Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 3: Falcons @ Lions Thread

There's pics all over the internet. For some reason I can't copy and paste shit lol.

Here is a pretty good view of it. Seems to be short.

http://dailysnark.com/falcons-fans-going-crazy-complaining-james-whites-knee-ball-crossed-goal-line/

I will reiterate my previous post. No. Chance. In. Hell. The NFL makes that call against NE!

I still don't see indisputable evidence that Tate's knee touched down. I'm not saying it didn't.....but I don't see the proof.

Another point I'll make.....I'm actually a skeptic when it comes to conspiracy theories.....but when a call is that close and is literally a game deciding call.....they took very little time to make their decision. Shit.....I've seen them take 2x or 3x longer to review a "feet inbounds" call in the 1st quarter of a 0-0 game. I won't for 1 second believe someone in NY didn't have something to do with this. I'm not saying Goodell himself.....but someone with some power making sure the team that's in the NFL best interest to win, Atlanta, gets the call.

Last edited:
Here is a pretty good view of it. Seems to be short.

http://dailysnark.com/falcons-fans-going-crazy-complaining-james-whites-knee-ball-crossed-goal-line/

I will reiterate my previous post. No. Chance. In. Hell. The NFL makes that call against NE!

I still don't see indisputable evidence that Tate's knee touched down. I'm not saying it didn't.....but I don't see the proof.

Another point I'll make.....I'm actually a skeptic when it comes to conspiracy theories.....but when a call is that close and is literally a game deciding call.....they took very little time to make their decision. Shit.....I've seen them take 2x or 3x longer to review a "feet inbounds" call in the 1st quarter of a 0-0 game. I won't for 1 second believe someone in NY didn't have something to do with this. I'm not saying Goodell himself.....but someone with some power making sure the team that's in the NFL best interest to win, Atlanta, gets the call.

looking at the still photos on line and it is pretty evident that he was down almost a foot short

looking at the still photos on line and it is pretty evident that he was down almost a foot short

Down. They should have called him down

Down with 11 seconds. So Lions should have had another shot with 1 second even after a run off

And DPI by the Falcons. So the clock should have stopped anyway

They are gong on the two hands on tate as when he was down .. if you go by that there is 11 seconds left on the clock. Because that is what the replay booth used. Even through that is Ridiculous because tate hadn't even complete the whole process of the catch yet anyway. And oh BTW the lions got a play off in 7 seconds last year vs Minnesota. After a much longer play.

Give examples of these obvious calls that should be overturned, but aren't for teams like the Packers, Patriots, etc. If it's so well known this happens, should be no problem to list a few.

Tony tried, but posting the play and watching it, opposed to going off of memory, proved it was the right call. So backup your statement, or just stop complaining about things that aren't there.

Lol
Your joking right ?
Guess you missed that lions playoff game at Dallas ?
Or how about Dallas at Green bay when Dallas was screwed on a Dez's catch .
NE England's tom Brady fumble verses the radiers lol... if stafford did that it's a fumble everytime.Phantom pass interference calls or penalties on the lions verses the packers time and again to keep beloved aaron rodgers drives going.

I stand by my opinion. If this game was at green bay, Dallas or new england or the Giantsm and they are playing detroit or other lesser teams they do not overturn Tates td from yesterday. Not a chance.

Looking at fan opinions from around the league, there’s a general consensus that the refs applied the rule book correctly at the end of the game, but the run-off rule is a pretty shitty way to end a game and the rule should be re-evaluated after the season.

Personally, I don’t think there’s an easy solution that satisfies both teams. It’s a rather unique set a circumstances that led up to this ending and it’s hard to justify flexible interpretations of the rule book without risking potential abuse. I hate the way the game ended, but it ended the way it should have unfortunately.

Let’s just hope the brain trust in New York can find a sensible solution this off-season. The clock run-off on automatic reviews just doesn’t sit well with me, the fact that an overturned wrong call can take 10 seconds away from a team.

That said, if there were game clock issues where the Lions should’ve had more time, that’s a whole other issue and should be reviewed accordingly.

Lol
Your joking right ?
Guess you missed that lions playoff game at Dallas ?
Or how about Dallas at Green bay when Dallas was screwed on a Dez's catch .
NE England's tom Brady fumble verses the radiers lol... if stafford did that it's a fumble everytime.Phantom pass interference calls or penalties on the lions verses the packers time and again to keep beloved aaron rodgers drives going.

I stand by my opinion. If this game was at green bay, Dallas or new england or the Giantsm and they are playing detroit or other lesser teams they do not overturn Tates td from yesterday. Not a chance.

So the Patriots were a protected team going all the way back to 2001 before they won a title?

Even though this was the rule at the time, that originally started in 1999:
NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2. When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body

Also, that is the same call that went against the Patriots during a regular season game against the Jets of that year.

So Dallas (the leagues most valuable team) gets less protection the Green Bay packers? Why on earth would the NFL want the Packers to move on over the Cowboys?

Your conspiracy theory makes no sense, but I guess that's why it is a conspiracy theory.

Last edited:
It's not a conspiracy. It's incompetence and really bad luck it seems to bite the Lions on final plays without it going the Lions way.

