Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Matthew Stafford comes in as No. 9 QB in NFL

well, 11 games in and I think the players that were polled got their QB ranking wrong.
Stafford is not #9...he is probably outside of the top 15 for this year.

NFL rankings as of 11/26

rating 90.8 22nd
yards per game 258 17th
YPA 7.00 26th
comp % 67.0 14th
Int 10 8th
TDs 17 16th

Having a rough rough yr. Still one of the best QBs in the league. Not this yr but overall he's still a good QB. Needs to bounce back next yr with a new system in place...

Having a rough rough yr. Still one of the best QBs in the league. Not this yr but overall he's still a good QB. Needs to bounce back next yr with a new system in place...

Agreed. All QB's have had tough years.....even in their prime.

Will he bounce back next year with a new OC or is it the beginning of the decline?

I think it's just an off year. Cooter sucks......Stafford hasn't been good and nobody on the outside has really made any plays, either. Once Tate left all those things came together and created this clusterfuck of shit we call our offense.

Agreed. All QB's have had tough years.....even in their prime.

Will he bounce back next year with a new OC or is it the beginning of the decline?

I think it's just an off year. Cooter sucks......Stafford hasn't been good and nobody on the outside has really made any plays, either. Once Tate left all those things came together and created this clusterfuck of shit we call our offense.

I agree that it's an off year. However, he's still just an above average starting QB...nothing more.

I agree that it's an off year. However, he's still just an above average starting QB...nothing more.

I can't argue with that, really. The numbers are on your side....certainly after this year.

I think he's better than that, though. Just my opinion.

Itd be nice if we got a legit Offensive Coordinator during Staffords last couple years under deal. It put some finality on if he desevres to be here after this deal or not. Lombardi and then Cooter is pretty brutal...though he seems to be regressing if anything.

Itd be nice if we got a legit Offensive Coordinator during Staffords last couple years under deal. It put some finality on if he desevres to be here after this deal or not. Lombardi and then Cooter is pretty brutal...though he seems to be regressing if anything.

I can get on board with that. If we bring in a new OC and Stafford still can?t get it....we?ll....gotta move on.

I just watch JBC?s offense and wonder if anyone would have a lot of success in it? Yes, Brady, Rodgers .....etc would have better numbers than our guy....but I don?t think they?d be GREAT in this piece of shit scheme.

I dont know.....I just hate the tempo....I hate the lack of aggression (though we don?t have the personnel right now) and most of all I hate the predictability. It seems the more tape there is on a Cooter run scheme, the worse our offense performs.

We called a god damn running play on 2nd and 12 down 10 with 3:30 to go. To Theo Riddick. He gained a foot. That?s just stupid fucking football.

Then the excuse will be you have to give the new OC more than 1 year to gel. But we're all assuming Jim Bob is gone but that might not be the game. When you look at the 2 injured years the years '12-'14, '18 - how can anyone say he's not any better than average for his career.

Then the excuse will be you have to give the new OC more than 1 year to gel. But we're all assuming Jim Bob is gone but that might not be the game. When you look at the 2 injured years the years '12-'14, '18 - how can anyone say he's not any better than average for his career.

When the are rookies coming in and playing at mvp levels there's no "i need a year to gel." Lol

"Why has he played at a level that hasn’t been commensurate with what he has done in the past?"

I'm not sure what he's watching but this is exactly what he's done in the past. Some will disagree but he's been one inconsistent QB. He's never had one really good season from start to finish.. Maybe 2011 but that's a long time ago.

That chart/table is telling though. And we seem to always blame the rest of the team, lack of weapons. Get a good look at SD and Phillip Rivers.. One WR the rest have less than 30 catches. We finally got a good RB so we can't blame that anymore.. Need to go to the source.

Replacing Cooter is key. He got nothing out of TD machine Ebron while he was here. I think it's a good example of how worthless Cooter is at getting the most out of players. Pathetic how much production we got out of blocking te Pettigrew his first 2 years under Linehan compared to what we got out of Ebron with Cooters retarded ass

Last edited:
Replacing Cooter is key. He got nothing out of TD machine Ebron while he was here. I think it's a good example of how worthless Cooter is at getting the most out of players. Pathetic how much production we got out of blocking te Pettigrew his first 2 years under Linehan compared to what we got out of Ebron with Cooters retarded ass

But Matt sucked with Linehan because Matt's a puss. We had to dumb down the offense. And that's not working either. Very seldom is it the OC. Remember when it didn't work with Lombardi the next season people were praising Jim Bob even though his play calling is the same now as it was before.

