Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Gibbons kicked off team

You give up? I'll believe it went I see it.

As an experienced internet commenter, I will say this: after we all agreed the Gibbons situation was awful, sbee should've just said, "well, I guess it's good we all agree" and moved on, while remembering it for any potential future ethics problems MSU has, and say "well, you guys shouldn't throw stones... because Gibbons!" at such a time.

or he could've found a board with dumber and more rabid Michigan fans (like MGoBlog) to troll. I'm sure he can find some stupid defending-the-defenseless comments there to argue against. Nothing is more fun than trashing a college fanbase because of what some teenage idiot fan says on a website.

I also will not believe it until I see it. This will probably die down, we each have a couple games coming up, and then a week later the University or Hoke make release a formal statement on Gibbons and Sbee will bump this thread, rehashing it all over again.

As an experienced internet commenter, I will say this: after we all agreed the Gibbons situation was awful, sbee should've just said, "well, I guess it's good we all agree" and moved on, while remembering it for any potential future ethics problems MSU has, and say "well, you guys shouldn't throw stones... because Gibbons!" at such a time.

or he could've found a board with dumber and more rabid Michigan fans (like MGoBlog) to troll. I'm sure he can find some stupid defending-the-defenseless comments there to argue against. Nothing is more fun than trashing a college fanbase because of what some teenage idiot fan says on a website.

I also will not believe it until I see it. This will probably die down, we each have a couple games coming up, and then a week later the University or Hoke make release a formal statement on Gibbons and Sbee will bump this thread, rehashing it all over again.

Save this, I call MSU and our players out when it's deserved, as a lot of you did on this thread. bookmark it

There's a thread on MGoBlog that explains a bit more. The policy change in 2011 was driven by a new Title IX mandate. In response to the mandate, Michigan quickly initiated an interim to be compliant and launched an effort to create a new policy after giving it more consideration. That took until 2013. In 2011, in addition to the lowering of the certainty threshold, it became possible for someone to raise a case without the cooperation of the victim. In the year following the interim policy change, the number of reported assaults went from 3 to 62. So the office was in new territory while they tried to figure out the new policy. That might be a part of why it took 2 years.

This is getting ridiculous. Yes Nik Stauskas is cocky and arrogant, and he throws up three fingers quite often. Why do Michigan fans not have a huge problem with this? The answer is because he's a great player, and the team is winning with him leading the way (i.e. he backs up his talk). If he was a Roy Williams type from the Lions who did his stupid first down signal every time even when the team was losing by 21 points, then yea I think fans would ridicule Stauskas a lot more. It's that carefree and loose style of play that makes him so great, and perhaps a coach who would reign in that type of behavior might actually be inhibiting his productivity on the court? Who knows. He seems to be much more effective when he's having fun out there.

If opposing teams fans feel slighted by his gestures, then that's your prerogative. I've seen far far worse, and both schools have had their share of less than gentlemanly conduct from players. Stop acting like your own farts don't stink.

yes... also various shades of orange, yellow, purple... even green during weather conditions.

he should've said neon green. the sky is never neon green.

I wish it was green before the YSU game this year, the skywriting your athletic department paid for would have looked glorious

This is getting ridiculous. Yes Nik Stauskas is cocky and arrogant, and he throws up three fingers quite often. Why do Michigan fans not have a huge problem with this? The answer is because he's a great player, and the team is winning with him leading the way (i.e. he backs up his talk). If he was a Roy Williams type from the Lions who did his stupid first down signal every time even when the team was losing by 21 points, then yea I think fans would ridicule Stauskas a lot more. It's that carefree and loose style of play that makes him so great, and perhaps a coach who would reign in that type of behavior might actually be inhibiting his productivity on the court? Who knows. He seems to be much more effective when he's having fun out there.

If opposing teams fans feel slighted by his gestures, then that's your prerogative. I've seen far far worse, and both schools have had their share of less than gentlemanly conduct from players. Stop acting like your own farts don't stink.

beating the dead horse

I've never said that this is wrong, some old school coaches don't like that stuff, some guys are more easy going and let the kids have more fun and don't take it seriously. Izzo is one, JB is the other way. there is nothing wrong with either really, just different opinions.

I guess that's somehow argumentative

Last edited:
yes... also various shades of orange, yellow, purple... even green during weather conditions.

he should've said neon green. the sky is never neon green.

We've established that pictures are not sufficient evidence for Sbee.

Never neon green? Don't forget the Aurora Borealis. Parts of the sky are illuminated neon green.

beating the dead horse

I've never said that this is wrong, some old school coaches don't like that stuff, some guys are more easy going and let the kids have more fun and don't take it seriously. Izzo is one, JB is the other way. there is nothing wrong with either really, just different opinions.

I guess that's somehow argumentative

You said a few posts ago that:

"there's a gigantic difference between yelling and strutting and doing the 3 goggles."

