Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU basektball recruiting

I still find it hard to believe LaMelo would even be eligible. But yeah, I don't think any program should touch that with a 10 foot pole. At best he's a one and done (whether he should be is another conversation) where you have to hope his dad keeps his mouth shut at least some of the time.

If what I'm reading about Stewart is true then is makes things dicey for next year up front. You figure Ward to leave even though he's doomed to not get draft high (if at all) no matter when he comes out. That basically leaves Tillman as your inside game (unless people think Bingham can make a giant leap next year).

No surprise, he chose Washington over us ������

Stewart's recruitment was unfortunately not unusual. He was set to commit to MSU, then Duke came in and looked to be a slam dunk, then as happens, something unusual occurred in the last few weeks, his handlers started contacting recruiters (With their hands out is the rumor). I don't think Duke cheats, they just have a great program with a record of playing for titles and putting kids into the first round that is impeccable. And as much as we despise him, Coach K is impressive as a leader of young men. So I think his handlers were rebuffed by Izzo and Coach K's people and they went looking around. Washington has a staff member he knew from NY so there was a contact there. Might not even be anyone on staff that dealt with the handlers.

Leaves a big hole inside next season if Ward leaves like expected.

Stewart's recruitment was unfortunately not unusual. He was set to commit to MSU, then Duke came in and looked to be a slam dunk, then as happens, something unusual occurred in the last few weeks, his handlers started contacting recruiters (With their hands out is the rumor). I don't think Duke cheats, they just have a great program with a record of playing for titles and putting kids into the first round that is impeccable. And as much as we despise him, Coach K is impressive as a leader of young men. So I think his handlers were rebuffed by Izzo and Coach K's people and they went looking around. Washington has a staff member he knew from NY so there was a contact there. Might not even be anyone on staff that dealt with the handlers.

Leaves a big hole inside next season if Ward leaves like expected.

You always come with excuses on why Izzo once again lost out on a player. Every year it?s the same stuff with you. ?I?m hearing good things about so and so......he wants to commit now but blah blah blah?. Then the flood of excuses on why Izzo lost out again. Hell we lost one of our plan A targets to fucking Dayton this year. Meanwhile we lose out on kids like Timme who went to Gonzaga because he didn?t want to wait for these other guys to decide. This was an epic failure in recruiting and I?m guaranteeing Izzo knows it.

I don't remember ever hearing Stewart was set to come to MSU. There was speculation he was waiting to hear where Carey went before making a decision but ky and Washington were both in consideration w/ MSU if Carey chose dook. This is just more proof that these crystal ball predictions are basically useless.

This is particularly bad considering how Izzo's offense has worked inside/out w/ Ward the last couple years. Stewart has to know Ward is likely gone next year which definitely means opportunity to play right away for a team that runs an office he can thrive in and has featured several big men who were highly drafted. The misuse/limited minutes for guys like Davis and JJJ has to be a factor.

By the way, is anyone else worried that Rocket Watts hasn't signed an LOI yet?

Last edited:
From what I've read about Stewart, he's not a guy they'd be building the offense around anyway. Plays with a high motor and good athlete, but not polished offensively. In other words, possibly not more effective than Tillman could be next year in the same spot, and then probably gone after a year. If there were "handlers" suddenly involved, then not worth the trouble.

It does leave things iffy depth-wise next year if Ward leaves and Izzo can't scramble to get someone else. The team would have to hope Kithier and/or Bingham are ready for significant minutes or go smaller more often with guys like Henry (or maybe Ahrens) or even Brown (who has the length but not the strength right now) spending time at the 4.

I don't remember ever hearing Stewart was set to come to MSU. There was speculation he was waiting to hear where Carey went before making a decision but ky and Washington were both in consideration w/ MSU if Carey chose dook. This is just more proof that these crystal ball predictions are basically useless.

This is particularly bad considering how Izzo's offense has worked inside/out w/ Ward the last couple years. Stewart has to know Ward is likely gone next year which definitely means opportunity to play right away for a team that runs an office he can thrive in and has featured several big men who were highly drafted. The misuse/limited minutes for guys like Davis and JJJ has to be a factor.

