Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoops HC Candidates

I don't know but I wonder what the records were before? They did replace a fired head coach..

Anyway, Pat Riley was a good coach as a former player. Doc Rivers, Billy Donovan, Doug Collins (Though he had Jordon), Don Nelson, Carlisle, Jerry Sloan, Larry Brown, George Karl, and Phil Jackson. NBA not NCAA but successful nonetheless.

College wise I know John Thompson played in the NBA, for 2 years. Tony Bennet of UVA played in the NBA. A stretch but Cuonzo Martin, played in the NBA :). Maybe some I don't know about but it gives me hope.

Look at what those players were walking into. Bad programs or programs that had fallen off. Ewing inherited a bad G'town team. They were coming off seasons of 14-18 and 15-18 before JT3 was fired. Most of those wins were against the chumps on the schedule. Ewing got them to .500 in the 17-18 season and was 19-14 this past season. He seems to have them on the right track now.

Most of the programs on the list flat out suck, so it's no surprise the coaches struggled.

John U. Bacon

Verified account

@Johnubacon
3h3 hours ago
More
Bold move by UM AD Manuel to hire Juwan Howard - universally liked and respected, but lacks experience. Bet they're working to keep assistants Saddi Washington and Luke Yaklich, who would shore up Howard's college inexperience, and provide continuity w/Beilein's ethical approach

John U. Bacon

Verified account

@Johnubacon
3h3 hours ago
More
Bold move by UM AD Manuel to hire Juwan Howard - universally liked and respected, but lacks experience. Bet they're working to keep assistants Saddi Washington and Luke Yaklich, who would shore up Howard's college inexperience, and provide continuity w/Beilein's ethical approach

Coach Howard just announced Sanderson is staying on. I view this as huge I think he played a big role in player development

Fudge muffins. I would have given him a 100k raise to keep him or more.

Yeah, he was the one I really wanted to retain.

Meanwhile, Dan Gilbert steals our coach and is hospitalized with a stroke shortly thereafter...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just find this whole last month so frazzled when it comes to Michigan basketball. Not sure that is the right word. JB gets fed up with college and bolts for the NBA. Why wasn’t our AD prepare for this? I do not understand not doing everything posssible to retain the assist coaches espically the one that has been the Architect of this defensive revival at Michigan. So we lose our head coach. We may lose top assistant coaches, and have possibly 2 or 3 scholarships we need to fill. Man I hope Howard can fill this void and do it very fast. I would really start recruiting Wilson again. Push hard to get him.

Manuel allegedly had a short list from last season after JB turned down the Pistons. Can't imagine what that means, though, given the candidates he came up with.

Not a very good job by Manuel letting Luke walk damn it. Open up the Purse strings Michigan and pay him more!

Last edited:
I think when Yaklich didn't get the HC job, he was leaving no matter what. Maybe with a big enough offer he might have stayed, but who knows.

Shaka is on thin ice at Texas and Yaklich probably sees an opportunity to be the HC in waiting there.

I think when Yaklich didn't get the HC job, he was leaving no matter what. Maybe with a big enough offer he might have stayed, but who knows.

Shaka is on thin ice at Texas and Yaklich probably sees an opportunity to be the HC in waiting there.
So the same job with Texas where maybe the HC gets fired? Not sure I understand that motive. What if he doesn't get fired?

So the same job with Texas where maybe the HC gets fired? Not sure I understand that motive. What if he doesn't get fired?

It would be more impressive to turn things around at Texas than it would be to maintain the status quo at Michigan, since he already turned it around here. It's another feather in his cap if he can do the same for Texas.

At that point, he would be in good position to get a HC job somewhere. If Texas is now doing well thanks to his good defense, then maybe Shaka stays, and Yaklich looks for a HC opening elsewhere. If Texas has good defense but the O stinks, then maybe they push Shaka out and promote Yaklich.

Who knows really, but I think he feels he would be stuck behind Howard regardless of how well the D does going forward. It's basically already at a high level and more or less expected that he could keep it at a high level. Improving Texas stokes his resume.

Last edited:
It makes zero sense not up his salary and keep him unless Howard doesn't want him. 350,000 is chump change for UM..

It would be more impressive to turn things around at Texas than it would be to maintain the status quo at Michigan, since he already turned it around here. It's another feather in his cap if he can do the same for Texas.

At that point, he would be in good position to get a HC job somewhere. If Texas is now doing well thanks to his good defense, then maybe Shaka stays, and Yaklich looks for a HC opening elsewhere. If Texas has good defense but the O stinks, then maybe they push Shaka out and promote Yaklich.

Who knows really, but I think he feels he would be stuck behind Howard regardless of how well the D does going forward. It's basically already at a high level and more or less expected that he could keep it at a high level. Improving Texas stokes his resume.
Maybe he gets a feather in his cap if the defense at Michigan takes a step back. That would be telling.

Texas's defense has been pretty high up in the rankings the last few years. I'm not sure how much better Yaklich will make them.

Look, I really, really appreciated everything the dude did for Michigan to make them elite defensively. But for some reason, the fact that the offense turned into total horse manure keeps getting overlooked. It was almost as if the focus shifted 180 degrees the other way, and the thing that initially made Michigan great (offensive creativity) went out the window.

Back