I took that to mean that you disapproved of Nik's behavior, so I started to defend it. But now you are saying there is nothing wrong with it? Sorry if I'm a little confused. If it is a dead issue, then I will not respond any further.

You said a few posts ago that:

"there's a gigantic difference between yelling and strutting and doing the 3 goggles."

I took that to mean that you disapproved of Nik's behavior, so I started to defend it. But now you are saying there is nothing wrong with it? Sorry if I'm a little confused. If it is a dead issue, then I will not respond any further.

there's nothing wrong with it but I don't like it, neither would Izzo. I'm not calling Stauskas a punk, I'm just saying I'm not a fan of the swag.

I also don't like country music but I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

There's a thread on MGoBlog that explains a bit more. The policy change in 2011 was driven by a new Title IX mandate. In response to the mandate, Michigan quickly initiated an interim to be compliant and launched an effort to create a new policy after giving it more consideration. That took until 2013. In 2011, in addition to the lowering of the certainty threshold, it became possible for someone to raise a case without the cooperation of the victim. In the year following the interim policy change, the number of reported assaults went from 3 to 62. So the office was in new territory while they tried to figure out the new policy. That might be a part of why it took 2 years.

Hey LOOK! Actual relevant, helpful information nearly lost in the clutter of a bunch of "argument within the argument" crap!!!!!!!!

Well played Gulo! Well played indeed!

:yay:

Hey LOOK! Actual relevant, helpful information nearly lost in the clutter of a bunch of "argument within the argument" crap!!!!!!!!

Well played Gulo! Well played indeed!

:yay:

I'm glad someone saw my post. I'm as guilty as anyone, but I really think we'd be better off just ignoring Sbee for the remainder this thread. The conversation goes nowhere otherwise. If Sbee contributes something useful then fine, but most of us just want to know how this took so long and Sbee doesn't assist in that effort.

Last edited:
I'm glad someone saw my post. I'm as guilty as anyone, but I really think we'd be better off just ignoring Sbee for the remainder this thread. The conversation goes nowhere otherwise. If Sbee contributes something useful then fine, but most of us just want to know how this took so long and Sbee doesn't assist in that effort.

I'll do one better, I'm out of this one. Feel free to carry on about Gibbons, Stauskas, or me, whatever suits you.

enjoy

Daily Editorial:https://michigandaily.com/opinion/01daily-suspect-separation29

It is difficult — maybe even unfair — to speculate on the delicate process of investigating an allegation of sexual assault, but the overwhelming student response has been one of suspicion. If the University knowingly postponed the expulsion of Gibbons in any way over the last four years, it would be an atrocity of the highest degree.

"an atrocity of the highest degree."

That's a little exaggerated. maybe. When I think of "an atrocity of the highest degree," I think of the Holocaust, the Rape of Nanking, the Holodomor, the My Lai massacre, etc.

"an atrocity of the highest degree."

That's a little exaggerated. maybe. When I think of "an atrocity of the highest degree," I think of the Holocaust, the Rape of Nanking, the Holodomor, the My Lai massacre, etc.

This is terrible for sure but I agree with this... His wording could have been a lot different..

Ok, I'm sure I'm gonna take some punches for this but I'm gonna throw it out there anyways. Let's try to take all the emotion out of this situation and just look at it logically. Why would the university punish gibbons in 2009 for something he may or may not have done? The only thing he FOR SURE is guilty of is taking advantage of an extremely intoxicated girl. It was his side versus her side and her side is so cloudy there is nothing to stand on. She doesn't remember who she texted that night or why. She doesn't remember whether the bathroom was on the second or third level of the house. She claims that he walked her to the bathroom and kept trying to pull her tights down but she couldn't remember how many times but she "thinks" it was atleast once. She doesn't remember if he pushed her on to the bed but she "thinks" it was forceful. She "thinks" she may have not been completely on the bed. In fact the only thing she recalls about having intercourse was that she vaguely remembers him pulling out...She"thinks." Was I the only one who actually read the police reports? She admits to having kissed him the night before. She admits to not fighting it or trying to yell or get away. She even admits to performing oral sex. I'm pretty sure that is nearly impossible to force someone to do short of holding a gun to one's head. Especially while only holding someone down by one arm which is what she claims. The only documented physical evidence in the reports is a bruise on her arm but no insite as far the shape or severity of this. There was also no mention of tearing. I believe at one point she mentions that the doctors mentioned there was a little stretching but that is all. I'm not claiming that I think gibbons is innocent, but I'm not going jump on board condeming him either. There is no evidence to support either claim. Everyone needs to stop taking that wannabe reporters BLOG for gold and do their own research. I think the only reason he eventually got expelled was either because some new evidence came to light that we don't know about yet or the university just got scared about the potential for the negative press from this blogger going all nuts about it and wanted to distance themselves as much as possible. The police found nothing to pursue and the "victim" herself didn't press charges. What would the university do? They kicked him out of his dorm to separate them and suspended the frat house where the innocent occurred.

Back