It wasn't just the error and run off. He was down, they should have called it down. But they made a mistake. 11 seconds left not 8. Another mistake. Falcons committed DPI on Tate. Another huge mistake.

It sucks it costs the Lions games. Could they have made one or two more plays elsewhere. yes. But nobody will play the perfect game and the Falcons are a good team. The Lions played well enough to get one more shot at winning. It drives me nuts when they lose games based on other factors besides just bad execution.

And I could just sense that they will change the rule. Either no run off in that certain circumstance (TD review) and or only 5 seconds not 10. There will be like 7 seconds left and the other team will get a second chance next year. And they will score on that chance against Detroit.

IMO they should run a study of different scenarios and come up with a set of reasonable clock run-offs. It doesn’t need to be overly complicated, but enough to seem fair. For example, the clock run-off on a 50 yard play, where guys have to run halfway across the field to set up at the LOS, is going to be a bit different than a goal line scenario where players are already there and a reset can be done quickly. There shouldn’t be a one-size-fits-all 10 second rule.

Now that I've had the requisite 24 hours to stew in my disdain and detest for the ill conceived shit pile manifesto that is the NFL rule book, I have decided it was a bad play call on the offense's part. If you're trying to score with a dwindling clock and you throw short of the goal line, you'd better be damn sure you can get in. Rule of thumb at the one yard line you have to try to punch it in on the ground on 1st or 2nd down. They didn't. And they should have had a timeout left in their pocket on the other side of the 2-minute warning. They didn't. Bad coaching by the Jimmies equals loss. On to Minnesota. Take out your frustrations on them please.

Now that I've had the requisite 24 hours to stew in my disdain and detest for the ill conceived shit pile manifesto that is the NFL rule book, I have decided it was a bad play call on the offense's part. If you're trying to score with a dwindling clock and you throw short of the goal line, you'd better be damn sure you can get in. Rule of thumb at the one yard line you have to try to punch it in on the ground on 1st or 2nd down. They didn't. And they should have had a timeout left in their pocket on the other side of the 2-minute warning. They didn't. Bad coaching by the Jimmies equals loss. On to Minnesota. Take out your frustrations on them please.

I like it!

They still got fucked by a stupid rule....but it's time to move on. Next three are winnable games....we should get Davis back and we won't see an offense like Atlanta's again anytime soon. Go 5-1 and this loss won't hurt so much!

blandino was on dan patrick show this morning explaining the rule. It was put into effect back when NO had basically the same thing happen and they didnt feel it was right to give NO another play when in a normal case the clock would have run out. He did explain that theres several cases that at the end of the game a team is trying to go 40 or 50 or 60 yards in the final seconds and for them to get lined up and run a play just woulndt be likely....thereofr they had to come up with a "standard" which has always been 10 seconds. In this case he did agree that the "standard" bit the lions in the butt because he did feel from the 1 yard line they easily could have run another play. But the rule is the rule....however he hated seeing the game end that way.

Once again, just like a majority of the major news outlets....i felt they completely missed the biggest mistake the refs made to the point where they dont even mention rolling the clock back. 8 seconds is where the clock was when they allowed the play to continue. If you are saying hes down by contact at the .5 yard line....fine....but you need to move the clock back to that point as well and theres about 5 million picture on the internet showing that should have been 11 seconds. -10 seconds and the lions still get a play from the 1 with 1 seconds left to decide the game. How in FUCKS sake do you fuck that up as an official?

PS...completely agree with the playcalling at the end of the game. Comming off a PI penalty and its 1st down at the 1. You simply call 2 plays in the huddle....first one needs to be a run and if you fail then you quickly run play #2 and you can throw it. It was a horrible 4 downs that consisted of airmailing a 6'5'' player and the ball landing in the first row of the stands and throwing the ball to the .5 yard line when you are on the 1? Just plain dumb....

Last edited:
The final play started at 12 seconds. I time it around 2.5 seconds from snap.

So I think it's fair to say the clock started late. Overall I think they ruled it fairly. It's an unfortunate series of events, Lions were on the wrong side, but by rules correct.

This is a learning experience. No matter the call that play was going to be reviewed. If they called it correctly on the field as short, they would of reviewed for a TD. So no matter what the game was over.

It's been mentioned here, and I heard it from Tony Dungy before the Sunday night game, in that situation you just can't design a play that is not in the endzone.

Atlanta did a great job at the line, seemed like Tate was forced to cut it a bit short, than a tad low throw leads to this.

Let's not forget a completion to Jones that put them at the 2-yard line with over a minute left was negated because of a holding penalty, then an OPI on the next set up a 1st and 30. You can't put yourself in those positions. Now had they scored would they have been able to stop ATL from getting at least into field goal range with a timeout? We'll never know...but I think they would have had a better chance had they been set up at the 2-yard line with a minute left.

Lmao. Just happened in the Monday nighter. Dez TD and it was iffy at best. TD on the field. Guess what? Not overturned.

Lmao. Just happened in the Monday nighter. Dez TD and it was iffy at best. TD on the field. Guess what? Not overturned.

The Tate play wasn't iffy though. You could clearly see he was down. Dez there was 8 people around and couldn't see the ball.

Remember though, refs screw teams over like the cowboys to appease the large market teams like Green Bay!

Back