Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Name, Image, and Likeness

Uh, yeah. Like getting some assistance from someone more qualified. Better to have no logo than a bad one.

hiring a competent graphic designer costs $$$... give it some time.

expect the first iterations to be a little rough until the endorsement money rolls in and they can bring in a pro.

they're not in high school anymore. they can't just go beat up other students for cash, or break into their dorm rooms and nab laptops and iphones.

that was still frowned upon during the "good old days," and now that the players have gained control of their names and likenesses, I expect their ADs and coaches will be less understanding of their off-field antics (out of spite)

hiring a competent graphic designer costs $$$... give it some time.

To make a few logo treatments can be executed fairly inexpensively and quickly, if the right person is approached. There's not a need to hire Satchi & Satchi, Deutsch, or BBDO. Just some young and hungry freelancer would certainly want the work.

MDen is apparently signing contracts with players to allow them to sell jerseys with their names on the back (link):

So far, 50 players on this year?s roster have signed deals and are available for order. [The M Den owner Scott] Hirth said The M Den was assisted by Valiant Management, a division of the Valiant brand, a line that was offered exclusively at The M Den. When name, image and likeness began, owners Jared and John Wangler, the latter of whom a quarterback at Michigan from 1976-80, sprung into action and helped The M Den aggregate the approval of players for licensing.​

Hmmm... 3rd parties getting into the game. Wonder how much each player gets and whether the Wanglers would keep talking to any player who says "Please send the contract to my attorney for review"???

I'm sure they'd hear "COME ON we're all buddies here... no one needs an attorney..."

I had no idea the Wanglers owned Valiant brand. a couple years ago, I ordered a Valiant brand retro-track jacket from the M-Den. The sizing was so far off, I had to send it back, and told them just to give me a refund.

The fact that football players made it explains a lot.

Good luck to them though (as fellow Wolverines). Hope they've gotten the kinks worked out

Will players who wore a selected number also be able to market their name on the back and gain residual income? Why should only current players benefit from the numbers they currently wear? After all, Brandon un-vaulted retired numbers for profit.

Shouldn't Chris Floyd and Rick Leach be able to market #7? Or Tai Streets and John Anderson #86? Or John Gabler and Jim Pickens #18? Or Harlan Huckelby and Jon Vaughn #25? Or Steve Everitt #51? Or Don Dufek and Thom Darden #35? Or Anthony Carter, David Terrell, Braylon Edwards, and Gregg Willner #1? Or Butch Woolfolk #24? Or Erik Anderson #37? Or Eric Kattus #81? Or Jim Harbaugh #4? Or Mark Elzinga and Mike Jolly #16? Or Calvin O' Neal #96? Curtis Greer #95? John Wangler, Tate Forcier, and Gordon Bell #5? Tony Boles and Billy Taylor #42? Charles Woodson, Shea Patterson, and Chris Grieves #2? Ed Shuttlesworth #31? Dennis Franklin, Michael Taylor, and Mercury Hayes #9? Elvis Grbac, Steve Breaston or Bo Rather #15? Tom Brady, Todd Collins, and Jeremy Gallon #10? Chuck Heater #44? Yale Van Dyne #34? Anthony Thomas #32?

Do you see where I'm going with this? (all names and numbers recalled from memory)

Tripp Wellbourne #3? Jerry Zuver and Chris Howard #8? Dwight Hicks #17 ... etc ... Scott Dreisbach, Rickey Powers and Chris Zurbrugg #12? Tyrone Wheatley #6? Russell Davis #33? Ron Johnson #40? Mike Kenn #78? Tom Drake #28? Rob Lytle (estate) and Randy Logan #41? Barry Pierson and Marcus Ray#29?

Last edited:
I see where you're going with it, but I don't think it would be that much of a problem. MDen could sell both #7 Leach & Henne jerseys. Why not? I assume the license from the University is either silent on this or allows it. if it doesn't the University is going to get sued by some current or former players now that the court held they have a right to their name and likeness.

I think it could get more difficult if, say, Tom Brady was going to negotiate with them and say if they want to sell his jersey, he can be the ONLY #10. Then maybe the terms of the license from the university would illuminate things... if not, if the terms are silent, I am sure attorneys can figure this out. IP law has addressed way more complicated issues, like who owns what when proprietary software code gets mixed with open source software (which gets brutally complicated).

I don't think this is going to be anywhere close to that

Last edited by a moderator:
I see where you're going with it, but I don't think it would be that much of a problem. MDen could sell both #7 Leach & Henne jerseys. Why not? I assume the license from the University is either silent on this or allows it. if it doesn't the University is going to get sued by some current or former players now that the court held they have a right to their name and likeness.

I think it could get more difficult if, say, Tom Brady was going to negotiate with them and say if they want to sell his jersey, he can be the ONLY #10. Then maybe the terms of the license from the university would illuminate things... if not, if the terms are silent, I am sure attorneys can figure this out. IP law has addressed way more complicated issues, like who owns what when proprietary software code gets mixed with open source software (which gets brutally complicated).

I don't think this is going to be anywhere close to that

If Brady pulls a d==k move like that, I hope that no one buys his jersey in response. Or does so and rips the name off the back. Or buys an MSU jersey with his name on it.

If Brady pulls a d==k move like that, I hope that no one buys his jersey in response. Or does so and rips the name off the back. Or buys an MSU jersey with his name on it.

