Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 14: Bears @ Lions *Saturday* Thread

Coaching. We played smart yesterday. Stacked the box and made Trubisky beat us. He couldn't. And in Typical Caldwell fashion..... as soon as we went ahead 20 to 3 with about 10 minutes left in the third quarter we went into full "play not to lose" mode. Soft shell defenses. Easy short completions. Ran the ball unsuccessfully. Punt. Punt. Punt.

It's stupid how conservative Caldwell is. It's one of the main reasons I don't think will ever win anything with him here. We easily could have won that game yesterday 30 to 3 or, maybe, 30-10......but we don't.

It works against Chicago. It won't work against good teams. That's why we never beat good teams.

Yep, completely gutless 2nd half. I will never like or respect how Caldwell coaches.

Saturdays man. I'm willing to bet there are some people that didn't even know they played today.

I would guess that most people in sub-Saharan Africa didn't know the Lions played today (or yesterday, as it stands now).

Not that there are that many of them.

Minnesota up 24-0 on the Bengals, watch how they never let the Bengals back in

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/12/lions_grades_linebackers_have.html#incart_river_index
Lions grades: Linebackers, coaches take leaps in wire-to-wire win over Bears.
Mlive

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/12/lions_cb_darius_slay_is_talkin.html#incart_river_index
Lions CB Darius Slay is talking a big game, and backing it up.
Mlive

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/12/snap_counts_kenny_golladay_out.html#incart_river_index
Snap counts: Kenny Golladay outplays Golden Tate again.
Mlive

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017...laying-time-increase-tion-green-chicago-bears
Detroit Lions vs. Chicago Bears snap counts: Rookies continuing to see increased role in game plan.
It?s a rookie takeover on offense.
POD

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/12/3_things_we_learned_quandre_di.html#incart_river_index
3 things we learned: Quandre Diggs' move to safety should be permanent.
Mlive

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/ti...rvations/fd8964fb-8074-4d99-9346-6aa0922032b4
Week 15 observations.
Lions.com

http://www.detroitlionspodcast.com/category/podcasts/
Detroit Lions Breakdown Podcast Episode 135 ? Lions & Bears Postgame Show. 69 minutes.

Losing the division to Case Kennum is just a flat out embarrassment.

You're flat out embarrassed to lose a division to a team that could finish as high as 13-3? And one of those losses was to us.

Last edited:
Why is Minnesota better then Detroit when Detroit has a better franchise qb to build around, and oh BTW we were better then the Vikings last year ? Explain please?
So yeah It's embarrassing in 9 seasons with Stafford the Lions can't win a division with all the gifts with injuries the other teams have had. So yeah the Lions probably will finish 10-6 and 5-1 in the division and fuck it up yet again like they always do. It is maddening this franchise can never get over the hump. But hey maybe the Falcons and Seahawks will lose out. It sure would be nice to win a freaking playoff game one day :/

Last edited:
Why is Minnesota better then Detroit when Detroit has a better franchise qb to build around, and oh BTW we were better then the Vikings last year ? Explain please?
So yeah It's embarrassing in 9 seasons with Stafford the Lions can't win a division with all the gifts with injuries the other teams have had. So yeah the Lions probably will finish 10-6 and 5-1 in the division and fuck it up yet again like they always do. It is maddening this franchise can never get over the hump. But hey maybe the Falcons and Seahawks will lose out. It sure would be nice to win a freaking playoff game one day :/

I understand what you're saying but again the Vikings can finish 13-3! How would we ever win a division against that? Going 13-3 is extremely difficult for any franchise. And that's even after we beat them once. I don't see that as the Lions "fucking it up". More like tip your cap to the other team.

I understand what you're saying but again the Vikings can finish 13-3! How would we ever win a division against that? Going 13-3 is extremely difficult for any franchise. And that's even after we beat them once. I don't see that as the Lions "fucking it up". More like tip your cap to the other team.

It's not the record. It's the fact they were 8-8 last season and are using their 3rd stringer. Yet Detroit is the same dysfunctional team. When do we get 13 wins or defense like theirs? Why do teams all over the NFL get better and Detroit doesn't. Look at the Rams they won 4 games last season and played like an expansion team.

Detroit's motto "just get to the playoffs." Sad.

The Vikings have had a ton of injuries also and the Lions have the better qb. Total failure by Caldwell and his crappy staff not to take advantage of all of Green Bay's and the Vikings injuries . Oh well just another year we waste one of the best qb's in football .tip your cap all you want but the Lions were the better team going into this year and yet we ended up the SOL and now need a ton of help to even make the playoffs sadly. Franchise feels cursed to me.

