Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU basektball recruiting

Yup, no surprise to anyone that isn’t wasting money on insider info over at the pay sites. I still bet Duke gets Stewart too.

Predictable. Stewart should be making a decision in the next week or so now.

Rivals doesn't even have MSU on Anthony Edwards list. We are on the list at 247 but both have FSU as the heavy favorite. I think if him reclassifying to 2019 is telling anything, it more likely means he wants to be part of another incoming class of the top 3 players in the country all going to dook.

these wins seem improbable even for dook and krooziewooski. does anyone believe they're the one program that lands tons of elite recruits that's not dirty? Or do people think a program like unc is also clean and/or hoops is different in that you don't have to be Alabama or osu level dirty and it's just Kentucky and Kansas that are cheating? I'm definitely open to the idea that hoops is actually different and these one-and-done kids will forego the KU or UK money, but it just seems unlikely that so many of them in every class would do that - and if that's the case I get why they go to dook to be showcased players instead of MSU to sit behind the Goins' and Wollenmans of the world.

Last edited:
scary thing is, I read today that when LOI signing opened up on Nov 14, Watts didn't sign a letter of intent for MSU. He's only a verbal commit at this point.

Isaiah Stewart reportedly deciding between not 2 schools now. MSU and Washington.

Rivals doesn't even have MSU on Anthony Edwards list. We are on the list at 247 but both have FSU as the heavy favorite. I think if him reclassifying to 2019 is telling anything, it more likely means he wants to be part of another incoming class of the top 3 players in the country all going to dook.

these wins seem improbable even for dook and krooziewooski. does anyone believe they're the one program that lands tons of elite recruits that's not dirty? Or do people think a program like unc is also clean and/or hoops is different in that you don't have to be Alabama or osu level dirty and it's just Kentucky and Kansas that are cheating? I'm definitely open to the idea that hoops is actually different and these one-and-done kids will forego the KU or UK money, but it just seems unlikely that so many of them in every class would do that - and if that's the case I get why they go to dook to be showcased players instead of MSU to sit behind the Goins' and Wollenmans of the world.

There's literally a federal court case going on that shows NCAA Hoops is just as rotten as any other sport. I've said even here before that it wouldn't surprise me if MSU had someone on staff that handles the "under the table" stuff makes sure Izzo never finds out. That's not taking a dig at MSU specifically, but a reality that big business leads to squeezing every advantage. If Coach K and Izzo are truly clean themselves (which I could believe), that still says nothing about what the powers that be might be doing behind the scenes.

There's literally a federal court case going on that shows NCAA Hoops is just as rotten as any other sport. I've said even here before that it wouldn't surprise me if MSU had someone on staff that handles the "under the table" stuff makes sure Izzo never finds out. That's not taking a dig at MSU specifically, but a reality that big business leads to squeezing every advantage. If Coach K and Izzo are truly clean themselves (which I could believe), that still says nothing about what the powers that be might be doing behind the scenes.

I'm aware of the case and realize now that I left Arizona off the list of major offenders. I would be surprised if MSU had someone handling the under the table stuff given, as I recall we were named in that report behind that court case as the only school or one of the only schools involved in Bowen's recruiting that didn't agree to his requests for money. Seems improbable that we would have a "bag man" and not have that surface in this investigation. Why would our bag man be the only one not willing to pay Bowen but offer money under the table to other recruits?

Last edited:
I should say, I'm not saying I think we DO have one, only that it wouldn't surprise me if we did. Keep in mind that case is about breaking federal laws, not about the garbage rules the NCAA has in place. That we are seeing the underside of the NCAA through this case doesn't change that they case itself has nothing to do with amateurism. Who's to say we didn't have a bag man who was just a little bit smarter than the AZ and Kansas staff?

Who's to say the University doesn't just work harder to ensure nothing can tie back to them? Football is a useful comparison here. Alabama doesn't need to pay all their players. If every mechanic in the state will fix a car for any member of a player's family, that's just kindness. Alabama doesn't even need to tell them to do it. But there's a handler that's letting high schoolers know what perks playing for Alabama really has. The idea that someone is sitting around with stacks of hundred dollar bills in a paper bag is from the movies. Real corruption barely looks like anything.

Last edited:
if we had a bagman that was just smarter than the others, we probably wouldn't come in 2nd or 3rd for all these elite recruits and once in a while a KU or dook or UK lean would flip to MSU. That doesn't happen, but MSU leans get flipped pretty regularly it seems. It just doesn't add up - for years, Izzo wasn't even the best recruiter in the conference. Bill Self and Thad Matta both outrecruited him regularly. Is it possible we have a man behind the scenes? yes but I would be pretty surprised because it seems highly unlikely and if we do, they should think about getting rid of him, because he's not delivering.