By the way, is anyone else worried that Rocket Watts hasn't signed an LOI yet?

Watts is not allowed to sign a LOI until the late signing period since he didn't during the early 1. He wanted to do a ceremony in his home town, he plays basketball out of state. He's the heir apparent to Winston. Probably a better athlete and pure scorer than Winston, not as good of a passer or as smart yet.

I think Izzo needs to change his approach with regards to 1 and dones. Fill your class up so the roster won't have holes and then maybe save a spot for a 1 and done. I have to think if he hadn't have been saving a spot for Cary or Stewart, the class would have a really good top 50 big man in it, someone who would likely be here for a few years.

Last edited:
Watts is not allowed to sign a LOI until the late signing period since he didn't during the early 1. He wanted to do a ceremony in his home town, he plays basketball out of state. He's the heir apparent to Winston. Probably a better athlete and pure scorer than Winston, not as good of a passer or as smart yet.

I think Izzo needs to change his approach with regards to 1 and dones. Fill your class up so the roster won't have holes and then maybe save a spot for a 1 and done. I have to think if he hadn't have been saving a spot for Cary or Stewart, the class would have a really good top 50 big man in it, someone who would likely be here for a few years.

There is something to be said for that. Especially one and done big men. They take longer to develop and often don't make a huge impact in Year 1, and then they're gone before their impact is truly felt. We lucked out with JJJ and still only got to the Second Round with him. College basketball is a guard and wing dominated sport where you have just to hope not to get run over on the inside. Certainly Izzo has been burned by going all in on some of these types and coming out with nothing.

There is this prevailing thought that you need that kind of talent to win a National Championship, and Duke and Kentucky have been able to do with with freshman dominated groups, but only those schools can recruit enough of them to get away with it. You do need NBA talent though. Probably a mix of guys who have NBA potential, but who can develop over 2 and 3 years is a better way to go. Those guys outside the Top 10 but not too far. Occasionally some develop faster than expected and leave after one.

Last edited:
There is something to be said for that. Especially one and done big men. They take longer to develop and often don't make a huge impact in Year 1, and then they're gone before their impact is truly felt. We lucked out with JJJ and still only got to the Second Round with him. College basketball is a guard and wing dominated sport where you have just to hope not to get run over on the inside. Certainly Izzo has been burned by going all in on some of these types and coming out with nothing.

There is this prevailing thought that you need that kind of talent to win a National Championship, and Duke and Kentucky have been able to do with with freshman dominated groups, but only those schools can recruit enough of them to get away with it. You do need NBA talent though. Probably a mix of guys who have NBA potential, but who can develop over 2 and 3 years is a better way to go. Those guys outside the Top 10 but not too far. Occasionally some develop faster than expected and leave after one.

Packing the roster w/ top 50 or 100 talent then saving a spot for a one and done is easier said than done. Other than Stewart, who we whiffed on, those guys tend to be package deals for schools like dook, ky, ku, sometimes UNC and now apparently, Arizona. Limiting the scope of recruiting geographically to driving distance to campus only makes that harder.

By the way, when is Keion Brooks supposed to announce, not that I expect to land him, particularly now that his teammate is headed to Washington.

Both Villanova and North Carolina have won titles recently with teams built exactly like you suggest. Teams dominated by 3rd and 4th year players with maybe a few NBA potential guys. It's what Izzo's best teams have been too.

Even when you get a team full of 1 and dones, it's no guarantee, Kentucky is hit or miss year to year. Only Coach K has been able to get his 1 and dones to play like seasoned vets seemingly every single season.

Think we offered him right after Brooks ruled us out a few weeks ago. Not a good year closing for Izzo.

2020 PG Jalen Terry commits.

Absolute freak of an athlete at only 5-11. Kid can 360 slam dunk in games. He can touch his head in the rim. Can shoot and pass. He’s small, but reminds me of Allen Iverson.

247 #31 player, Rivals 45.

article says he opted not to sign. didn't you say he couldn't sign because of some issue (academic, I think) or am I thinking of a different recruiting situation?

edit: nevermind - post 809 you said he wanted to do a signing ceremony at home, my bad.

Last edited:
Back