Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 4: Lions @ Vikings Thread

This start of the Lions seems an awfully similar to the start the Vikings had last year. Lots of turnovers, playing not to lose on offense.

It's just not sustainable, we will need offense to show up.

Winning by defense and ST is sustainable for a season. Not over many seasons. I agree the offense needs to pick it up a little.

They have capitalized on the short fields and do have more long drives than you think.

Nice logic.

Lions got fortunate that it hit the dude in the hands, period, end of story. Just admit that some of the turnovers were luck-based. No one is going to think any less of you.

Nice logic.

Lions got fortunate that it hit the dude in the hands, period, end of story. Just admit that some of the turnovers were luck-based. No one is going to think any less of you.

Lions got pressure which caused the mistime through and the Lions were in good defensive position to pick the ball off. There was no luck.

Mistime? The two INTS from Ryan literally smacked the guy's fingers. I don't know how you watch that and say that had anything to do with our DBs making some great play. They were in the area, and had the ball hit them after the ATL guys forgot how to catch.

It was luck. It was fortune. And it doesn't matter. No one will think ANY LESS of you for admitting that.

Mistime? The two INTS from Ryan literally smacked the guy's fingers. I don't know how you watch that and say that had anything to do with our DBs making some great play. They were in the area, and had the ball hit them after the ATL guys forgot how to catch.

It was luck. It was fortune. And it doesn't matter. No one will think ANY LESS of you for admitting that.

Throw a little behind due to pressure. It was good defense

So funny reading the comments on this page. The Lions never do anything right. It's always that the other team fucked up and we just got the lucky bounce. It never ends on this board lol.

So funny reading the comments on this page. The Lions never do anything right. It's always that the other team fucked up and we just got the lucky bounce. It never ends on this board lol.

It's sad really how they can't even give the Lions an ounce of credit.

The Lions know how to win. Close games, with turnovers, with good QB play and have shown some run game in 2 of 4 games. The team is very good and the offense can do more.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...kings-week-5-lions-eagles-soar-into-top-three

Ranked number in the league now

95% of the time this board agrees, that's why we don't talk about all the things the lions do right. When people agree there really isn't much discussion to be had

The threads get long when people have a difference of opinion.

People are discussing like 4 plays in 240 minutes of football.
If you admit we caught a break, it doesn't change the outcome of the game. If you admit someone didn't play well, it doesn't change the result of the game.

If we win a Superbowl by averaging 3 takeaways a game and scoring 15 defensive/special teams TDs this season everyone will be happy.
What it doesn't mean is we would expect the same thing to happen next season. Good teams catch breaks, we are finally capitalizing and winning by catching them. Doesn't mean they weren't a bit lucky.

I'm pretty sure all but 1 of us on this board care about the Lions and want them to win.

Last edited:
Tony, the point went completely over your head. No one is saying the Lions didn't do anything right. They played great. But for someone on here to admit that they didn't get some good fortune with those Atlanta INTs is silly.

We can't have conversations with someone who says "It's unlucky if Stafford throws the INT and it hits someone in the hands" and on the exact same situation say, "Lions were in good position to intercept Ryan's picks."

The discussions would be a lot better if one could just admit a little fortune played into the win, that's all.

Tony, the point went completely over your head. No one is saying the Lions didn't do anything right. They played great. But for someone on here to admit that they didn't get some good fortune with those Atlanta INTs is silly.

We can't have conversations with someone who says "It's unlucky if Stafford throws the INT and it hits someone in the hands" and on the exact same situation say, "Lions were in good position to intercept Ryan's picks."

The discussions would be a lot better if one could just admit a little fortune played into the win, that's all.

Nah, it didn't go over my head. It's the same shit all the time. Put the shoe on the other foot. Say Stafford throws those picks. This is what you'd read/hear. "Too hard of a throw", "Stafford is so inaccurate", "put some touch on that ball!".
Bottomline, defense was in position to make plays. Better yet, the defense forcing hurries and hits on opposing QBs to make erratic throws. Football 10. Maybe the throw did hit yhe WR in the hands but it could have been thrown in there too soon because of pressure?? That's possible..