I'm not so sure how useful that comparison is. MSU clearly doesn't have anything close to the cache of Alabama - we're not a national brand. In fact, as far as brands go not only are we not a national name but we're a distant 4th in our own division. If our network is fixing cars for the families of 3 and low 4 stars to get them to come to MSU over teams like BC, Minnesota, Buffalo, Houston or Cincinnati then again, we need to rethink the way we're doing it because if that's the case, why even cheat? We're more of a household name in basketball but we're not a true blue blood program like dook, uk, ku or unc. I don't think that model would be very effective in hoops where kids like Bowen are getting high 6 figure payouts from shadier, higher or similar profile programs.

Last edited:
Predictable. Stewart should be making a decision in the next week or so now.

Isaiah Stewart reportedly deciding between not 2 schools now. MSU and Washington.

It's been over a month now and the only news out since has been about other schools in the hunt. as of Jan 3, Stewart himself has said he's considering dook, MSU, Syracuse, KY and Washington.

Apparently, he's been recruited heavily by dook commits Vern Carey Jr, Boogie Ellis, and Wendell Moore. Of those efforts, Stewart said "those are my boys. They?ve been trying to get me to seal the deal.? There is a similar effort among the incoming class at Kentucky. Near the end of December, dook SF commit Wendell Moore said he's confident Stewart will land at dook.

It's been over a month now and the only news out since has been about other schools in the hunt. as of Jan 3, Stewart himself has said he's considering dook, MSU, Syracuse, KY and Washington.

Apparently, he's been recruited heavily by dook commits Vern Carey Jr, Boogie Ellis, and Wendell Moore. Of those efforts, Stewart said "those are my boys. They?ve been trying to get me to seal the deal.? There is a similar effort among the incoming class at Kentucky. Near the end of December, dook SF commit Wendell Moore said he's confident Stewart will land at dook.

lots of people hearing lots of different things, a number of sites and reporters like Corey Evans from Rivals are saying Washington. Nobody seems to feel strongly about MSU though they currently lead in crystal ball predictions, seems like nobody has a good feel on this one. The wisdom once was that he was going to somewhere other than where Carey went, not sure if that's still the case.

These crystal ball predictions are about as reliable as '76 Fiat. I put more stock in what he and other players are saying than what these sites are predicting - and due to the past few years, I'm biased toward thinking the worst in these situations. Of course, I bet if you asked Winston, Bridges and Langford where they thought Josh Jackson would go before he made up his mind, they were probably all sure they had convinced him to come to MSU. So take what these dook and uk commits are saying w/ a grain of salt. I have no idea what the kid is going to do - I'm just noticing recent headlines/soundbytes don't seem all that favorable.

Last edited:
My niece is a cheerleader at La Lumiere and knows I am a big MSU fan. She texted my wife tonight and said Izzo was in attendance. So I assume he was there to talk with Stewart and Brooks.

I have to admit I don't really follow recruiting anymore so I knew nothing about her school. I only knew she was dating a tall guy that was from out of the country that was going to UC-Santa Barbara. I had no idea that her school was the best team in the country and was completely stacked until I just looked it up.

Last edited:
My niece is a cheerleader at La Lumiere and knows I am a big MSU fan. She texted my wife tonight and said Izzo was in attendance. So I assume he was there to talk with Stewart and Brooks.

I have to admit I don't really follow recruiting anymore so I knew nothing about her school. I only knew she was dating a tall guy that was from out of the country that was going to UC-Santa Barbara. I had no idea that her school was the best team in the country and was completely stacked until I just looked it up.

I had a similar experience a couple years ago when I first heard about JJJ and Bowen. Four of my cousins went there in the 80s and their dad was involved in the founding of it back in the 60s. Back then it wasn't competitive locally (they probably got smoked by the La Port and Gary IN publics) let alone a national basketball powerhouse until very recently. Before that, their most famous alum was probably Jim Gaffigan in the mid 80s (he did play football at Purdue for a year or so) or possibly Chief Justice John Roberts...

Last edited:
Stewart set to announce Sunday. This will end one of the most frustrating recruiting seasons I can ever remember. Swung and missed on all of our big targets. Izzo needs to find a new approach. The guy just struggles to close.

Back