Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

Detroit Tigers' Alex Avila scratched with right hamstring tightness, listed day-to-day.
The Detroit Tigers' shorthanded bench just got a little shorter.
Alex Avila was scratched prior to Saturday's game with right hamstring tightness -- an injury that leaves the Tigers with only one available player off the bench, Ramon Santiago.

As a result, Omir Santos will be making his second straight start behind the plate and Don Kelly, who is slated to start in left field, will be the emergency catcher.
Gerald Laird, who left Friday's game with tightness in his right hamstring, is unavailable, too.

"I started to some running and stuff and I just couldn't," Avila said. "I was afraid that I was really going to hurt myself."
A slew of recent injuries have left the battle-tested Tigers with little wiggle room, as outfielder Andy Dirks remains day-to-day with an Achilles injury and Austin Jackson remains on the disabled list with a left abdominal strain.
"It is bad luck, basically," Avila said. "It's frustrating because I can't place a time on when it happened and I know how bad I need to be in the lineup right now."

Never one to bow out due to injury, Avila wasn't able to pinpoint the reason behind his tightness. He made a pinch-hit appearance Friday, but said it didn't cause discomfort.
"I'm no stranger to playing with injuries or pain, so it definitely takes a lot to keep me out of the lineup," he said.
When he woke up Saturday morning, he said "it didn't feel right."

Avila listed himself as day-to-day, but said he wasn't able to put a timeline as to when he may return because he's never dealt with a hamstring issue. He received treatment early Saturday morning, but needed to be shut down after he tried to run.
"I really won't be any good right now -- at least today," he said. "I can't really move too well."

The hamstring tightness adds to a string of nagging injuries that Avila has dealt with this past month, including a bloodied face and the sore patella tendon in his left knee.
Asked whether he feels beaten up, Avila said he felt fine.
"I don't," he said. "I feel great at the plate and I feel great behind the plate -- that's why it's so frustrating."
from Mlive

Tigers lefty Daniel Schlereth, who has been on the disabled list since April 21 with left shoulder tendinitis, was moved to the 60-day DL on Saturday to clear space on the 40-man roster. After suffering a setback during his rehab a couple of weeks ago, Schlereth likely wouldn't have been able to return until around June 20, the date he is now eligible to be activated.

Relief pitcher Al Alburquerque, who has been throwing from 150 feet, is set to make the next step in his recovery from right elbow surgery. Rand said that Alburquerque will begin throwing off a mound within a week.

Prince Fielder and Verlander were named the Tigers' Player and Pitcher of the Month, respectively, on Saturday. Fielder hit .330 with nine doubles, five home runs and 22 RBIs in May. Verlander went 3-2 with a 2.66 ERA.

KC have you noticed the calls from most national reporters as the Tigers being the landing spot for Matt Garza? I thought DD said a little while back that they weren't looking for starting pitching.

Back