Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bowl Games

You gotta be kidding, right?

Whenever the B1G is less than stellar during the bowl season, that's pretty much all they talk about.

When the SEC is doing well during the bowl season, they carry on like they're at a wedding.

Okay? Who gives a crap what "they" talk about? Do we feel better that Northwestern (who was one of the better teams in the B10) beat a garbage Kentucky? Or Purdue needed late magic to win a battle of two bad football teams?

The only thing that matters is winning your conference and doing something on the national stage (playoff). Having your conference win a bunch of meaningless bowl games doesn't speak to the quality of the league. No one will ever bring this stuff up in a few years and say, "Oh yeah, B10 dominated that 2015 bowl season."

Last edited:
Okay? Who gives a crap what "they" talk about? Do we feel better that Northwestern (who was one of the better teams in the B10) beat a garbage Kentucky? Or Purdue needed late magic to win a battle of two bad football teams?

The only thing that matters is winning your conference and doing something on the national stage (playoff).

Can make a difference in recruiting perhaps. For a lot of kids what they hear these guys talk about on ESPN is reality.

It's nice the Big Ten is doing well. I don't put a lot of stock into it personally, but it's like the Big Ten/ACC challenge in basketball. It's fun to root for your conference.

I don't think any stock can be put into bowl records by conference. It's just a mis mash of random teams, etc.

I put very little into them as well. If a conference has favorable matchups and loses the bulk of them or gets punked like the Pac12, then yes I will say they were a garbage conference.

The only thing that matters is winning your conference and doing something on the national stage (playoff). Having your conference win a bunch of meaningless bowl games doesn't speak to the quality of the league. No one will ever bring this stuff up in a few years and say, "Oh yeah, B10 dominated that 2015 bowl season."

The kids that are being recruited right now, this very minute, do.

The kids that are being recruited right now, this very minute, do.

The kids care about the Big Ten bowl record?? Come on man.

This is just some arbitrary thing that gets said a lot without any actual merit. If you can get me some quotes, evidence, whatever, I'm all for it.

Last edited:
Can make a difference in recruiting perhaps. For a lot of kids what they hear these guys talk about on ESPN is reality.

It's nice the Big Ten is doing well. I don't put a lot of stock into it personally, but it's like the Big Ten/ACC challenge in basketball. It's fun to root for your conference.

Eh, it's fun for some, not for others. I don't get some great joy in seeing Iowa beat BC, or OSU beat USC. It just doesn't register.

I tend to agree. A lot of it depends on matchups and some years a conference wins a bunch of close games and other years they lose a bunch of close games. I think the Big Ten not getting anyone into the playoff has created a trickle down of favorable (or at least winnable) matchups in the other bowls.

However, I agree with tinsel in that if the Big Ten was 0-5 right now even if the factors mentioned above are at play, ESPN and others would be all over it.

The only possible trickle down game we had was OSU-USC. Neither went to the playoff, but both teams were conference champions. Insert OSU into playoff and you still have either Wisconsin or PSU putting the beat down on USC. The conference is mega deep this year, straight up. I really want to watch Wisky-Miami. That should be a good one.

The kids care about the Big Ten bowl record?? Come on man.

This is just some arbitrary thing that gets said a lot without any actual merit. If you can get me some quotes, evidence, whatever, I'm all for it.

The record correlates to the competition of the conference and readiness for the NFL. Yes, they do care and they care if that team loses that last game of the season and to whom. Especially, if both teams are recruiting the same player or players. We are not talking about adults thinking rationally. We are talking about 17-18yr old kids that are all about the here and now.

Terrible management of time and horrible play calling. Miss St wins. Didnt know Ron English was Miss St DC. Good for him.

The record correlates to the competition of the conference and readiness for the NFL. Yes, they do care and they care if that team loses that last game of the season and to whom. Especially, if both teams are recruiting the same player or players. We are not talking about adults thinking rationally. We are talking about 17-18yr old kids that are all about the here and now.

Eh, don't sell them short with this stuff man. A large amount of these students do a ton of research and take a ton of trips before settling on their school. I don't think the bowl record plays any rhyme or reason with their decision.

Apparently The announcers dont know that Penn St. lost to OSU and MSU. They said that PSU was the best team in the Big10. Setting up the narrative incase they lose. ESPN is unbelievable.

Eh, don't sell them short with this stuff man. A large amount of these students do a ton of research and take a ton of trips before settling on their school. I don't think the bowl record plays any rhyme or reason with their decision.

I guess it doesn't mean a god damn thing if a college team wins any games at all. Recruiting comes easy apparently. Stop, just because you don't care about bowl games doesn't mean everyone else does.

I guess it doesn't mean a god damn thing if a college team wins any games at all. Recruiting comes easy apparently. Stop, just because you don't care about bowl games doesn't mean everyone else does.

You took that WAY beyond this argument and made a total straw man. Yeah, the prestige and historic success of a team plays a factor. If it didn't, Michigan would never get recruits. Their name has been a massive factor in getting students.

I'm talking about the bowl record of conferences, which fluctuates every year depending on whatever random matchups are set up. I think that in specific literally has no bearing on decisions.

I tend to agree. A lot of it depends on matchups and some years a conference wins a bunch of close games and other years they lose a bunch of close games. I think the Big Ten not getting anyone into the playoff has created a trickle down of favorable (or at least winnable) matchups in the other bowls.

However, I agree with tinsel in that if the Big Ten was 0-5 right now even if the factors mentioned above are at play, ESPN and others would be all over it.

When the B1G is doing well, ESPN will call it random favorable matchups and the whole mish mosh.

When the B!G is doing poorly, ESPN will say it just shows they are inferior to the SEC.

Do recruits care?

I doubt it.

Will anybody be talking about it in three years?

Not many

Is it important at all?

You bet your ass it is.

Why?

secnetworklogo.png
ext

Back