It's not the record. It's the fact they were 8-8 last season and are using their 3rd stringer. Yet Detroit is the same dysfunctional team. When do we get 13 wins or defense like theirs? Why do teams all over the NFL get better and Detroit doesn't. Look at the Rams they won 4 games last season and played like an expansion team.

It is frustrating as hell.. Lions had a better record in 2016 then the Saints,Panthers, Vikings, Eagles, Jags,and Rams. I want the playoffs but I also want a new coaching staff so it is a catch 22 for me.

Last edited:

So are you embarrassed to lose the division to the potentially 13-3 Vikings? That's the quote I was originally responding to. I'd be more embarrassed to lose to like a 9-7 or 8-8 division champ that wasn't worthy of the title.

Being embarrassed by the Lions organization as a whole is a different story. Or being upset that we can't put together a great year like that. Those things I can understand.

Last edited:
So are you embarrassed to lose the division to the potentially 13-3 Vikings? That's the quote I was originally responding to.

Being embarrassed by the Lions organization as a whole is a different story. Or being upset that we can't put together a great year like that. Those things I can understand.

I think Bob's point had merit. Lions get all the breaks and yet here we are. Defense or not it's Case Keenum.

I think Bob's point had merit. Lions get all the breaks and yet here we are. Defense or not it's Case Keenum.

Having your division foe go 11-3 after 14 games is not getting a break (10-2 against teams not named the Lions). They are legit good. A QB is not the only player on a team. And the fact they Case Keenum is their QB and they're STILL doing this well should tell you something about the rest of their team.

Again tip your cap to Minnesota. They have earned their wins. Even if the Lions had somehow gone 12-4 they might still have lost the division.

We're arguing over something silly anyway. It's fine to say the Lions franchise as a whole has been a letdown. Everyone not named LKP can agree to that.

Last edited:
Having your division foe go 11-3 after 14 games is not getting a break (10-2 against teams not named the Lions). They are legit good. A QB is not the only player on a team. And the fact they Case Keenum is their QB and they're STILL doing this well should tell you something about the rest of their team.

Again tip your cap to Minnesota. They have earned their wins. Even if the Lions had somehow gone 12-4 they might still have lost the division.

We're arguing over something silly anyway. It's fine to say the Lions franchise as a whole has been a letdown. Everyone not named LKP can agree to that.

But Case Keenum has been good. It's not just their defense. It's not like Trent Difer. Keenum has actually helped Minny play better.

I don't get the logic here. You just admitted we lost the division to a team with a QB that has been playing well with a good team around him. Sooo that's embarrassing on the Lions part how? Isn't that how things are supposed to work? The best teams win? Preseason expectations are what they are. Expectations. The reality of the situation is pretty clear after 14 weeks that the notion that the Lions were "better" than the Vikings is plainly false.

If someone like Drew Brees were the Vikings QB and had all the same stats, performances, and won/loss record as Keenum on the season, would there no longer be any reason to be embarrassed? Is it simply the name and not the play that counts?

Big picture stuff I get. I'm embarrassed the Lions have been mediocre to bad for basically all of our lives. I'm embarrassed we can't ever run the ball. I'm embarrassed we haven't won a playoff game since the early 90s. I'm embarrassed we are the only franchise to have gone 0-16 (might have company soon). I'm not embarrassed to have lost the NFC North to the 2017 Vikings.

Last edited:
I don't get the logic here. You just admitted we lost the division to a team with a QB that has been playing well with a good team around him. Sooo that's embarrassing on the Lions part how? Isn't that how things are supposed to work? The best teams win?

If someone like Drew Brees were the Vikings QB and had all the same stats, performances, and won/loss record as Keenum on the season, would there no longer be any reason to be embarrassed? Is it simply the name and not the play that counts?

Big picture stuff I get. I'm embarrassed the Lions have been mediocre to bad for basically all of our lives. I'm embarrassed we can't ever run the ball. I'm embarrassed we haven't won a playoff game since the early 90s. I'm embarrassed we are the only franchise to have gone 0-16 (might have company soon). I'm not embarrassed to have lost the NFC North to the 2017 Vikings.

Because Case Keenum was lucky to ever be on an NFL roster based on his career. I didn't say embarrassed but I get Bob's point. Every time this division has Stafford and 3 rejects at QB (happening a lot lately it seems) we can't take advantage. If anything it's embarrassing how other teams can get by/manage and Detroit stays status quo. Is any part of their game better than last years or the year before or the year before that and so on?

Last edited:
Back