Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2017 Playoffs - Astros electronic sign stealing - Now Astros fire Luhnow and Hinch

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...says-was-changing-signs-every-pitch-vs-astros
Catcher Jonathan Lucroy says he was changing signs every pitch vs. Astros.
espn

According to Lucroy, the Athletics informed Major League Baseball about their experience with the Astros, but no investigation was started until Fiers went on the record with The Athletic in November.

Athletics general manager David Forst confirmed to The Mercury News last week that Oakland complained to the league well before MLB's investigation commenced.

Word began spreading quickly about the Astros, and Lucroy said he would text others around the league about what he had learned.

"It was crazy, some of the pitches they would take," Lucroy said. "It was like, 'Man, these guys are some of the best hitters I've ever seen.' It all made sense when I found out how they were doing it. Then it was like, 'What are we going to do?' I was with Oakland, and we had let MLB know, and they just called and said something. They didn't go through the whole investigation. It wasn't until Fiers came out publicly that they went and looked at it really hard."

I think it's pretty funny. People get on their high horse about what the Astros stealing signs but stealing signs is an acceptable practice. They just didn't like how they were stealing them. Does that make any sense? That's like saying it's ok to steal my car as long as you pick the lock and hotwire it the old fashioned way. But if you clone my keyless key fob and just unlock it and take off...that's offensive!

I'm fine with steroid use as well. Baseball was more exciting in the steroid era.

I agree. I wish everyone was on steroids. Then ball jumped. But if they are not then everyone should be off them. Steroids is way worse then this sigh stealing shit.
I think Gambling and throwing games is the ultimate worst thing a player can do. I just don?t get all the people screaming at the Astros because I Guarantee other teams probably wish they had thought of it first. It is freaking sign stealing. It has been going on since baseball signs were used. So forever.

Can you imagine the uproar if the Astros under Dusty Baker make the World Series ? Holy crap the ratings will go through the roof all the people who will be rooting against them. I am rooting for a Astros dodgers World Series now. Hey If the Tigers can’t make it might as well be a team with Controversy! Can you imagine If the Red Sox and Astro’s make the ALC. dang now that I do not sent because I hate the Red Sox.

Can you imagine the uproar if the Astros under Dusty Baker make the World Series ? Holy crap the ratings will go through the roof all the people who will be rooting against them. I am rooting for a Astros dodgers World Series now. Hey If the Tigers can?t make it might as well be a team with Controversy! Can you imagine If the Red Sox and Astro?s make the ALC. dang now that I do not sent because I hate the Red Sox.

well, on paper I would have to think that it's either the Yankees or Astros as the favorites in the AL.

I agree. I wish everyone was on steroids. Then ball jumped. But if they are not then everyone should be off them. Steroids is way worse then this sigh stealing shit.
I think Gambling and throwing games is the ultimate worst thing a player can do. I just don?t get all the people screaming at the Astros because I Guarantee other teams probably wish they had thought of it first. It is freaking sign stealing. It has been going on since baseball signs were used. So forever.

I have the opposite-middling view. As far as steroids its one 1 person vs the 1 pitcher. Now having 70% on steroids, like Canseco said, yes it's worst.

The other point, stealing a sign or attempting to steal a sign from 2nd base - there are ways to counter it, change signs between C and SP. Not much you can do when you don't know its happening. Banging trash can, wearing electron devices is way wrong.

They banned Rose because integrity. How is this better than that? And worse of all seeing JV after all the "steroids and cheats are bad for the game." Only to become one of them.

Back