Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2018 Head Coach Search Matt Patricia

Lions have informed other candidates they’ve been eliminated from the search, moving forward with the expectation Matt Patricia will be their head coach when the Patriots season ends. So that job is officially off the board.
per Albert Breer Senior NFL Reporter, @TheMMQB | @NBCSBoston | @985TheSportsHub | Alumnus of the Boston Globe, Dallas Morning News, NFL Network,

Last edited:
No. I just don't like hearing when your guys say "I'm comfortable with (X)".

I want guys always bettering themselves, challenging themselves, feeling like they have someone right behind their shoulders. Again, this is all speculation, but when you say "I'm comfortable," that means they aren't pushing themselves as hard as they can.

I'm sure players push themselves to the limit and beyond no matter the comfort level. Nothing wrong with having a player comfortable in his surroundings. They can still work harder than the next guy...

Id be happy with the Patricia hire. It'll be interesting to see who the oc is. Cooter is a safe choice. Cant think of anyone that would make a splash. Lane kiffen?.. if you want the drama.

Id be happy with the Patricia hire. It'll be interesting to see who the oc is. Cooter is a safe choice. Cant think of anyone that would make a splash. Lane kiffen?.. if you want the drama.

Recent fires like Seattle's OC maybe? Also some good QB coach options out there you can promote. We say he's safe but all year we hated the guy.. He got blasted more than anyone in the game threads than anyone.

Wouldn't be surprised if Patricia tries to bring over a player or two next year

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/new-england-patriots/

2018 Patriots FAs on Defense
CB Malcom Bulter
CB Johnson Bademosi
FS Nate Ebner
OLB James Harrison
DT Ricky Jean Francois
DE Geno Grissom
OLB Marquis Flowers

FS Brandon King (RFA)
DE Caleb Kidder (ERFA)

I'd be surprised if he doesn't at least make a run at Flowers and Ricky Jean Francois.

Recent fires like Seattle's OC maybe? Also some good QB coach options out there you can promote. We say he's safe but all year we hated the guy.. He got blasted more than anyone in the game threads than anyone.

In all fairness most of those posts are Bob and he loves to blame the oc for everything lol.

The run game needs to improve. Part of that was cooter and scheme. I don't know of a successful pistol run game.

Part of it was we all agree we need a better rb.

Part of it was we were down double digits early in most of our games.

Lastly our oline had some injuries and samsonite needs to be replaced.

In all fairness most of those posts are Bob and he loves to blame the oc for everything lol.

The run game needs to improve. Part of that was cooter and scheme. I don't know of a successful pistol run game.

It's not jus Bob. JBC did have some bone headed calls. Many bad ones. That made no sense. The one thing this past season Matt started to go deeper in the 2nd half.. After 18 months of basically not doing it. But I honestly think he's a better QB coach than a OC.

I'm torn on my desire to have JBC back or not. On one hand.....Stafford likes having him and cooter has definitely helped Matts decision making. I think we all agree upon that.

Where JBC struggled in the past two years is the running game and play calling. Do we need a new RB....probably. However, AA is NOT the biggest problem. Scheme, play design and play calling pattern is bad. I don't care who your back is, if he is constantly having to avoid people 2,3 and even 4 yards in the backfield you're not going to have a successful running game. We run way too much on obvious running downs. We run way too much in obvious running formations. We leave too many people unblocked and are vNOT ery good blocking at the point of attack. All of that leads to the worst running game in the NFL. That is the only thing that the Lions have been remarkably consistent in the last three years.

As far as playcalling goes. I think the playcalling in the second half of the year was much more aggressive. I liked that a lot. It really gives Golden Tate a lot more space to run his underneath routes. I think our screen game is terrible. I don't think we use Ebron the right way. We aren't creative at all in the red zone. I get so frustrated when I watch other games and see some very good, creative play calling inside the 10. We don't do anything like that. The only creative play call I saw this year was the throwback to Stafford in game 16 when it didn't mean a fucking thing.

To me, all of this equals Jim Bob Cooter as a very good quarterback coach, not yet a good offensive coordinator. If Patricia keeps him around and we do not sign some sort of running game Coordinator to help JBC out, we are going to see an offense an awful lot like 2017's.

Last edited:
It's not jus Bob. JBC did have some bone headed calls. Many bad ones. That made no sense. The one thing this past season Matt started to go deeper in the 2nd half.. After 18 months of basically not doing it. But I honestly think he's a better QB coach than a OC.

