Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ferguson, MO

Come on Gulo, I'm seriously confused by your internalization of these events and lack of requiring scientific data, not just snippets, not to mention the blinders blocking other viewpoints, info, and most importantly hard data instead of hypothetical and trumped up data. You've for some reason made this more personal than scientific. If there is a personal reason, you don't have to share it, but I would like to say I'm sorry if I've said something you took as a personal a front. I have great respect for you and your knowledge, I'm just confused by your unwavering position.

I'm curious as to what viewpoints or data you think I'm ignoring and why you think I'm making this personal. Maybe I have to get in line behind Thumb's question about his racist agenda though.

I thought cops weren't supposed to fire warning shots.

I thought they were only supposed to draw their weapon if they were feeling justifiably in fear for their lives, and shoot to kill if they were going to shoot at all.

I thought cops weren't supposed to fire warning shots.

I thought they were only supposed to draw their weapon if they were feeling justifiably in fear for their lives, and shoot to kill if they were going to shoot at all.

I don't know about the last part. Yes, police are trained to aim for center mass, because it lessens the chance of a miss (innocent bystanders/property damage etc.) but my neighbor who is a county sheriffs deputy told me a while back that one of the main reasons almost all law enforcement switched to 9mm from .38 special and .357 magnum rounds was that 9mm was less likely to be a fatal shot, because it's a weaker load, with less chance at hydro-static shock. They also have to carry FMJ rounds, which are fully jacketed in copper to prevent expansion and fragmentation, increasing survivability.

So I don't know that "shoot to kill" is accurate, but they definitely are not supposed to aim for the hands (trying to shoot a gun out of someones hands is hollywood stuff) or aim for the head, which is the hardest part of the body to hit because it's usually so animated. So what you're left with is a torso shot, which can also likely be fatal, but I don't think specifically intended.

Anyways, that was my understanding on it from conversations with my neighbor, back to my racist agenda now.

Unreasonably high? How so, Mr. Monday Morning Quarterback. Were you in that exact situation before that you have the ability to make that call? Just been in a fight with someone much larger, a gun being fought over, afterward you pointed a gun at the bigger guy and despite ordering him to stop he continues moving toward you. Despite firing multiple shots he is still coming toward you. Please tell me how you would not feel emotions that were highly charged. Please tell me how you remain calm and not allow your emotions to fire the final kill shot?

Brown is dead due to his choices. He could have chosen to lie down and be arrested. Instead he chose to move toward the cop he previously punched and fought with to get the gun from.

Brown made bad choices, but you continue to blame Wilson. Zero comprehension of reality is what that is.

Experienced cops don't fire in that situation because they are in better control of their emotions. There is a reason you see younger officers put in this situation. There is a reason it was the rookie as opposed to the vet who killed that kid in Cleveland. It is an officer's job to be in control of his emotions, it is societies' expectation that he remain in control of his emotions while making decisions. It is a tough expectation that comes with the job and the privilege of being able to use deadly force against the very citizens that employ them.

Experienced cops don't fire in that situation because they are in better control of their emotions. There is a reason you see younger officers put in this situation. There is a reason it was the rookie as opposed to the vet who killed that kid in Cleveland. It is an officer's job to be in control of his emotions, it is societies' expectation that he remain in control of his emotions while making decisions. It is a tough expectation that comes with the job and the privilege of being able to use deadly force against the very citizens that employ them.

Yeah because veterans wait it out :hehe:

the cop who put Eric Garner in a chokehold in NYC, killing him, was also let off by a grand jury... blog post link.

it's pretty shocking - to me at least - how easy is it is for some roided-up, or simply sociopathic and angry racist cop to simply kill a black person for little to no reason.

I wonder where most people fall on the spectrum... there's the extreme of racist Americans who are okay with it just because. Then those who are not, but probably figure it's a necessary evil that some cops get away with it, because, I guess our society would devolve into a lawless mess if cops weren't able to push people around (and often kill them) for little to no reason. These people might change their tune if they saw how much municipalities had to pay to defend & settle of lawsuits over police abuse. Then there are those who want to simply ignore the problem, or willfully remain ignorant of it, or in denial because it affects their ideals negatively. Then there are those who view it as a problem that needs to be addressed and changed if we're ever going to live up to the ideals of our Constitution. Some also view it as a problem because they themselves have been beaten by the cops, or knew someone killed by them...

Last edited by a moderator:
the cop who put Eric Garner in a chokehold in NYC, killing him, was also let off by a grand jury... blog post link.

it's pretty shocking - to me at least - how easy is it is for some roided-up, or simply sociopathic and angry racist cop to simply kill a black person for little to no reason.

