Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2018 Free Agency

I hope we don't get Butler. I've never been impressed with him. I get he made that one great play in the Superbowl. However he really has done little else.

At best he seems to be an average #2. However I feel based on name and that one play he will be paid a lot more. Pass on him.

I hope we do, but that this year significantly reduced his cost. This last year he was poor by his standards, but average overall. But since he became a starter in NE, he's actual been one of the better corners (better than most #1s) in the league.

That play in the super bowl is remembered more by fans than front offices. He's actually a good cb, and I'd love our secondary with him as the #2

I hope we do, but that this year significantly reduced his cost. This last year he was poor by his standards, but average overall. But since he became a starter in NE, he's actual been one of the better corners (better than most #1s) in the league.

That play in the super bowl is remembered more by fans than front offices. He's actually a good cb, and I'd love our secondary with him as the #2

Agreed. Butler was arguably the Patriots best defensive player last year at any position. There is a reason the entire world was shocked when he was benched in the Super Bowl.

Agreed. Butler was arguably the Patriots best defensive player last year at any position. There is a reason the entire world was shocked when he was benched in the Super Bowl.

Based on what? There were a lot of Patriots games on TV, the ones I saw I never thought, wow Butler is making some plays. Stephon Gilmore looked better than Butler, also went up against the #1 more often.

People were shocked he was benched because he was a starter and not listed on the injury report, not because he was their best player.

Edit:
Looked it up on PFF, show Buter as the #51 rated CB. Which would put him as an averageish #2.
Gilmore was #7
Slay was #11.

He would be an improvement over Lawson, but I still feel people will pay too much for him.

Rashaan Melvin
Patrick Robinson

Are two CBs I would look at before Butler.

Last edited:
http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#tab=rankings

Malcom Butler ranked the #9 overall free agent by NFL.com

"A relative down year and Shakespearean-tragedy ending to his Patriots career in the Super Bowl could keep Butler's price down. Smart teams will pounce, knowing he was a top-10 cornerback in 2015 and '16."

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018...ctions-analysis-devon-kennard-christian-jones
Detroit Lions 2018 free agency: Immediate reactions, analysis to Devon Kennard, Christian Jones signings.
A look at the instant reactions to the Lions’ two LB signings.
POD

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2018...edge-devon-kennard-joining-the-detroit-lions/
Instant analysis of EDGE Devon Kennard joining the Detroit Lions.
LionsWire

Recently signed #Lions LB Christian Jones only missed 1 tackle in the run game last year.
Best for all #NFL inside LBs that that played at least 150 snaps in the run game.

Last edited:
Needed lb depth. Kennard is interesting cause he was more of a de in usc... could see some 3-4.

According to PFF and @PFF_Brett, Devon Kennard was mainly an edge rusher in 2017. Hybrid DE/OLB.
Actually graded lower than Whitehead. But different positions.

According to PFF and @PFF_Brett, Devon Kennard was mainly an edge rusher in 2017. Hybrid DE/OLB.
Actually graded lower than Whitehead. But different positions.

I think he will fill the Kyle Van Noy role in our defense. Which is ironic? because? well? you know?

Back