Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 56 Tigers vs. White Sox June 4, 2017

Four in a row and back to .500.. man it would be nice to see a double digit win streak becaue the fans for detroit deserve it.!!!!

you aren't going to get a double digit win streak with this pitching staff. The ace has a 4.63 ERA

JV should work on seeing if he can come up with a way to get more movement on the FB and or more deception in his delivery. Hitters foul off way to many pitches on him, his FB is to straight and there is virtually zero deception.

Last edited:
#5 my ass. He is the #2 right now in Quality Starts, like it or not. Is he pitching to Verlander's standard? No.

I was being a little sarcastic.

He's pitching poorly for a guy who is supposed to be the ace of the staff. Out of 91 qualified pitchers, his numbers of 4.63 ERA (#64 ) 1.46 WHIP (#71) are probably more like a bad 3 or 4. Definitely not what the Tigers need out of him.

Perhaps Verlander is doing all he can for his present stage in his career.

This is usually about the time everyone comes out and complains that JV is done, and then he'll go on a tear like he usually does and by September everyone has to pull their foot out of their mouths.

How that could be extracted from my statement is a mystery.

JV gets no respect.. Cy Young, MVP & 2 2nd's in Cy Young should last you a lifetime..

Let's get Pelfrey back. Lord knows his 3.86 ERA and 1.16 WHIP is far better than Verlander's.

Now that is sarcasm.

Last edited:
This is usually about the time everyone comes out and complains that JV is done, and then he'll go on a tear like he usually does and by September everyone has to pull their foot out of their mouths.

every Tiger fan hopes this is the case

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2017/06/justin_verlander_mri_no_damage.html#incart_river_index
Justin Verlander's MRI reveals no damage; next start uncertain.
Mlive

One day after Justin Verlander left a game early with groin tightness, the Detroit Tigers said tests revealed no damage to their ace pitcher.
The magnetic resonance imaging scan was clean and revealed no structural damage, the team said.
Verlander will be reevaluated later this week and could still make his next start.

Who knows how long he has felt anything of discomfort before Sunday.

With Tom Dalton it's usually about all the money they are paying him and others.
Players get paid for what they have done, not what they are doing in the future. The bar is set with all the players and the amount in Millions per War and such. When I read your comments about JV or Miggy and the 28 Million they get per year, you come off as the Oakland A's owner Charlie O. Finley a real miser.

Last edited:
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2017/06/justin_verlander_mri_no_damage.html#incart_river_index
Justin Verlander's MRI reveals no damage; next start uncertain.
Mlive

One day after Justin Verlander left a game early with groin tightness, the Detroit Tigers said tests revealed no damage to their ace pitcher.
The magnetic resonance imaging scan was clean and revealed no structural damage, the team said.
Verlander will be reevaluated later this week and could still make his next start.

Who knows how long he has felt anything of discomfort before Sunday.

With Tom Dalton it's usually about all the money they are paying him and others.
Players get paid for what they have done, not what they are doing in the future. The bar is set with all the players and the amount in Millions per War and such. When I read your comments about JV or Miggy and the 28 Million they get per year, you come off as the Oakland A's owner Charlie O. Finley a real miser.

I don't care what they get paid as long as they are producing and it doesn't hamstring the current team or future of the organization. That is when I have a problem. Nobody can argue that all of these older players, with bad contracts, aren't a problem.

I don't care what they get paid as long as they are producing and it doesn't hamstring the current team or future of the organization. That is when I have a problem. Nobody can argue that all of these older players, with bad contracts, aren't a problem.

You have complained about how much players get paid for ages.

True, the last two contracts are no help for the future, Upton and Zimmermann, dead money with Sanchez, Hit-Rod, eating Pelfrey's year 2,

Next year the payroll should drop,

You have complained about how much players get paid for ages.

True, the last two contracts are no help for the future, Upton and Zimmermann, dead money with Sanchez, Hit-Rod, eating Pelfrey's year 2,

Next year the payroll should drop,

yes...but for the reasons I gave in the previous post. And it looks like I was right....look at this organization right now. It is a huge mess

yes...but for the reasons I gave in the previous post. And it looks like I was right....look at this organization right now. It is a huge mess

Verlander's and Cabrera's contracts are absolutely not the problem. There is no way you can lump them in with Sanchez, Pelfrey, etc, etc. But you do. But there is no point in discussing with you because you are dead set against Verlander and Cabrera since they signed their contracts. To you, they would have to win MVP/CY Young every year of their extensions, or else they are justifying said contract.

Verlander's and Cabrera's contracts are absolutely not the problem. There is no way you can lump them in with Sanchez, Pelfrey, etc, etc. But you do. But there is no point in discussing with you because you are dead set against Verlander and Cabrera since they signed their contracts. To you, they would have to win MVP/CY Young every year of their extensions, or else they are justifying said contract.

When 2 players make up 28% of the payroll, they are definitely part of the problem.

I was against the signings because I saw the writing on the wall.

When 2 players make up 28% of the payroll, they are definitely part of the problem.

I was against the signings because I saw the writing on the wall.

Charlie O. Finley let his best players leave and not sign when they became free agents, brought in average to mediocre players and the team turned to shit after the 3 championships in the early 70's.
Letting JV and Miggy leave instead of signing them is the same thing.
Charlie O. Dalton

Charlie O. Finley let his best players leave and not sign when they became free agents, brought in average to mediocre players and the team turned to shit after the 3 championships in the early 70's.
Letting JV and Miggy leave instead of signing them is the same thing.
Charlie O. Dalton

at least those guys won 3 WS for Oakland. Miggy and JV have zero for the Tigers :(

Back