Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2018 Head Coach Search Matt Patricia

Do you have ANY evidence of this?? You create the narrative that the Lions are forcing Patricia's hand and then act as if its fact. It's not.

IMO....Quinn wasn't tied to Caldwell. He assessed the situation and saw no better options out there so he chose continuity over cleaning house. I think Patricia was his choice from day 1.

There is NO WAY Patricia would take a job being forced to keep an OC he doesn't want.....not when he basically had his choice of teams. If he keeps JBC it's because he wants him....not anything Quinn or the Fords forced on him.

Nope. But just doing my best to read the tea leaves.

Do you honestly think Quinn wanted that guy? Martha made it clear that she loved Caldwell.

Honestly, I don't really care what the circumstances are that will keep JBC here. I just can't stand it, I want to see Patricia be able to do whatever the hell he wants to do with this staff, not be told he has to keep the OC. And the fact that the reports are coming out NOW that JBC is likely going to stay can only lead me to believe that he's going to be the OC no matter what guy comes in.

Last edited:
Nope. But just doing my best to read the tea leaves.

Do you honestly think Quinn wanted that guy? Martha made it clear that she loved Caldwell.

Honestly, I don't really care what the circumstances are that will keep JBC here. I just can't stand it, I want to see Patricia be able to do whatever the hell he wants to do with this staff, not be told he has to keep the OC. And the fact that the reports are coming out NOW that JBC is likely going to stay can only lead me to believe that he's going to be the OC no matter what guy comes in.

Quinn said after he fired Caldwell that the new coach would have full autonomy in selecting his staff.

Also, given that Patricia was pretty much a finalist for just about every open coaching job, and that just days ago he was seen as the favorite in New York (which is why I have serious doubts about today's report too) I doubt he would have taken the job if anything was being forced on him.

He could have choosen a few teams. He's not choosing the one putting him in handcuffs. This was his call.

Quinn said after he fired Caldwell that the new coach would have full autonomy in selecting his staff.

Also, given that Patricia was pretty much a finalist for just about every open coaching job, and that just days ago he was seen as the favorite in New York (which is why I have serious doubts about today's report too) I doubt he would have taken the job if anything was being forced on him.

He could have choosen a few teams. He's not choosing the one putting him in handcuffs. This was his call.

I sure hope that's the case. Because I don't know how often this happens when a new coach comes in and elects to keep pieces of the last staff around. Personally, I want to see the entire team go through a philosophy change, offensively and defensively. I don't like a professional athlete (Stafford) saying he's "comfortable" with the current OC. I want that dude to be as uncomfortable as possible while he works to get better every week.

I sure hope that's the case. Because I don't know how often this happens when a new coach comes in and elects to keep pieces of the last staff around. Personally, I want to see the entire team go through a philosophy change, offensively and defensively. I don't like a professional athlete (Stafford) saying he's "comfortable" with the current OC. I want that dude to be as uncomfortable as possible while he works to get better every week.

Why says Patricia doesn't want Jim Bob. I know new HC usually want "their guys" but does Patricia have his guys?

The only reason we're talking about JBC is because of Stafford's comments in support of him. I think it was the absolute wrong move to make those statements in public during the hiring process.

If Stafford never makes those comments and Patricia keeps JBC, it looks more like Patricia's decision.

Lol i know more than you ever will about football

Shumur failed with browns. Still hard to judge since browns so terrible talent wise
You said none of the candidates had ever been head coaches before. I called out your stupidity, and instead of admitting you were wrong answer with this? GTFO with that weak ass shit you pathetic troll.

Last edited:
Look at the history of first time head coaches. Do any of them really have "their guys"? Most of the time they bring in a couple of coordinators they know through the coaching circles, assistants they have heard good things about, etc...

I don't have serious statistics, but I would venture a guess that 90% of the coaches the head coach hires, he's never actually worked with before. He knows them, because they all seem to know each other, but he's familiar with their body of work through their reputation and successes more than any previous interpersonal work experience.

Jim Bob Cooter was well thought of in coaching circles. He was being discussed as a possible head coach before the season started.

There is zero reason to think Patricia (or whoever the new head coach really turns out to be) wouldn't want a guy that well thought of on his roster. And when you consider all the glamorous names are already being scooped up, and there's no way Patricia can manage to bring Josh McDaniels with him (no matter what that won't happen)... why get rid of a guy people are high on (people being non-Lions fans) just to make a change?

Especially if your QB likes working with him and has taken big steps forward while doing so?

Its got to be hell for a new coach to flesh out a staff as quickly as possible. Not many coaches get to take over a team with a wining record where not everyone needs to be fired. If you have that luxury, keep all the working parts you can.

Personally, I'm not sold on Cooter's play calling, but I think his coaching is exemplary. If Patricia is the guy... he's a rocket scientist... literally. The guy has an IQ off the charts for coaches. Let him call his own plays and let Stafford have the coach he likes. No biggie to me.

Last edited:
Look at the history of first time head coaches. Do any of them really have "their guys"? Most of the time they bring in a couple of coordinators they know through the coaching circles, assistants they have heard good things about, etc...

