Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU @ Indiana (8pm)

O'Connor is far from perfect but to be fair Corley dropped a probable TD and our run game is fucking disgraceful. He should know to get rid of the ball though and not eat a sack in OT, that was inexcusable.

Also Michael Geiger has joined the ranks of John Goss for worst kicker ever at MSU. He should never kick another football in his time here.

One of the funniest or saddest things, depending on how you look at it, is that this clown O'Connor was named a captain. Cook was not...I complained a lot when cook would miss an easy pass, but damn I don't think I realized how good that guy was.

Lewerke era begins!

the loss last week helped me get over this one in a few minutes.

.....or maybe it's the 12 pack I drank

Deweaver any good?

Sucks that we lost, but I'm not that shocked to be honest. I don't think we'll get blown out by any team, I also know we won't blow out any team rest of the way either. 9-3 would be awesome. 8-4 is more likely at this point.

I wish it was as simple as changing QB's

Amazing what happened once we finally moved on from Maxwell. That same cast of WR's suddenly stopped dropping passes and the offense exploded. 4 WR's from that team are now in the NFL, but they couldn't catch anything that Maxwell threw.

Dantonio after the game "O'Connor is still MY guy." Sorry coach, but I think you're on your own with that one.

Dantonio after the game "O'Connor is still MY guy." Sorry coach, but I think you're on your own with that one.

Kinda threw Corley under the bus. Not sure why it easy for him to bury some guys, but never get on others. I'm not liking seeing that from him.

Kinda threw Corley under the bus. Not sure why it easy for him to bury some guys, but never get on others. I'm not liking seeing that from him.

Without Corley this team is hurting more than it is now. Without O'Connor we'd be the same, or better. You'd think that your 5th year Senior and captain QB could take some criticism.
I wonder if O'Connor had another excuse this week? Last week it was "I've never seen a rush like that before"

One of the funniest or saddest things, depending on how you look at it, is that this clown O'Connor was named a captain. Cook was not...I complained a lot when cook would miss an easy pass, but damn I don't think I realized how good that guy was.

Lewerke era begins!

I said the same thing after the Wisco game about the captaincy - I said it then and feel it even stronger now, maybe the captains shouldn't be based on player vote, or at least not entirely. Cook, a guy who gives his B1G Champ MVP to the o-line isn't captain material but a guy who takes back to back sacks in OT, can't find or hit a wide open receiver and blames his o-line for pressure when he was getting time is captain material?

Deweaver any good?

Sucks that we lost, but I'm not that shocked to be honest. I don't think we'll get blown out by any team, I also know we won't blow out any team rest of the way either. 9-3 would be awesome. 8-4 is more likely at this point.

OSU will destroy us - unless we play them in another hurricane they'll just rip our secondary to shreds.

Last edited:
I wish it was as simple as changing QB's

You're absolutely right - it's not. But it's time to start thinking about the future. It could make some difference this year but even if it's not an incremental improvement, next year matters more now than it did two weeks ago. We're just wasting time with O'Connor at this point - and potentially pissing away our future. Let Lewerke or DeWeaver go through their growing pains now instead of next year.

Agreed. Corley had one bad drop, he also had some acrobatic catches on bad throws. Also, Corley is a true freshman who deserves a little leeway. O'Connor is a 5th year senior, there's really no comparison as to who isn't living up to expectations by more. Nor is there any controversy as to who deserves more blame.

Maybe you guys will get your change for the sake of change, who knows? I wouldn't look at that game and say QB play was the reason we lost. TOC made some bad throws early, looked better as the game went on, had some huge plays wiped out by dumb penalties and drops, and then made big mistakes in OT. The first sack was a run pass option, no idea why he didn't hand it off, the second sack the receivers ran the wrong routes and that messed everything up.

We could change qb's, but to think that lewerke would come in there with that group and outperform TOC is naive. The unknown is undefeated, we know lewerke was a highly rated recruit and we've seen him throw a few oases in garbage time. Of course he looks better on the sideline than O'Connor does out there with a bad OL and inexperienced receivers, I don't think he'd do any better.

Last edited:
I would definitely look to make a change at kicker if we do have anyone available, not even sure what we have on the roster.

But it's not change for the sake of change. It's not like there aren't valid reasons for thinking O'Connor needs to be replaced. Accusing people you disagree with of not thinking it through is a lazy argument. Does it make sense to try to bring O'Connor along at this point? O'Connor clearly doesn't have a rapport with the wideouts. Wouldn't it be better to have DeWeaver or lewerke develop that relationship over the next three games or more? Forget about Indy, that's not happening. Right now it looks like TOC's ceiling is being a serviceable QB. What's the upside to MAYBE getting him there? It's too late for him and we get zero return in '17 and beyond from any progress O'Connor makes.

But it's not change for the sake of change. Does it make sense to try to bring O'Connor along at this point? Wouldn't it be better to have DeWeaver or lewerke develop a rapport with the wideouts over the next three games than O'Connor? What's the upside to getting O'Connor to be a serviceable QB? It's too late for him and we get zero return in '17 and beyond from any progress he makes.

This is exactly my point. If we keep O'Connor in the game and we finish the season 8-4 with a bowl win and then have to suffer through the same thing next season what's the point? I'd rather go 7-5 with a freshman QB that will be here for at least the next two years and could potentially lead us back to where we want to be. It's either back to back mediocre seasons with new QBs or a mediocre season with a freshman QB and a better season next year.

EDIT: and this doesn't go just for the QB, do the same thing for OL, DL, and the DBs.

Last edited:
I would definitely look to make a change at kicker if we do have anyone available, not even sure what we have on the roster.

I'd be willing to give the girl's soccer team student manager a try at this point.

Back