Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

*Official UM Hoops Thread*

UM ranked #14 in ESPN's team rankings for 2012. Big year so far for the Big Ten, that only puts UM #4 in the league.

Haven't thought much about the basketball team lately... but reading this gets me very excited about hoops season.

New 2013 Rivals rankings updated on page 1. Highlights are Donnal now ranked, at 124, and Ivin moving up from 97 to 54.

Update from Scout on McGary's visit. No details, but a good vibe......

His Michigan official visit ended at noon today. It was a great visit, put U-M in as strong a position as possible. Things really went well, couldn't have gone better.

That said, this is just the beginning of a visit-whirlwind for him this week (with his coach en-tow), before his school starts.

And the competition is a leeeetle tough.

He makes an unofficial visit to Kentucky tomorrow, then Tues-Wed he makes his official visit to UNC, followed by a Thu-Sat official to (possible co-fav with U-M?) Duke.

After his visits are finished, he should decide within about a month.

Needless to say (needless), this is a huge deal for Michigan.

More McGary info...

I'll have much more on Mitch McGary later in the week, but here's a brief excerpt from my conversation with his AAU coach and trusted family advisor Wayne Brumm yesterday. Wayne wasn't on the visit with Mitch, but he'll have a huge say in the young man's ultimate decision. And as I've said before, it is EXTREMELY clear that Michigan is in this one strong.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sam Webb: I still come across people that look at the other schools on Mitch's list... Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Maryland and Florida... and they say that those teams have won national titles in the last ten or so years... and then you have Michigan, a school that is trying to rebound to that point. They ask, 'what is it about Michigan that put them in that group with those schools?'

Wayne Brumm:

McGary is the guy wearing the blue shirt, with yellow towel in hand...

brand new scout article on mcgary....

Non-Stop Intensity
This story originally published on InsideCarolina.com

By Matt Morgan
Inside Carolina
Posted Sep 6, 2011

| More

Brewster Academy coach Jason Smith calls the game cutthroat. Two teams of four play half court as a third team waits on the baseline to sub in after each point. There are no fouls. Intensity is high. Play is physical. This is Mitch McGary

Bet he doesnt have that much fun at a Duke/Carolina football game.

I was just about to say...

From what I read over on mgoblog, Mitch had an amazing time Saturday....even with the rain.

Guarantee he doesn't visit another football atmosphere that can even compete with Michigan's. Not like that matters a whole lot since he plays basketball but my god, how could he not notice the fan support at "Michigan".

They just released the Big Ten nationally televised games during confrence play. Looks like we have 11 either on the ESPN family of networks or CBS. Pretty cool.

Wow, nice. Nationally televised game pretty much every week after the new year.

Mitch, what are you waiting for?

The 2012 class is ranked 8th nationally by Rivals...wonder if it'd shoot up to #1 with a McGary commitment.

(also, fixed the mitch richmond link in the big post...damn, Run TMC were sweet)

All McGary, all the time. Sam Webb, from detnews...

John Beilein's system could be deciding factor for 5-star Mitch McGary

The hottest basketball recruit in the country over the past six months has undoubtedly been Wolfeboro (N.H.) Brewster Academy big man Mitch McGary. In that time the 6-11, 250-pound Chesterton, Ind., native ascended from his place in the lower rung of the top 100, to his current ranking as the No. 1 center in the country, and the No. 2 player overall.

"I saw Mitch quite a bit as a sophomore and I would have never guessed he was going to be this good," said Scout.com national recruiting analyst Evan Daniels. "It has been a heck of a rise for him. His whole game has changed. He has really developed his skill set. He plays so hard and brings so much energy to the table that he has been able to be really effective. It has been a pretty unbelievable rise for him. He is a terrific player that continues to get better."

"We always knew Mitch was good

I hope McGary commits. It would be great to get him for a year.

Starting to get excited about bball a little, but with football just starting, its hard.

I'm planning on at least going to the OH* game and that was before they announced that it was going to be the gameday game that week.

Back