Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU basektball recruiting

We won?t get Stewart or Carey

Everything looks good in those recruitments, getting the last visit for Carey helps too. Having two lottery picks last year helps out too, though those two are lottery picks if they go to wayne state

Everything looks good in those recruitments, getting the last visit for Carey helps too. Having two lottery picks last year helps out too, though those two are lottery picks if they go to wayne state

I'd say Stewart is 80% Green. Carey maybe 40%, I think Duke will land him. Stewart recently gave an interview where he talked about his visit to MSU, the best part was hanging out with the guys who he'll be playing with next year. Stewart will be a Spartan. Carey could be too.

Here's my question, if we land Stewart AND Carey and Kenny Goins is gone next year, who is going to get all their minutes?

Here's my question, if we land Stewart AND Carey and Kenny Goins is gone next year, who is going to get all their minutes?

My money is on Braden Burke. He averaged like 3 pts a game at Robert Morris before transferring here. Fits the mold of a low talent player that could eat up 20-25 minutes a game.

My money is on Braden Burke. He averaged like 3 pts a game at Robert Morris before transferring here. Fits the mold of a low talent player that could eat up 20-25 minutes a game.

is he a walk-on transfer who can earn a scholarship playing slightly (i.e. barely measurable) better defense while offering nothing on the offensive end? if not, I think you'll have to look further down the bench.

Last edited:
Isaiah Stewart canceled his visit to Duke this weekend. Not clear if he's rescheduling.

#3 player in the Nation, 6-10 C from FL.

Vernon Carey Jr.

@vernoncarey22
Last official visit to MSU this weekend!✅ #SpartanDawg

So, Carey is announcing his decision Thursday. It’s us or Duke. I never know what to make of B Ball recruiting. And Duke usually beats us in these battles. But we did get 2 officialss including his last just a couple weeks ago. His dad prefers MSU.

He’s the Rivals #1, 247 #2, and ESPN #3 player. 6-10, 270 lbs and can do it alll. He can shoot, dribble, score, and rebound. He’s an NBA player right now.

#6 overall player Isaiah Stewart also down to us and Duke, 6-9, 250 lb center. Word is he will pick wherever Carey doesn’t pick. My gut says we get Carey and Duke gets Stewart. Who knows.

Combo Guard, Anthony Edwards has reclassified to this class. He’s the new #1 overall player in the class. MSU is thought to be one of the 2 or 3 favorites for him.

I don’t expect to get any of those 3. Meanwhile others are committing elsewhere as we wait. Hope we don’t end up with more Austin Thornton, Kenny Goins type players taking those scholarships

Oh yeah. I'm getting my hopes up on this one. We all know Duke's getting both of those guys.

Combo Guard, Anthony Edwards has reclassified to this class. He’s the new #1 overall player in the class. MSU is thought to be one of the 2 or 3 favorites for him.

We could get Goose? I thought he was more of a wing man than a combo guard, but either way, that would be freakin awesome!

fa4f1f63f1ffcf9389050e4a36357d83.jpg

Last edited:
Carey announces Thursday, finalists MSU, Duke, and UNC, everyone says us or Duke. Our track record against them in recruiting is not good but Carey sought out MSU and took 2 officials, comments regularly on MSU players social media. Might be a toss up but the one who loses out likely gets Stewart, I'd be happy with either.

One thing I have to say is watching last night, Carey would have to love the prospect of playing with winston

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Carey announces Thursday, finalists MSU, Duke, and UNC, everyone says us or Duke. Our track record against them in recruiting is not good but Carey sought out MSU and took 2 officials, comments regularly on MSU players social media. Might be a toss up but the one who loses out likely gets Stewart, I'd be happy with either.

One thing I have to say is watching last night, Carey would have to love the prospect of playing with winston

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, the coaches also have no idea where Carey is picking. Some of the crystal balls to Duke have come with a disclaimer that it's a guess. It's 50-50 and it we don't land him Stewart is likely heading here.

Between the 2, I think Carey is way better right now, he's more polished and is a scorer who can score from all over the court, not just the post. Stewart is more of an energy guy, is a better defender, but doesn't have the offensive game Carey has.

Carey is the type of post player you win National Titles with, he's basically unstoppable inside 15 feet. Stewart is really good too, but just not that much of an impact on offense.

Vernon Carey compares to Joel Embid in the NBA. Stewart is more like a Miles Turner (Pacers Center).

Yeah, the coaches also have no idea where Carey is picking. Some of the crystal balls to Duke have come with a disclaimer that it's a guess. It's 50-50 and it we don't land him Stewart is likely heading here.

Between the 2, I think Carey is way better right now, he's more polished and is a scorer who can score from all over the court, not just the post. Stewart is more of an energy guy, is a better defender, but doesn't have the offensive game Carey has.

Carey is the type of post player you win National Titles with, he's basically unstoppable inside 15 feet. Stewart is really good too, but just not that much of an impact on offense.

Vernon Carey compares to Joel Embid in the NBA. Stewart is more like a Miles Turner (Pacers Center).

his highlights are unreal, of course all are when you eliminate all of their mistakes and only show the jumpers they make but you can see some things that other players just can't do on there. I never feel good in a recruiting battle against Duke, but I'd for sure be happy with 1 of these 2 to go along with Hall and Watts, possibly Edwards.

One thing, if Carey was watching last night, it's hard not to want to play with Cassius Winston next year.

If Stewart is the better defender, he could get more minutes from Izzo. I'd like to think he would treat Carey more like Bridges and wouldn't underplay him like he did Davis and JJJ.

Guards win championships and Winston and Langford will be seniors if we land Carey. Carey will get a lot of the credit but it would be hard for him to do that without that back court. Unfortunately, Carey is a 1-and-done and Winston and Langford would be out of eligibility so the pressure would be on because after that, it's the Loyer and Tillman show.

Last edited:
If Stewart is the better defender, he could get more minutes from Izzo. I'd like to think he would treat Carey more like Bridges and wouldn't underplay him like he did Davis and JJJ.

Guards win championships and Winston and Langford will be seniors if we land Carey. Carey will get a lot of the credit but it would be hard for him to do that without that back court. Unfortunately, Carey is a 1-and-done and Winston and Langford would be out of eligibility so the pressure would be on because after that, it's the Loyer and Tillman show.

Rocket Watts is going to be a stud, but I don't think he's a 4 year player either.

Rocket Watts is going to be a stud, but I don't think he's a 4 year player either.

Which is he? 247 has him as a combo guard, Rivals lists him as a PG. Seems we would want him at the point w/ Loyer backing him up - at least until we can get a normal sized person as the backup.

It's a bit of a double edged sword - if he's a slow starter like Langford, he could be a 4 year player. if he comes lights it up early, I guess there's some risk - he's only 6' 3" though so he'd have to be a stud PG to go early, is there even a shooting guard that small in the NBA?

who knows, maybe Loyer will be the next Mark Montgomery, only smaller. When he was a freshman, you would panic when he came into the game but by the time he was a senior, he was solid and definitely the best option at the point.

Last edited:
Back