:
I'm 99.9% sure the union would throw a giant fit if a player ripped up a contract that was worth upwards of $65M for a 2 year deal worth $30M.

I can't think of a single instance in any sport where a player forfeited a larger contract that was already in effect for a more team friendly one, can anyone else think of one?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if they could do that. I just don't see it happening :(

Ummmmmmmm........Larry Fitzgerald just did it last year. Had 4 years left on an 8 year $120M deal and signed a 2 year $22M deal. Fewer years.....less money. It's up to the player.

Happens all the time.

Google.......it's your friend.

Last edited:
Ummmmmmmm........Larry Fitzgerald just did it last year. Had 4 years left on an 8 year $120M deal and signed a 2 year $22M deal. Fewer years.....less money. It's up to the player.

Happens all the time.

Google.......it's your friend.

A bit condescending but fair enough, I appreciate the example. They do seem very similar in situations.

It sounds like it's more on Calvin than Quinn to get it done. For a guy that sounds like he's got one foot out the door, I'm not sure why he'd take a pay cut. Hopefully it was just a long season and he's ready to go.

A bit condescending but fair enough, I appreciate the example. They do seem very similar in situations.

It sounds like it's more on Calvin than Quinn to get it done. For a guy that sounds like he's got one foot out the door, I'm not sure why he'd take a pay cut. Hopefully it was just a long season and he's ready to go.

It's not much of a pay cut for CJ.......if the Lions were to sign him to a one year, $16.9M deal this year.....he would actually make more money than what his current contract calls for.

But you are correct.....it's all up to CJ to rework the deal. It's up to the Lions to either keep the current deal in place.....rework it (if Calvin also agrees)......or cut him.

Last edited:
Actually, looking at it again, the Lions would have to give him a deal similar to Larry Fitzgeralds to get much cap relief. A one year, $11M deal or a two year $22M deal saves the Lions $5M this year and next.......and CJ makes about the same amount of money as he would as a FA (if the market for someone his age/injury history/retirement plans would be about $10M-$12M/year).

Make it happen, CJ.

Actually, looking at it again, the Lions would have to give him a deal similar to Larry Fitzgeralds to get much cap relief. A one year, $11M deal or a two year $22M deal saves the Lions $5M this year and next.......and CJ makes about the same amount of money as he would as a FA (if the market for someone his age/injury history/retirement plans would be about $10M-$12M/year).

Make it happen, CJ.

Fitz was a solid example. If you look at Larry's old contract, what he had left on the table is almost identical to what Calvin has now, so even though Calvin is owed a bit more than Larry was it's very doable.

And it seems Larry is currently better than CJ, so performance-to-contract wise hard to argue CJ deserves more.

And it seems Larry is currently better than CJ, so performance-to-contract wise hard to argue CJ deserves more.

Whoa.....slow that Mustang down, Sally. Fitz had a good year......but I don't think he is currently better that Calvin Johnson is.

It's somewhat close.....but Calvin sees twice the coverage Fitzgearld sees and puts up similar/better numbers.

One is a slot WR and the other lines up on the outside and faces #1 CBs every week with a safety over the top. Not sure how you compare those two really.

Can someone with better contract understanding tell me how much Fitzgerald actually "gave up" in that new deal? Because from a practical standpoint, he made the most important money (the guaranteed stuff) up front in a signing bonus, right? Most of the cap committed to his contract in the later years of his contract was of the base (non-guaranteed) variety. So while the team may have had to pay cap hell if they just cut him, how much guaranteed future money was Fitz giving up? Specifically, did he end up with more or less total guaranteed money by restructuring?

Back