Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU basektball recruiting

probably better to get excited about him than Emoni Bates 2 years from now. Would be nice to land him and have him for a couple years - could be a really nice back court if he lives up to the expectations and Watts continues to develop like he did last year.

Last edited:
probably better to get excited about him than Emoni Bates 2 years from now. Would be nice to land him and have him for a couple years - could be a really nice back court if he lives up to the expectations and Watts continues to develop like he did last year.

Christie committed.

Reading up on his background, really high character kid with great parents who were college athletes at Northwestern for his mom and at a small college in Wisconsin for his dad. They are quite wealthy business people. Says he's 6-7 now and he might be more like 180 as he weighed in at 171 for the 2019 US junior basketball team.

Really the type of kid you want around your program off the court. And the type of kid who might be inclined to stay 2 years unless he is a phenom as a freshman.

If Bates does reclassify and makes it to MSU, boy, Watts, Christie and Bates at the 1, 2, and 3 would be pretty incredible.

Last edited:
Rivals has him listed as 6'5" but that could be old. Would be nice to have a 2 with that kind of length.

Rivals has him listed as 6'5" but that could be old. Would be nice to have a 2 with that kind of length.

Yeah, said he was almost 6-7 and still growing. Also has gained 15 lbs since last Fall and now weighs 185.

Jaden Akins is committing at 3 pm on Thursday. Unless something changes dramatically he’s all Green.
2022 SF Ty Rodgers Could join by the end of the month. #52 overall player for his class.

Too bad the football recruiting is a shit show. Saw we juat had a commit flip to Pitt.

Jaden Akins is committing at 3 pm on Thursday. Unless something changes dramatically he’s all Green.
2022 SF Ty Rodgers Could join by the end of the month. #52 overall player for his class.

what's that now, 2 PGs in a row over 6' tall? Too early to call it a trend, but I like it.

Last edited:
Too bad the football recruiting is a shit show. Saw we juat had a commit flip to Pitt.

football recruiting has been a shit show for years. Losing a 3 star to Pitt isn't much different from any other Monday or whatever day it happened on. In fact, you could say things are actually looking up on the recruiting front since we lost this guy to Pitt and not Bowling Green, Miami (of Ohio) or CMU.

Last edited:
Jaden Akin commits to MSU. Really thrilled with this, he's a 2-3 year player who's got fantastic athleticism and size.

He'll be playing on Emoni's high school team this Fall and it's looking more and more like Emoni will be a 2021 recruit.

Last edited:
Looks like we're adding Northeastern transfer PG, Tyson Walker tomorrow. This means we have some players transferring away.

Walker averaged 18.8 ppg and 4.8 assists last year while winning player of the year and co defensive player of the year for his conference. He lit North Carolina up for 27 points this season.

Solid addition, his defense being so good means he'll be our starter from day 1. 2 years of eligibility left. Very similar game to Cassisu Winston, obviously won't be as good, but they're similar in style, very crafty.

Solid addition. Maybe moving Watts off the ball will open his game back up as well. Now Hopefully Loyer and Kithier both head to the MAC where they probably belong. I wouldn't even be upset if Hoggard joined them.

what are the expectations for Jaden Akins? Would be nice if he's ready to play some minutes at the point and supplant Hoggard as our #1 backup option. Looking at his recruiting bio, it looks a lot like Hoggard's did - probably best to temper expectations.

oof - although does it really hurt that much to lose an undersized shooting guard that can't hit 3s from a team that barely made the tournament? If he was going to be the shining star (assuming Henry enters the draft), it would likely be another long, disappointing year anyway.

Edit: He's not likely to be our best player or even #1 guy at his position anyway if Max Christie is the real deal. Adding Christie and a better PG through the transfer portal means Watts is looking at a significantly diminished role. He would likely be the backup SG which is probably tough to swallow. I'd probably rather have him as a backup PG than Hoggard but as has been pointed out many times, it's not his natural position. Maybe Walker being around will help Hoggard's development.

Last edited:
what are the expectations for Jaden Akins? Would be nice if he's ready to play some minutes at the point and supplant Hoggard as our #1 backup option. Looking at his recruiting bio, it looks a lot like Hoggard's did - probably best to temper expectations.

Akins is the type of good sized and Uber athletic PG we haven't had here in a long time. He transferred to Sunrise Christian and backed up the #1 PG in the country, so his role was different than it would have been anywhere else. He's a pure PG, a facilitator, and a plus defender. He's going to come in like Gary Harris did as a defender, he's lock down from the start. His shot is OK, but he's not a great shooter yet. I see him as a 10-12 minute guy with maybe a bigger role as the season goes on. Izzo will play guys that can defend though.

Akins is a top 55 recruit. Plays on the best high school team in the country and practices and plays against other D1 players daily. He's 6-3 or closer to 6-4, 185 lbs right now and can really jump and finish around the basket both dunking and with an array of tough layups.

When's the last time we had a PG who could do this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFWBs0kucS4

Who’s in the queue to replace Izzo when he retires?

Last edited:
Who?s in the queue to replace Izzo when he retires?

I’ve always wondered this. 15 years ago I would have said Tom Crean undoubtedly, but that’s not happening now. I don’t really care for any of our assistants, yes it worked for Izzo and jud but I hope we don’t go that route.

Last edited:
5 or 6 years ago I was high on Fred Hoiberg and Gregg Marshall. Hoiberg had a lot of success at Iowa State (Last Chance U for Korie Lucious and Chris Allen) but his career seems to have taken a real dump since leaving Iowa State. And it turns out Gregg Marshall is a complete psycho.

Back