I don't have serious statistics, but I would venture a guess that 90% of the coaches the head coach hires, he's never actually worked with before. He knows them, because they all seem to know each other, but he's familiar with their body of work through their reputation and successes more than any previous interpersonal work experience.

Jim Bob Cooter was well thought of in coaching circles. He was being discussed as a possible head coach before the season started.

There is zero reason to think Patricia (or whoever the new head coach really turns out to be) wouldn't want a guy that well thought of on his roster. And when you consider all the glamorous names are already being scooped up, and there's no way Patricia can manage to bring Josh Daniels with him (no matter what that won't happen)... why get rid of a guy people are high on (people being non-Lions fans) just to make a change?

Especially if your QB likes working with him and has taken big steps forward while doing so?

Its got to be hell for a new coach to flesh out a staff as quickly as possible. Not many coaches get to take over a team with a wining record where not everyone needs to be fired. If you have that luxury, keep all the working parts you can.

Personally, I'm not sold on Cooter's play calling, but I think his coaching is exemplary. If Patricia is the guy... he's a rocket scientist... literally. The guy has an IQ off the charts for coaches. Let him call his own plays and let Stafford have the coach he likes. No biggie to me.

Most of what you say I can't argue with. However, I 100 percent disagree with "let Stafford have the coach he likes." He's not LeBron. I don't want players calling the shots for who they listen to as an OC.

Most of what you say I can't argue with. However, I 100 percent disagree with "let Stafford have the coach he likes." He's not LeBron. I don't want players calling the shots for who they listen to as an OC.

You assume it's calling the shots. Take a look around. Which OC are you going to bring in right now that would be head and shoulder above Cooter? None. You can't.

So why rock the boat with the QB? Stafford has gotten a lot better with Cooter there, so why take Cooter away for what at best would be a lateral move?

I'm a fan of telling my employees that if I give them the tools to succeed and they don't, it's on them. If I fail to give them the tools, then their failure is completely my fault.

Same here. If Cooter is the tool (and he's a tool in my book) helping Stafford to succeed, and Patricia takes it away, then Stafford's failure is on him, especially since there's no good reason to do it.

You assume it's calling the shots. Take a look around. Which OC are you going to bring in right now that would be head and shoulder above Cooter? None. You can't.

So why rock the boat with the QB? Stafford has gotten a lot better with Cooter there, so why take Cooter away for what at best would be a lateral move?

I'm a fan of telling my employees that if I give them the tools to succeed and they don't, it's on them. If I fail to give them the tools, then their failure is completely my fault.

Same here. If Cooter is the tool (and he's a tool in my book) helping Stafford to succeed, and Patricia takes it away, then Stafford's failure is on him, especially since there's no good reason to do it.

Well, then keep him on as a QB coach or in some assistant role. His play calling is shit, sorry. He force feeds runs when this team doesn't have an RB, and he shows little to no creativity, unless the team is playing for nothing (see, GB Week 17).

He's a professional athlete. I don't want him settling into comfort levels with these guys. He needs to constantly be on edge.

Well, then keep him on as a QB coach or in some assistant role. His play calling is shit, sorry. He force feeds runs when this team doesn't have an RB, and he shows little to no creativity, unless the team is playing for nothing (see, GB Week 17).

He's a professional athlete. I don't want him settling into comfort levels with these guys. He needs to constantly be on edge.
You're assuming Cooter had 100% control of the playbook as well. Truth is, we don't know if he did, or if Caldwell made him dial it back to the basics.

You're assuming Cooter had 100% control of the playbook as well. Truth is, we don't know if he did, or if Caldwell made him dial it back to the basics.

Caldwell wears two watches because he doesn't know where the game clock is. I assume that he delegates most of that stuff to his coordinators.

Caldwell wears two watches because he doesn't know where the game clock is. I assume that he delegates most of that stuff to his coordinators.

Tomlin must have the same watch. No reason not to use a to before the 2 min warning there.

Regardless, his run scheme is the worst in the NFL......if Patricia keeps him we either need a run game coordinator or Patricia need to demand a complete run blocking scheme overhaul.

Honestly, I think Patricia let's JBC walk or offers him QB coach.

Last edited:
Regardless, his run scheme is the worst in the NFL......if Patricia keeps him we either need a run game coordinator or Patricia need to demand a complete overhaul.

I wouldn't be bothered if he was kept as QB coach.. It would appease Matt S. and he wouldn't call plays.

Regardless, his run scheme is the worst in the NFL......if Patricia keeps him we either need a run game coordinator or Patricia need to demand a complete run blocking scheme overhaul.

QB coach- fine. I just think his play calling as a whole is horrific, and the entire scheme needs to be overhauled.

You want your QB on edge? Wtf lol

You want your QB on edge? Wtf lol

No. I just don't like hearing when your guys say "I'm comfortable with (X)".

I want guys always bettering themselves, challenging themselves, feeling like they have someone right behind their shoulders. Again, this is all speculation, but when you say "I'm comfortable," that means they aren't pushing themselves as hard as they can.

Back