Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU vs Western game thread!!

First of Hello everyone,
I mostly read these forums, but after last nights game I couldn't resist pitching in my 2 cents.

I know everyone is quick to blame the receivers with the dropped passes and I'm not here to defend them in any way, but it's hard to catch a 4 yard pass when Maxwell is throwing it at 80 miles per hour. He has absolutely no touch on the ball and one game into the season I am already tired of seeing him play. I was actually excited to see Cook in the game until I saw some of his passes...how in the world was he invited to that Elite 11 or whatever the QB camp name is? Between the two I honestly don't know who is worse. I know that the coaches know much more than we do, but can we please get a whole half of JUST Damion Terry? If not a full half at least a quarter...if he goes out there and has a horrible game then you can redshirt him, but honestly he can't be worse than the 2 we are playing right now.

Also are slants and dump offs the only routes we run? 3rd and ten, lets throw a 4 yard slant and hope the receiver can make something happen. I watched South Carolina for 2 minutes and they scored a 60 yard TD pass, we haven't seen that happen here at MSU for over a year now.

Last edited:
The problem is WR coaching. Did not see one throw where the WR made an attempt to catch the ball with his hands rather than his body. I counted 8 drops, some people said only 6, but I counted the Arnett incompletion in the end zone where he failed to attack the ball and just waited for it to get into his body so the defender could bat it down as a drop.

The Bad News? This is a basic technique that you aren't going to learn in season, it's something you learn and perfect in the off season.

We will lose to South Florida next week if the offense doesn't play much better.
I don't know, I gotta believe it's much harder to catch an over amped Maxwell pass with just your hands at close distance.

Defense looked great from what i watched.. I win is a win right? who cares as long as no one important got hurt...I just hope Michigan wins today....I am sure MSU will get its QB problems solved by the time we face them...

Last edited:
The o line was terrible. Late in the 3rd qtr We had only 1 play over 15 yards against WMU and more than 1/3 of the yards on the TD drive came from WMU penalties. Maxwell was bad but he had nice touch on that 3rd down pass Burbridge dropped and a few others. Play calling sucked - there were at leat 3 called screens on 3rd down in the first half. And in the first half we were running langford up the middle and bullough outside (isnt that backwards?). But the line - my goodness, they couldn't get any run game going and they couldn't pass protect either. I agree, maxwell didn't use his feet to extend a single play - he panicked early but he panicked for a reason - a bunch of MAC kids were in his face.

Last edited:
Not saying the sky is falling just yet. We had a terrible opener on our way to an 11 win season against youngstown. Its early and it can take a few games to get rolling, just be happy that nd is week 4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

To put it in perspective, osu is ranked #2 and they look like dog shit. A couple of lucky breaks went their way, otherwise this would be a nail biter

Not saying the sky is falling just yet. We had a terrible opener on our way to an 11 win season against youngstown. Its early and it can take a few games to get rolling, just be happy that nd is week 4.

This game was NOTHING like that Youngstown St game. The offense looked good for an opener in that game. Not sure you could pick two worse games to compare.

I just skimmed through most of the game, at least the parts that weren't blacked out due to the monsoon killing my dish signal. Our WR's get very little seperation on alomost every passing down. Maxwell is more accurate than cook but has NO TOUCH. Fastballs everytime he throws. We are in a very bad situation. We have WR's that cant get open and drop the ball. One QB who throws way to hard, another who looks like a INT train wreck ready to happen.

Samuels sucks. Hasn't taught the WR's a thing. Bolman has a very vanilla offense, similar to our shit show last year. The absolute truth is, nothing has changed, and probably won't. We have the same WR's as last year, same QB's, and same offensive game plan. I know it's only the first game but I think last night was a sign of things to come. I sure as fuck hope not, but last night did not leave me optimistic for S. Florida. As it stands right now, I think we lose that game.

What do we do to fix this ? Hope for the best ? What if Terry goes in there and the same thing happens ? Sure, it's game experience, but it could also destroy his confidence. I would like to see him if this shit continues, but after thinking about it, not sure if it would be the best thing to do.

After last night I have gone from the glass is half full to half empty. Personally, if we have another year of this crap, some coaching decisions need to be made. I'm not talking about coach D, but every offensive coach we have, especially WR coach, will need to be reevaluated and changes will need to be made.

End rant.

Last edited:
To put it in perspective, osu is ranked #2 and they look like dog shit. A couple of lucky breaks went their way, otherwise this would be a nail biter

The only thing that puts in perspective is OSU's grossly undeserved #2 ranking. By th way they had 460 yards of total offense and put 40 on the board when they look like dog shit against a MAC team. If we can't block a bunch of MAC kids, it's a problem. The sky may not have fallen but it's hang in' by a thread.

I just skimmed through most of the game, at least the parts that weren't blacked out due to the monsoon killing my dish signal. Our WR's get very little seperation on alomost every passing down. Maxwell is more accurate than cook but has NO TOUCH. Fastballs everytime he throws. We are in a very bad situation. We have WR's that cant get open and drop the ball. One QB who throws way to hard, another who looks like a INT train wreck ready to happen.