How do you know tho?!?!?! You don't watch the fucking games!!!!! Lol. Am I the only one here confused on your input to this fucking team?!?! Actually, i'm not because you have been called out by a few of us.
Answer the question please. How the fuck do you have an opinion on the Lions when you don't watch them? It blows my frickin mind lol.

The Titans new opening may be an opportunity for Cooter. Haven’t seen anything concrete, just fan discussion, but some are wondering if he might be the guy to help Mariota. Tennessee native too.

Last edited:
The Titans new opening may be an opportunity for Cooter. Haven?t seen anything concrete, just fan discussion, but some are wondering if he might be the guy to help Mariota. Tennessee native too.

Word is, Patricia wants Cooter on board. They fired the OLine coach Prince. Patricia didn't like the scheme he was running I guess

Word is, Patricia wants Cooter on board. They fired the OLine coach Prince. Patricia didn't like the scheme he was running I guess

The scheme of don't block anyone and let your rb getting hit behind the line of scrimmage 60%of the time definitely didn't work. Time to tweak that strategy just a bit....

I'm torn on my desire to have JBC back or not. On one hand.....Stafford likes having him and cooter has definitely helped Matts decision making. I think we all agree upon that.

Where JBC struggled in the past two years is the running game and play calling. Do we need a new RB....probably. However, AA is NOT the biggest problem. Scheme, play design and play calling pattern is bad. I don't care who your back is, if he is constantly having to avoid people 2,3 and even 4 yards in the backfield you're not going to have a successful running game. We run way too much on obvious running downs. We run way too much in obvious running formations. We leave too many people unblocked and are vNOT ery good blocking at the point of attack. All of that leads to the worst running game in the NFL. That is the only thing that the Lions have been remarkably consistent in the last three years.

As far as playcalling goes. I think the playcalling in the second half of the year was much more aggressive. I liked that a lot. It really gives Golden Tate a lot more space to run his underneath routes. I think our screen game is terrible. I don't think we use Ebron the right way. We aren't creative at all in the red zone. I get so frustrated when I watch other games and see some very good, creative play calling inside the 10. We don't do anything like that. The only creative play call I saw this year was the throwback to Stafford in game 16 when it didn't mean a fucking thing.

To me, all of this equals Jim Bob Cooter as a very good quarterback coach, not yet a good offensive coordinator. If Patricia keeps him around and we do not sign some sort of running game Coordinator to help JBC out, we are going to see an offense an awful lot like 2017's.

I agree with your run game thoughts. I think JBC would admit to it. He did not do a good job designing run plays. I'm sure part of it is a talent issue, we got backs that do best in space and we couldn't create space.
Tion Green did slightly better, with his more downhill running style and could sometime break the first tackle.

I know Green had limited carries, but he had better YPC than anyone on Minnesota, Essentially the same (.04 better) as Leonard Fournette and Melvin Gordon, and only slightly worse .1 YPC than Leveon Bell. Again this is based on 42 carries, but I think his style could work here.

I think his pass game designs are pretty solid. Many routes have multiple short options, a mid range option, and a deep option. I think Stafford was coached by Caldwell to look towards the short option, due to his history of struggling with mid to deep range passes in his first 8 years. This year he seemed to have much more touch/accuracy, which is why I think they started opening it up later in the season

I don't know what to make of our 1st down struggles. We were in 2nd and 10+ 3rd most in the league. 55% of the time we were in 2nd and 10+ was because of a run play on 1st down, 45% was because of a pass play on 1st down. So we struggled no matter what we did on 1st down. Surprisingly the #1 seed Eagles were in 2nd and 10+ on 50% of their 2nd down plays (worst in the league). Lions were at 45.8%

Last edited:
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...att-patricias-beard-detroit-lions/1035420001/
The story behind Matt Patricia's beard: 'The people of America are used to it'.
Freep

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...matt-patricia-without-beard-photo/1034933001/
What does Matt Patricia look like without a beard? We found a photo.
Freep

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2018/01/16/the-many-facial-hair-looks-of-matt-patricia-photos/
The Many Facial Hair Looks Of Matt Patricia [PHOTOS].
CBSDetroit

https://detroitjockcity.com/2018/01/16/will-matt-patricia-look-like-detroit-lions-head-coach/
What will Matt Patricia look like as Detroit Lions head coach?
DJC

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTtO9OkU0AAVSA2.jpg
The beard progression of Matt Patricia.

Last edited:
Back