Last edited:
Nah, it didn't go over my head. It's the same shit all the time. Put the shoe on the other foot. Say Stafford throws those picks. This is what you'd read/hear. "Too hard of a throw", "Stafford is so inaccurate", "put some touch on that ball!".

Wouldn't that be saying the same thing as they are saying? That it wasn't as much of the defense, but an error by the QB.

If the football hits the dude in the hands, he better catch it. That's football.

So you can't say on one hand, "Lions were in good position to pick off the dropped pass" and then on the hand say, "Damn, Stafford got unlucky there and the other team got lucky he couldn't catch it."

It's good fortune for both teams. I just don't understand someone's apprehension of admitting that there's luck and fortune that plays along with the solid play. It's a total package. And I am totally fine with it, but I don't have the ridiculous homer blinders to try and hide that fact.

Wouldn't that be saying the same thing as they are saying? That it wasn't as much of the defense, but an error by the QB.

That's my point. Lions don't do anything good according to this board. Same shit from the radio and it's fans. Always the negative spin on stuff. Valenti lost his mind over it the other day. Lions fan is never happy....EVER lol. We're not good but the teams we play are garbage. They're the reason why we won, not that Lions had a fkn gameplan or anything.

And like I said before, the defense could have pressured Ryan to get rid of that ball earlier than he wanted. It doesn't have to show up in the boxscore by the DLine that they created that turnover. All we see as a fan sometimes are the receivers just tipping balls off their mitts. Not always the case...

I'm ok with luck going our way though. I'm just trying to look at it from both sides...

Last edited:
Yup, I'm right there with you. But it's just hard to have a conversation with someone on here (not you) that can't accept the Lions got some breaks, as all GOOD TEAMS get. Which is totally fine, it doesn't take away anything that they've accomplished.

You don't follow the logic

The Lions weren't lucky. They made the play and earned it. Pressure and positioning

It was UNLUCKY for STAFFORD (not the Lions team). There is the difference which somehow you don't understand. If the Lions team messes up (WR) then it can be unlucky for the QB to have an int charged to him. It was not unlucky for the Lions team but it was unlucky for Stafford. Try to wrap your head around this simple logic

Was it unlucky the Lions had 9 forced fumbles and only got 4 in 2016. yes especially since Packers had 10 with 8. I was told last year by you all that fumble recovery with positioning was a skill not luck. Now you are suddenly changing your tune with the Lions doing well in recovery.

Now the Lions have 5 forced with 4 recovered in 4 games. They are forcing more at a higher rate per game and have the proper recovery rate finally. Not a lucky recovery rate, the proper recovery rate

It was pretty unlucky we didn't get any tipped picks last year. Really unlucky. The Lions are earning most of their ints even with the 2 off WRs hands. The pressure on QBs is higher and they are in better position. 7 ints in 4 games is a better rate than 10 ints in 16 games.

Lions are playing better in the turnover department. Expected with better coverage LBs, Slay improving, Killebrew improving and Quin still the savvy vet (who leads all safeties in picks since 2013). This team can force turnovers. They could actually force more if they started strip sacking people (they did once to Eli so far but the Giants got it back).

Last edited:
When a RB blows out his knee without being touched and exposes the ball because he is in so much pain and fumbles, that is luck. Now good for the lions to be aware and recover the fumble, but you can't count on that happening again.

Sometimes you get lucky. However, anything Glover Quinn does I refuse to believe is luck.

When a RB blows out his knee without being touched and exposes the ball because he is in so much pain and fumbles, that is luck. Now good for the lions to be aware and recover the fumble, but you can't count on that happening again.

Sometimes you get lucky. However, anything Glover Quinn does I refuse to believe is luck.

Tavon Wilson had a picture perfect helmet to ball on that cook fumble. It was forced not luck. They actually track non forced fumbles.

Back