Samuels sucks. Hasn't taught the WR's a thing. Bolman has a very vanilla offense, similar to our shit show last year. The absolute truth is, nothing has changed, and probably won't. We have the same WR's as last year, same QB's, and same offensive game plan. I know it's only the first game but I think last night was a sign of things to come. I sure as fuck hope not, but last night did not leave me anxious for S. Florida. As it stands right now, I think we lose that game.

What do we do to fix this ? Hope for the best ? What if Terry goes in there and the same thing happens ? Sure, it's game experience, but it could also destroy his confidence. I would like to see him if this shit continues, but after thinking about it, not sure if it would be the best thing to do.

After last night I have gone from the glass is half full to half empty. Personally, if we have another year of this crap, some coaching decisions need to be made. I'm not talking about coach D, but every offensive coach we have, especially WR coach, will need to be reevaluated and changes will need to be made.

End rant.

Why does everyone give the offensive line a free pass? They are at the heart of these problems. Not saying your points aren't valid but we should have been able to resort to the run when QBs/WRs weren't connecting (partly because there was NO time) and gotten 4 yes per play but clearly we couldn't do that

Why does everyone give the offensive line a free pass? They are at the heart of these problems. Not saying your points aren't valid but we should have been able to resort to the run when QBs/WRs weren't connecting (partly because there was NO time) and gotten 4 yes per play but clearly we couldn't do that

No free pass from me. I need to see us run the ball more to feel them out. They seemed to protect our QB's last night. They didn't open up big holes, but we do have RB's that are fairly new to their duties, maybe they weren't going where they were supposed to. Just need to see them in action a little more.

On a good note. S.Florida is down 23-7 to Mcneese St in the 2nd. Maybe I'll change my prediction for next week, lol.

Hard to bitch about the run blocking when we kept throwing in the first half. Also, we averaged over 4 yards per rush for the game. Not saying the line was stellar, but I wouldn't put them at the top of the list of problems.

Bottom line, for me anyways, is that I hope they give Terry some drives the next 2 games. If they don't like what they see then redshirt him. We know what we have in Maxwell. Yesterday was EXACTLY the same as all last year. We HAVE to put the guy on the field that gives us the best shot at moving the ball and if it's the kid then fuck the redshirt. This defense is too good to possibly throw away a season because you want to have a qb an extra year.

This game was NOTHING like that Youngstown St game. The offense looked good for an opener in that game. Not sure you could pick two worse games to compare.

Just saying we've had lackluster openers and had good seasons. Also, ysu was fcs and we trailed in that game

Maxwell was at least accurate, cook overthrew a bunch of open receivers. I lay the blame on fowler, burbridge and the rest of them.

Just saying we've had lackluster openers and had good seasons. Also, ysu was fcs and we trailed in that game

No, we never trailed in that game.

Youngstown St had the ball for over 11 mins in the first qtr(without scoring) so we couldn't get the offense on the field.

We had 9 drives that game

Punt-3 plays 7 yards
Touchdown-9 plays 80 yards
Touchdown-4 plays 74 yards
Punt-5 plays 19 yards
Punt-3 plays -3 yards
Touchdown-11 plays 75 yards
missed fg-14 plays 80 yards
Touchdown-3 plays 17 yards
end of game-6 plays 38 yards

That's good offensive production

Yesterday we had 15 drives and punted on 11 of them.

Maxwell was at least accurate, cook overthrew a bunch of open receivers. I lay the blame on fowler, burbridge and the rest of them.

Do you really think that EVERY wr has stone hands? Maybe Maxwell just doesn't throw a very catchable ball.

No, we never trailed in that game.

Youngstown St had the ball for over 11 mins in the first qtr(without scoring) so we couldn't get the offense on the field.

We had 9 drives that game

Punt-3 plays 7 yards
Touchdown-9 plays 80 yards
Touchdown-4 plays 74 yards
Punt-5 plays 19 yards
Punt-3 plays -3 yards
Touchdown-11 plays 75 yards
missed fg-14 plays 80 yards
Touchdown-3 plays 17 yards
end of game-6 plays 38 yards

That's good offensive production

Yesterday we had 15 drives and punted on 11 of them.

Ok, it was a night game opener where we played like shit against a bad team. It wasnt identical but we had a good year. Im not going to piss my pants about drops after one game. It does suck that jarius Jones and drummond showed better hands than fowler and burbridge but its early. Im not writing this year off

Ok, it was a night game opener where we played like shit against a bad team. It wasnt identical but we had a good year. Im not going to piss my pants about drops after one game. It does suck that jarius Jones and drummond showed better hands than fowler and burbridge but its early. Im not writing this year off

Neither am I. I'd just like to see Terry get a shot if things don't improve with the offense. Just a few series and see what the kid has. If he's overwhelmed, pull him and redshirt him. I've seen a whole season of Maxwell and yesterday was no different.

Back