I wonder where most people fall on the spectrum... there's the extreme of racist Americans who are okay with it just because. Then those who are not, but probably figure it's a necessary evil that some cops get away with it, because, I guess our society would devolve into a lawless mess if cops weren't able to push people around (and often kill them) for little to no reason. These people might change their tune if they saw how much municipalities had to pay to defend & settle of lawsuits over police abuse. Then there are those who want to simply ignore the problem, or willfully remain ignorant of it, or in denial because it affects their ideals negatively. Then there are those who view it as a problem that needs to be addressed and changed if we're ever going to live up to the ideals of our Constitution. Some also view it as a problem because they themselves have been beaten by the cops, or knew someone killed by them...

Go up to my last post. Black cop kills white guy..is that not racist and why does that not get the same attention?

Cop should have been charged. Guy didn't fight the cops and gave no reason to use such force. Not sure where you get him being racist, though. Stupid cop(s) doing illegal things for stupid reasons. The whole country needs to retrain its officers.

Didn't we just see this show?

John Kerry today made some kind of tacit acknowledgement that the US and Iran are not at diametrical odds in strategic military actions against ISIS; Iran seems to be putting boots on the ground in Iraq; in return, the United States is not being absolutely intolerant that Iran is using what had heretofore been exclusively been airspace of the United States above Iraq for some time.

Now that shit is something new...not this tired old "white cop kills black dude and gets off shit..." BOOOOARING...!

Last edited:
Cop should have been charged. Guy didn't fight the cops and gave no reason to use such force. Not sure where you get him being racist, though. Stupid cop(s) doing illegal things for stupid reasons. The whole country needs to retrain its officers.

I agree; dumb racists like Mitch keep confusing the issue though... no one was complaining because Trayvon Martin or Michael Brown were killed, just that the proper procedures were not followed, in the former, until the national uproad finally forced FL officials to charge Zimmerman with murder, and in the latter... well, for reasons as discussed in this thread.

Though I'm not sure the story Mitch linked to really happened, or at least happened the way as described... Mitch, do you have a link about the story that's not from a "TexasGOP" blog, or a white supremacist site like StormFront? Caused when I google the incident, those are the only sites covering it. Seems like it should have gotten legitimate press...

Didn't we just see this show?

John Kerry today made some kind of tacit acknowledgement that the US and Iran are not at diametrical odds in strategic military actions against ISIS; Iran seems to be putting boots on the ground in Iraq; in return, the United States is not being absolutely intolerant that Iran is using what had heretofore been exclusively been airspace of the United States above Iraq for some time.

Now that shit is something new...not this tired old "white cop kills black dude and gets off shit..." BOOOOARING...!

I think we discussed Iraq and ISIS pretty extensively already in a few other threads. the claim that Iran is now on our side in Iraq bombing ISIS - if accurate - doesn't really change any arguments made here on the board, just further proves zyxt, Jdildo and spartanhack are completely full of shit, Iraq is a mess, we should not have invaded it in 2003, and should not do so again, and Iran isn't really a member of GWB's "axis of evil" which was dumb and made up at the time, and he was a fucking terrible president.

I agree; dumb racists like Mitch keep confusing the issue though... no one was complaining because Trayvon Martin or Michael Brown were killed, just that the proper procedures were not followed, in the former, until the national uproad finally forced FL officials to charge Zimmerman with murder, and in the latter... well, for reasons as discussed in this thread.

Though I'm not sure the story Mitch linked to really happened, or at least happened the way as described... Mitch, do you have a link about the story that's not from a "TexasGOP" blog, or a white supremacist site like StormFront? Caused when I google the incident, those are the only sites covering it. Seems like it should have gotten legitimate press...

Racist? What the fuck you talking about? I brought up that cop because if the reverse happened people would automatically think racist instead of realizing race had nothing to do with either one..

As far as whatever site it was from, the point is no one else did cover it or are you too stupid to grasp that thought? You're text book racist..

Feel better?

Racist? What the fuck you talking about? I brought up that cop because if the reverse happened people would automatically think racist instead of realizing race had nothing to do with either one..

As far as whatever site it was from, the point is no one else did cover it or are you too stupid to grasp that thought? You're text book racist..

Feel better?

the point is if no legitimate media source covered it, only a TexasGOP blog and a bunch of white supremacist sites, it probably didn't happen. And if it probably didn't happen... well... do I really need to explain to you that...

fuck it.

the point is if no legitimate media source covered it, only a TexasGOP blog and a bunch of white supremacist sites, it probably didn't happen. And if it probably didn't happen... well... do I really need to explain to you that...

fuck it.

You actually believe because the liberal media and left doesn't report something it didn't happen..Gullible is the word of the day..

Back