Last edited:
But Matt sucked with Linehan because Matt's a puss. We had to dumb down the offense. And that's not working either. Very seldom is it the OC. Remember when it didn't work with Lombardi the next season people were praising Jim Bob even though his play calling is the same now as it was before.

Do you remember the Lombardi offense?? It was fucking pathetic. Free runners to the QB multiple times a game. WR running the wrong routes.....constant timeouts because the offense couldn't get the right personnel on the field. It was a shit show, man. The guy had to run back to NO with his tail between his legs and hasn't had a sniff of a job offer since.

I give Cooter a lot of credit as a QB coach. He helped Stafford understand that not every throw had to be a 40 yard bullet between 3 defenders. He reads defenses a LOT better than he did his first 5 years. He's certainly not an all time great.....but he helped make #9 a good QB.

Not sure what the issue is this year. I thinks its the combination of a LOT of things. Either way....better get better quickly. Otherwise, Patricia and /or Stafford wont be around longer than 2020.

Do you remember the Lombardi offense?? It was fucking pathetic. Free runners to the QB multiple times a game. WR running the wrong routes.....constant timeouts because the offense couldn't get the right personnel on the field. It was a shit show, man. The guy had to run back to NO with his tail between his legs and hasn't had a sniff of a job offer since.

I give Cooter a lot of credit as a QB coach. He helped Stafford understand that not every throw had to be a 40 yard bullet between 3 defenders. He reads defenses a LOT better than he did his first 5 years. He's certainly not an all time great.....but he helped make #9 a good QB.

Not sure what the issue is this year. I thinks its the combination of a LOT of things. Either way....better get better quickly. Otherwise, Patricia and /or Stafford wont be around longer than 2020.

Lombardi's offense was hated by the offensive line as well if my memory serves me correctly. They had to dumb down blocking schemes

But Matt sucked with Linehan because Matt's a puss. We had to dumb down the offense. And that's not working either. Very seldom is it the OC.

I don't remember hearing anything about Stafford not digesting Linehans playbook. Cooter is to blame along with Stafford, but when opposing defenses come out multiple times saying they knew what we were running before the play, that's on your OC. I wonder how many defenses felt the exact same way, and didn't voice it publicly

Defense is closer to being finished and possibly top 10...still needs a lot but throw tons of money at the defense this off-season make it as good as you possibly can. Hope Kerryon stays healthy, Cooter version of Stafford is a guy that you can win with, just not a guy that will win it for you.
Linehan version of Stafford can win you some, but will lose you more.
Lombardi version of Stafford will be a epic failure, because the saints playbook works because of Brees. Stafford does not equal Brees.

I don't know if there are better OCs out there, but with a great defense the current offense with a healthy RB should be enough to win.

Last edited:
Defense is closer to being finished and possibly top 10...still needs a lot but throw tons of money at the defense this off-season make it as good as you possibly can. Hope Kerryon stays healthy, Cooter version of Stafford is a guy that you can win with, just not a guy that will win it for you.
Linehan version of Stafford can win you some, but will lose you more.
Lombardi version of Stafford will be a epic failure, because the saints playbook works because of Brees. Stafford does not equal Brees.

I don't know if there are better OCs out there, but with a great defense the current offense with a healthy RB should be enough to win.

you think that the defense is close to being finished and possibly top 10?

they are 15th in yards allowed & 26th in scoring defense.

He reads defenses a LOT better than he did his first 5 years.

I disagree with this. He was never good at reading defenses and still doesn't. Those 2 INT vs the Bears is proof of that. He also has a big problem of rotating between options.. Can't move around the pocket looking for the better one, it's why he takes too many sacks.

The thing that Matt improved upon was to play a safer game. Not as many risks. But that doesn't make him a better QB. 2011 was such a beauty season. Where's that Matt? And we always blame everyone else, HC, OC defense, OL, RB, WR, GM etc. Lets face it Matt's the problem.

Back