Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

Mosley and Fletcher join the class.

Fletcher is a freak! 6-6, 250 lbs and runs a 4.6-4.7 forty. Georgia offered him as an edge rusher/OLB. We beat Bama, Michigan, Georgia and many others for him. Fletcher was dominant at camps this Spring, he’s a fantastic athlete and a very smart player. He’s also proof the rankings are a joke, he’s as good of a D Line athlete as there is in th country. He’s got freaky long arms, is flexible, and plays really low. He was the #1 D Lineman on our board. Really compares to Josh King physically, he’s more explosive though and plays lower although I think King was more powerful.

Last edited:
3 star PA RB Aaron Young committed yesterday. Love this pickup. 5-9, 190 lbs with 4.4 speed. Penn State wanted to keep him home. Pitt also. Nebraska, Stanford, and Wisconsin were some of the other competition.

CB Shilo Sanders will be visiting MSU this weekend. His dad will be with him for the visit, you might have heard of him, Deion Sanders, aka the best cover corner in NFL history.

OG/DT from Ohio, JD Duplain, was thought to be flipping to Ohio State, they went after him hard and he visited there twice in the last few weeks including to the UM game. He's reaffirmed his commitment to MSU and will sign next month. OT, Nick Samac, also from Ohio, was also a target of an attempted flip by Ohio State and stayed with MSU. Samac's teammate is a 4 star OSU OT commit, but Samac had a growth spurt and outplayed him this year. He's now 6-6, 285 and is a LT prospect, a 4 star on 247.

PA RB Aaron Young is the most exciting RB prospect we've gotten in a long time, he's got 4.4 speed on his 5-9, 195 lb frame and is another really underrated kid. He's the best player on the best football team in PA at the highest division, his team is still in the playoffs and he's putting up monster numbers. I think Aaron Young is in the RB rotation next season. We have needed a quick scat back who's hard to tackle like him for a while, he reminds me of Kareem Hunt.

O line class is great. DuPLain and Samac are both really good. Dobbs is a 5 star and is an elite athlete. I like Spencer Brown almost as much as Dobbs, also an elite athlete at 6-6, 300 lbs, but he's more raw.

Last edited:
do you have a premium subscription to 247? I don't see any star ratings for recruits there - just rivals and espn.

it's nice to see guys like Dobbs and Brown committing as the OL has consistently been the biggest weakness for this team. Maybe Duplain and Samac will work out but right now it looks like we beat out the buckeye's scout team for them.

Last edited:
do you have a premium subscription to 247? I don't see any star ratings for recruits there - just rivals and espn.

it's nice to see guys like Dobbs and Brown committing as the OL has consistently been the biggest weakness for this team. Maybe Duplain and Samac will work out but right now it looks like we beat out the buckeye's scout team for them.

Yeah, I guess it takes premium to see their rankings now?

Samac is a stud. DuPlain might play DT for us, really reminds me of Mike Panusiuk, he's one of the strongest players in the country.

Those 4 are all elite O Line prospects. All 4 should be multi year starters at MSU. The 5th guy, Damon Kaylor, experts aren't as high on, but he is 6-6, 315 lbs already.

Dobbs will start at OT, people see 6-4 and automatically think he has to be a guard, but he has long arms and is a freak athlete, I think he's a tackle in college. Dobbs had about as dominant of a season as a tackle can have. Belleville played good teams, he gave up zero sacks, zero QB pressures and had something like 90 pancake blocks.

This O Line class is really important. I think Dobbs will be in the rotation next season. I think Samac and DuPlain could be rotation guys in 2020. Spencer Brown is the most intriguing kid, he's raw, but just an amazing athlete for a 300 pounder. He played OT and DT this year, at DT.

James Ohonba and Jacob Isaia from last year's class are close to rotational players right now. Would love to see a 2020 O line with the 350 lb Ohonba on it next to the 35 Jarvis, with Dobbs at probably 315 by the somewhere else.

The 2020 class has started. Devell Washington, 3 Star WR commits. 6-4,200 lbs. beat Michigan and Ohio State for him.

I hope it's pronounced "Devil" - been awhile since we've had a WR with a really cool name - maybe since Napoleon Outlaw ('92-'95). They could put his locker next to Jeslord's.

Western Michigan commit,. QB Payton Thorne is likely to be the QB for MSU this class. He's likely flipping today or tomorrow. Under the radar kid from Illinois who had a record setting senior season. Throws a good deep ball and has a Big Ten arm. 247 has him ranked an 87, high 3 star.

DT/DE Keith Randolf is also likely to be part of the class. 6-5, 270 lb athlete from Illinois who is a high level basketball player. Staff loves him and he is a top priority.

