Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU basektball recruiting

Hopefully Jabari + the 2014 class is just the perfect storm of bad luck and he can bring in a decent haul for 2015. But he'll again have to venture outside of Michigan as I only see 1 kid from the state ranked in the top 100 (which is really part of the problem) in that class.

Unfortunately, the trend seems to have been established now, and kids being the way they are, that Duke, UK, and KU (and AZ on the west coast) will probably show up far more often than any other name next to prospects ranked in the top 20.

A national title this year might help but I don't know. Nor do I know if another Final Four will. I'm not sure, the "every player who's played here 4 years has been in a Final Four" selling point means much given that most of those kids think they're one and done. They may want to win a national title in their one year, but that means teaming up with 3 or 4 other top 15 kids and trying to just overwhelm teams with talent. Not sure MSU is capable of pulling off those kinds of hauls. Which then begs the question of whether going after one and done talent again is really worth it. He missed out on a lot of those kids in the next tier by focusing on the one and dones.

Last edited:
wouldn't you figure that a top 5 program would get top 20 players every year?

Thats what ive been complaining about for years. Our recruiting hasnt been bad (until this year) but Duke, OSU, UNC Recent Kentucky and a host of others always have more top players interested, it seems that way.

Thats what ive been complaining about for years. Our recruiting hasnt been bad (until this year) but Duke, OSU, UNC Recent Kentucky and a host of others always have more top players interested, it seems that way.

I don't mind not getting top 5 guys as long as we get the dawsons, paynes, applings, and harris types. Those guys were all either 5 stars or burger boys

Last edited:
We really can't complain too much, we start 3 McD's AA's, another 5 star in Payne, and a Mr. Basketball. We have a Mr. Basketball runner up as our 6th man. Izzo took a different approach the last couple years and lost out on a lot of other guys because of it. Jaylen Johnson and James Young were guys he did not go after hard, probably could have had 1 or both, but he had other guys in mind.

Montaque Gill-Caesar is a kid that is trying to reclassify from the 2015 class to the 2014 one. We have a good shot to land him, buyt as always, he wants to go to Kentucky.

We really can't complain too much, we start 3 McD's AA's, another 5 star in Payne, and a Mr. Basketball. We have a Mr. Basketball runner up as our 6th man. Izzo took a different approach the last couple years and lost out on a lot of other guys because of it. Jaylen Johnson and James Young were guys he did not go after hard, probably could have had 1 or both, but he had other guys in mind.

Montaque Gill-Caesar is a kid that is trying to reclassify from the 2015 class to the 2014 one. We have a good shot to land him, buyt as always, he wants to go to Kentucky.

If he wants to go to Kentucky how do we have a good shot of landing him?

If he wants to go to Kentucky how do we have a good shot of landing him?

I don't know, you should ask Gary Harris and Adrien Payne about that

also, i know we're keeping an eye on Josh CUnningham from Chicago, he's rated somewhat highly, top 80 or so, 4 star, but he hasn't really been consistent. a good start to the season could earn a spartan offer

I don't know, you should ask Gary Harris and Adrien Payne about that

also, i know we're keeping an eye on Josh CUnningham from Chicago, he's rated somewhat highly, top 80 or so, 4 star, but he hasn't really been consistent. a good start to the season could earn a spartan offer

I'm sure we've lost a lot more elite recruits to KY than they have to us since Calipari arrived especially if you count all the elite recruits that didn't even consider MSU but went to or had KY in their top 3 or 5. Landing guys like Harris and Payne is great but MSU landing a kid that wants to go to KY is still a long shot. Calipari got the KY job in March of 09 and already he's had 3 recruiting classes better than Izzo's best...

Deyonta davis to msu

If any of your guys living in Michigan wanna see some big time HS basketball you should check out this showcase in Muskegon on Jan 4th.

http://localsportsjournal.com/2013/...te-players-and-teams-to-muskegon-high-school/

3 games including Deyonta Davis' Muskegon team going against Cliff Alexander's Chicago Curie.

The 2 earlier games are

Grand Rapids Christian, a Class A semifinalist last season, will take on the preseason No. 2-ranked team in Michigan, Detroit Consortium, and 6-7 superstar Josh Jackson, the No. 2 sophomore player in the country. Jackson has already been offered by Florida State, Kansas, Memphis, Ohio State and Oregon.

The other matchup is a showdown between two of the nation?s best senior guards ? Xavier recruit Edmond Sumner of Detroit Country Day against Kentucky-bound Tyler Ulis of Marian Catholic (Ill).

Should be some great ball and as an added bonus you can boo Alexander and Ulis. lol

Davis will be a top 50 player and the #2 player in the state. Good pickup.

he's supposedly tight with Eric Davis too, working on getting him to EL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Eric-Davis-140395

i've read different things on him, still a top 30 guy but some scouts are bullish on him. I like his offer sheet for a 2015 player, interest by all of the big boys.

those two would calm some recruiting fears, we'll pay the piper for recruiting misses next year but help would be on the way

This doesn't really have anything to do with recruiting, but how many more years is Izzo planning on coaching? And is Dwayne Stephens the next coach?

You guys remember Dauwan Anderson? Came to MSU and ended up leaving because his mother passed. This was last night, he was on espn this morning of course.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=2HWv1cYCUPw

Yep he always had some hops. He's not exactly setting the world on fire at Wagner otherwise, though.

You guys remember Dauwan Anderson? Came to MSU and ended up leaving because his mother passed. This was last night, he was on espn this morning of course.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=2HWv1cYCUPw

Just glad for the kid that he's playing ball. Hope he's got a great deal of happiness in his life. It was a difficult thing he went through.

With us losing 4 starters most likely and not having a strong recruiting class. What are the chances that we bring in a graduate player in like Wood 2 years ago? Maybe that was 3 years ago. Those players can be quick fixes for a year.

With us losing 4 starters most likely and not having a strong recruiting class. What are the chances that we bring in a graduate player in like Wood 2 years ago? Maybe that was 3 years ago. Those players can be quick fixes for a year.

It possible but that process wouldn't start until the summer. Josh Cunningham is still out there and might get an offer, I think we just wait for the coaching carousel to stop and see what's up, that's how we got ellis.

Also, I'm feeling a little better about next year after watching costello and Valentine mature this year.

It possible but that process wouldn't start until the summer. Josh Cunningham is still out there and might get an offer, I think we just wait for the coaching carousel to stop and see what's up, that's how we got ellis.

Also, I'm feeling a little better about next year after watching costello and Valentine mature this year.

I'm sure the clutch 3 by Byrd has you very excited...

I just feel like we're going to need someone who is a scorer. Valentine, Costello, Trice, Ellis, none of the guys can really get themselves a shot when needed. I guess what I'm saying is that there isn't a clear go to guy in the group.

Back