Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Has Officially Retired

I feel very fortunate I had great relationships with both my mom and dad. Always there for me, just my mom now. Now my brothers and sisters, that's a bit hit and miss.

I feel very fortunate I had great relationships with both my mom and dad. Always there for me, just my mom now. Now my brothers and sisters, that's a bit hit and miss.

My goal was to create what you have with your folks for my kids. Mostly successful, still a work in progress...

"Johnson plays games on Sunday and then does not report to the team until Wednesday. He could stay home or fly to Atlanta to heal and clear his head. Johnson has missed a number of practices the past several years because of hand, knee and ankle issues. However, he almost always came to the practice facility in Allen Park for treatment or to be around the team."

I'd tell him to go fuck himself!

You guys are acting like this would be Calvin's idea . It says the Lions would propose this to CJ .

I don't want the Lions making any accommodations for Calvin. He's an NFL player that makes gazillions of dollars. If he can't go through the entire season like every other player that doesn't get special treatment, then don't consider this.

Only the Lions would pull a stunt like that if true.

Sounds like the Barry Bonds treatment that San Francisco agreed upon.

I don't want the Lions making any accommodations for Calvin. He's an NFL player that makes gazillions of dollars. If he can't go through the entire season like every other player that doesn't get special treatment, then don't consider this.

Only the Lions would pull a stunt like that if true.

Or some guy named Jimmy Johnson, who readily admitted that his stars received preferential treatment. How'd that work out for Dallas (until Jerry Jones wrecked it)?

I'd have a huge problem. Why does he get preferential treatment from the Lions? Stafford gets sore, Bell has half a leg left, Quin seems to be getting roughed up a little. Why not those guys too? Where does it end? If I'm one of those veterans, I'd come out and say "Man, I'm sore, thinking about retirement too, but I'll come back if..."

This isn't preferential treatment. This is basically taking the whole damn week off every week during the season. Don't like it at all.

Last edited:
I think you're painting a mighty wide swath with the righteousness brush after some nitwit wrote a "what if" article.

It's an article, I have an opinion about it. If it's true, I think it's crap. Not sure what else I need to elaborate on?

Every team does this , this isnt something the Lions are just making up for Calvin . You are always hearing how older players sit out practices during the week in order to get them ready for Game day . I dont think its a big deal at all

I'd have a huge problem. Why does he get preferential treatment from the Lions? Stafford gets sore, Bell has half a leg left, Quin seems to be getting roughed up a little. Why not those guys too? Where does it end? If I'm one of those veterans, I'd come out and say "Man, I'm sore, thinking about retirement too, but I'll come back if..."

This isn't preferential treatment. This is basically taking the whole damn week off every week during the season. Don't like it at all.

haha , the article says he would still be back for wed , thurs , friday practices and saturday walk through

I know I read it (being over the top), I just don't want to see it. Don't think it's a good practice, especially for someone who's career has one or two years left.

This isn't some thing where a guy plays the season and takes a day off or two. This sounds like it's in the contract and the team will hold those rules to get him back. I think it's a desperate ploy. He either plays or doesn't. If he's sore, take a day off here and there. I don't want to see something as solidified as this.

Every team does this , this isnt something the Lions are just making up for Calvin . You are always hearing how older players sit out practices during the week in order to get them ready for Game day . I dont think its a big deal at all

Agree that every team does it. But usually they don't stay at their home. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I can just see when other players get hurt, they might want the same treatment.

Id have no problem with this if his teammates don't. Guys get Mondays off anyway, typically, so basically he would miss Tuesdays treatments and practice.

My only "condition" to this is that CJ take an acceptable pay cut and be paid to the level he performed last year......which is a $12M-$13M WR. He probably wouldn't be willing to go that far.....but a $15M-16M pay day is something that would benefit both sides.

Last edited:
Back