3 Star OH DT Cavon Butler is a Kentucky commit, but he's likely to flip if he visits MSU. Ohio State wanted him, but they're full now.

Thorne flipped, kid is a great talent, his ranking reflects that he's only 6-1-1/2. He comes from a long line of coaches and a great family. He's got a big time arm and he's reportedly a prodigy for football knowledge. Glad we took a QB.

Keith Randolph is likely to be part of the class.

Cavon Butler may stick with Kentucky, but an Ohio State writer just balled him to us.

And in a surprise, GA safety, Jordan Huff visited MSU this weekend. He was an MSU commit, but flipped to GA Tech because he wanted to be closer to home. GA Tech's coach is retiring so he's back to considering MSU.

Randolph, Butler, and Huff would bg a great end to the class.

Thorne flipped, kid is a great talent, his ranking reflects that he's only 6-1-1/2. He comes from a long line of coaches and a great family. He's got a big time arm and he's reportedly a prodigy for football knowledge. Glad we took a QB.

Keith Randolph is likely to be part of the class.

Cavon Butler may stick with Kentucky, but an Ohio State writer just balled him to us.

And in a surprise, GA safety, Jordan Huff visited MSU this weekend. He was an MSU commit, but flipped to GA Tech because he wanted to be closer to home. GA Tech's coach is retiring so he's back to considering MSU.

Randolph, Butler, and Huff would bg a great end to the class.

Well, another weak close by Dantonio and his staff. Didn't flip Huff, Randolph, or Butler. And worse than that, RB Aaron Young flipped to Rutgers to play with his brother. Not going to lie, Young might have been my favorite player in the class, he's the elusive and explosive speed back we needed. Young's film is as good as any RB's in the country. 4.4 speed with elite vision and cutting and really strong for his size. Sucks.

Alante Brown will not be signing today, has a class to finish up, but it sounds like it will be no problem. With Young gone from the class, Brown's speed is really needed.

We flipped a DT from Central Michigan. Also, JD Duplain will start out at DT.

OVerall it's a great class. But this staff sucks at closing and it was a bad signing day considering who we missed on and lost.

we're losing kids to Illinois 4-8 (2-7) and getting kids flipped by Rutgers 1-11 (0-9). That's pathetic.

Also, I don't consider giving a B1G offer to a kid headed to a MAC school to be a "flip". 247 ranks our class 28th overall which isn't horrible but it's not good wither. What's pathetic is we're ranked #7 in the Big Ten - we got out recruited by Nebraska and Purdue. Not the kind of the situation Dantonio should be in given his accomplishments - he hasn't capitalized on them at all.

Last edited:
I think that 2016 recruiting class forced Dantonio to go back to what he was doing before. Just recruiting his type of talent. Players usually off the grid a bit. I remember how excited everyone was over that ‘16 class and now we only have a handful of those 20 still with us.

Also, this is quite a class of OL that he’s brought in. Something severely needed

I think that 2016 recruiting class forced Dantonio to go back to what he was doing before. Just recruiting his type of talent. Players usually off the grid a bit. I remember how excited everyone was over that ‘16 class and now we only have a handful of those 20 still with us.

seems that could be the case but I don't think the diamonds in the ruff is a sustainable model for consistent success in the B1G. it's also likely that inconsist on-field performance and stubborn loyalty to horrible coordinators/assistants just makes it harder to maintain that level of recruiting.

Also, this is quite a class of OL that he’s brought in. Something severely needed

nothing seems to be more hit or miss than OL talent. I certainly hope these kids pan out - it's consistently been this teams biggest weakness including the years they were winning B1G championships.

Last edited:
Some really good news after that embarrassing loss.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/7010925/TreVon-Morgan

MSU commit. 2019 WR, Tre’Von Morgan. 6-6, 215 lb freak of nature. Watch his film. He’s unreal and the only reason he’s not going to OSU, Bama, or Clemson is he was hurt this Summer and didn’t camp. He worked really hard to become a football player was basketball was his first sport. Wow! Unbelievable to get a freak like this, he has it all.

Some really good news after that embarrassing loss.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/7010925/TreVon-Morgan

MSU commit. 2019 WR, Tre?Von Morgan. 6-6, 215 lb freak of nature. Watch his film. He?s unreal and the only reason he?s not going to OSU, Bama, or Clemson is he was hurt this Summer and didn?t camp. He worked really hard to become a football player was basketball was his first sport. Wow! Unbelievable to get a freak like this, he has it all.

Awesome, maybe we?ll recruit a QB who can throw past 8 yards without overthrowing the receiver by 4 yards.

I began asking myself this season, why would a single offensive recruit want to play here as currently constructed staff-wise? Same can be said for a defensive player, do you really want to bust your ass game in game out for 4 years to lose games like Monday?

Back