I don't think he would. I do believe there really is something to the "Michigan Football is a family" ethic, going back even before Bo's tenure. I know I shit on football a lot, but that at least is meaningful, and I don't see anyone pulling a move like that.

The players are getting access to money... the University (and all universities), and the NCAA are the ones losing out, so I expect to see more nasty behavior from them.

Then again they might just shrug and say they "had a good run," and realize the jig is up.

I don't think he would. I do believe there really is something to the "Michigan Football is a family" ethic, going back even before Bo's tenure. I know I shit on football a lot, but that at least is meaningful, and I don't see anyone pulling a move like that.

The players are getting access to money... the University (and all universities), and the NCAA are the ones losing out, so I expect to see more nasty behavior from them.

Then again they might just shrug and say they "had a good run," and realize the jig is up.

Well, Bubba-Jake?s Used Car Emporium and Gentlemen?s Club of Greater Columbus still ?can?t? offer #1 QB in the nation Johnny Utah a Scarlet-and-Grey Bugatti Divo with Pterodactyl-Skin Seats (with acknowledgement to Ezra Dyer) and a moonroof, augmented with a $100,000 (incentive) bonus to ?choose? The Ohio State Football Cooperative and never attend class.

That?s still illegal and I am certain that the NCAA will be most vigilant in preventing such abuses, and it apparently still has some relevance in the college football landscape.

Well, Bubba-Jake?s Used Car Emporium and Gentlemen?s Club of Greater Columbus still ?can?t? offer #1 QB in the nation Johnny Utah a Scarlet-and-Grey Bugatti Divo with Pterodactyl-Skin Seats (with acknowledgement to Ezra Dyer) and a moonroof, augmented with a $100,000 (incentive) bonus to ?choose? The Ohio State Football Cooperative and never attend class.

That?s still illegal and I am certain that the NCAA will be most vigilant in preventing such abuses, and it apparently still has some relevance in the college football landscape.

Too bad about that kid?s injury. He was on a path to light the NFL up.

Wonder what he ended up doing?

Too bad about that kid?s injury. He was on a path to light the NFL up.

Wonder what he ended up doing?

I think he ended up being a gofer for the F.B.I.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Nick Saban said his potential starting QB, who has yet to play a game, has signed close to a million dollars in endorsement deals already (link).

Jerk Ass Saban finds a way to toot his own horn:
While Saban wouldn't divulge the specifics of the deals Young has signed, Saban said the total compensation is "almost seven figures."

"And it's like, the guy hasn't even played yet," Saban said, according to The Athletic. "But that's because of our brand."​

I think we're just see players get paid through absurd endorsement deals, instead of salaries.

which might be better than paying them cash under the table, but still shady... it's like this sport just can't help itself, it always has to find a way to do things crooked.

I assume most of these endorsement deals will just involve the players tweeting a couple times about a business, probably in violation of the FTC's product endorsement guidelines, which may actually start to get enforced again under Biden.

Who pays when a player gets a $50,000 fine from the FTC for failing to disclose his tweet promoting Slick Jimmy's Columbus Area Chrysler Dodge Dealership is a paid ad?

Nick Saban said his potential starting QB, who has yet to play a game, has signed close to a million dollars in endorsement deals already (link).

Jerk Ass Saban finds a way to toot his own horn:
While Saban wouldn't divulge the specifics of the deals Young has signed, Saban said the total compensation is "almost seven figures."

"And it's like, the guy hasn't even played yet," Saban said, according to The Athletic. "But that's because of our brand."​

How many stories are we going to read about these players being broke in 10 years? Several, I expect.

"And it's like, the guy hasn't even played yet," Saban said, according to The Athletic. "But that's because of our brand."[/INDENT]

probably the truth. The biggest and most successful programs will probably get the most endorsements.

I have heard that this NIL will be a big deal for prominent female athletes since they don't have any sort of professional athletic career after college. Not making 7 figures but some in the 5 figure area.

probably the truth. The biggest and most successful programs will probably get the most endorsements.

I have heard that this NIL will be a big deal for prominent female athletes since they don't have any sort of professional athletic career after college. Not making 7 figures but some in the 5 figure area.

uh oh! that means even more guys will get sex change operations to compete as females!!! OH NOES

How many stories are we going to read about these players being broke in 10 years? Several, I expect.

I don't know. Do you think there are more broke college players now, or there will be after they have a chance to earn more money while they're in college?

The number of stories we read about it may not reflect reality; the NCAA & college ADs who fought the decision, and have established relationships with the reporters and newsrooms that cover them will certainly feed their contacts as many of the negatives that they can from this.

Of course, opportunists like Saban already knew how to take advantage of it...

I don't know. Do you think there are more broke college players now, or there will be after they have a chance to earn more money while they're in college?

The number of stories we read about it may not reflect reality; the NCAA & college ADs who fought the decision, and have established relationships with the reporters and newsrooms that cover them will certainly feed their contacts as many of the negatives that they can from this.

Of course, opportunists like Saban already knew how to take advantage of it...

No implication that these players shouldn?t be compensated in this way. Or that they can?t ?deal with sudden wealth? ? just a question.

I'm all for required financial literacy courses as a baseline. But then, seeing how we've got the top business school, maybe Michigan can do more. B-schools have startup groups that are more than students and professors. Investors are involved too, on campus.

Back