Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Quinn in as GM

I dont think any announcement on Caldwell will be made until Monday at the earliest, In my opinion...

I keep on refreshing ESPN website to see if there's any news on Caldwell. It's driving me crazy a decision hasn't been made.
It will be next week some time, probably by Tuesday afternoon. I would think he would be meeting with the staff on Monday.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You mean pm his girlfriend.

Wasnt he actually right about something crazy one year and we were all like, "wtf."

Hahaha....I don't remember that...I do remember him inviting all of us to a luxury box though!

I dont think any announcement on Caldwell will be made until Monday at the earliest, In my opinion...

From what I understand if they want to hire a HC that is currently in the playoffs they need to be interviewed by tomorrow or wait until after their season is over.

Has it been finalized yet? Gase already has a scheduled press conference in 45 minutes.

From what I understand if they want to hire a HC that is currently in the playoffs they need to be interviewed by tomorrow or wait until after their season is over.

oh really? I didnt know that - but still, I think they wait until Monday...just a hunch tho - I have nothing support my claim haha

oh really? I didnt know that - but still, I think they wait until Monday...just a hunch tho - I have nothing support my claim haha

I think I heard something about it when SF wanted to talk with Hue Jackson. I could have misunderstood.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...ecision-looms-new-gm-and-coach-meet/78560936/

Caldwell decision looms; new GM and coach to meet

Dave Birkett, Detroit Free Press 3:40 p.m. EST January 9, 2016

Jim Caldwell is on his way back into town to meet new general manager Bob Quinn, and the Detroit Lions coach should learn his fate with the team sometime this weekend.

John Wooten, chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance that promotes diversity in NFL hiring, said Caldwell deserves to return for a third season as Lions coach even though it appears Quinn wants to move in a different direction.

Quinn spent the past 16 years in a variety of roles with the New England Patriots and has deep ties to two of the top head-coaching candidates on the market, Patriots coordinators Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia.

McDaniels, in particular, is believed to be a favorite of Quinn's, though the Lions won't be able to interview him after Sunday's wild-card games until the Patriots are done with the playoffs.

Caldwell gave his staff off until the Senior Bowl later this month, and left town himself earlier this week.

He and Quinn are expected to meet later tonight or on Sunday.

"He realizes that he needs to get back there because they need to sit down and go through what you need to do in terms of, you’ve got a new guy now, therefore this guy’s in charge and therefore you need to sit down with him face to face and go over it," Wooten said. "And he’s prepared to do that and he will do that. I think that he knows that he should stand on his record. His record is good enough that they’re moving on forward ... that he has them on the right track."

Caldwell, who has two years left on the contract he signed in January of 2014, has been in a state of limbo since the Lions ended their season last Sunday with a 24-20 win over the Chicago Bears.

The Lions were one of the most disappointing teams in the NFL this year, starting 1-7 and losing to the Green Bay Packers on a Hail Mary in early December. But they closed the season with six wins in their final eight games and many inside the organization felt Caldwell had done enough to keep his job.

Lions players have campaigned for Caldwell’s return in recent weeks, with everyone from quarterback Matthew Stafford to receiver Calvin Johnson saying they wanted their coach back.

“Caldwell is hands down probably the best coach that I’ve been a part of, been under,” cornerback Rashean Mathis said Monday. “And I’m sure a lot of guys in this locker room feel that way and I’m sure a lot of guys in this locker room will look forward to playing with him again.”

Wooten said Caldwell deserves to return for a third season with the Lions based on the team's accomplishments on the field.

“The thing that I want to point out is that, yes, I am the chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance and it is my job to work for minorities and opportunities for minority inclusion and so forth," Wooten said. "But it’s not even about that. It is about a man who has done the job when he was fighting short-handed with a short stick because of the players, excellent players, being taken away from him, first-round draft choices going out the door."

Caldwell is 18-15 in two seasons with the Lions, including a first-round playoff loss to the Dallas Cowboys last year.

The Lions went 11-5 in Caldwell's first season as head coach, tied for the second-best record in franchise history, then slumped at the start of this season after losing star defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh in free agency and top linebacker DeAndre Levy to injury.

The Lions blew a 21-3 lead in their season-opening loss to the San Diego Chargers, then dropped their next four games. They got blown out by the Arizona Cardinals and Kansas City Chiefs in the first half of the season, and Caldwell was encouraged to fire three offensive assistants, including coordinator Joe Lombardi, during the Lions' league-worst start.

"He understood that he needed to make changes or he could make changes, and he did that with the staff and so forth," Wooten said. "It’s not easy to fire guys period, but when you fire them in the middle of the season. that’s a very difficult thing. Yet he stood strong and did what he needed to do to try to fit this ball club back, and he in fact did it. He did it. They came back."

Martin Mayhew and Tom Lewand lost their jobs as GM and president in early November, but as the Lions put together two separate three-game winning streaks, momentum appeared to be building for Caldwell's return.

Lions owner Martha Ford and about a dozen of her family members gave Caldwell an ovation after the Lions’ 45-14 Thanksgiving win over the Philadelphia Eagles, and the team closed the season on a three-game winning streak.

Quinn, who was announced Friday as GM, has total control of the Lions' football operations - and the feeling now is that Caldwell could be down to his final days as coach.

Wooten pointed to Stafford's play in the second half of the season, after Jim Bob Cooter took over as offensive coordinator, and impact Caldwell has had on players as reasons why Caldwell should return.

With Cooter in charge of the offense, Stafford closed the season with one of the best stretches of his career. He threw 17 touchdown passes and just one interception in the Lions’ final seven games.

Asked about Caldwell's future last week, Stafford said he “absolutely” would speak on Caldwell’s behalf if the new general manager asked for his opinion.

“I think he’s a great coach and a really good man,” Stafford said. “You don’t go 1-7 and come back and go 6-2 if your team doesn’t believe in your coach, so we definitely do.”​

I see we are all changing our Avatars in solidarity.

I think it's a mistake if they new GM lets Caldwell go while there is still a half way decent chance they can rebound next year with the schemes they ended with, that and I really don't want McDaniels he's over rated IMO..Jim Bob at least needs to stay, my fear is that if Caldwell goes so does he, and that won't work, that means new schemes on both sides of the ball as Austin is likely going to land a HC job somewhere, Calvin retires and 2016 is already lost as a rebuild year before it even starts

Of course since we are talking about the lions...thats exactly what will happen, and the never ending shceme change beat goes on...and on....and on..hell if that's how it goes down might just as well trade stafford to the Cowboys for thier first rounder and go into full blown mode, then do it all over again in another 6-7 years..again

Last edited:
I think it's a mistake if they new GM lets Caldwell go, I really don't want McDaniels he's over rated IMO

Bad idea to change out a HC a year later. Which is what could happen if Caldwell stays. Plus, I'm not sure how he's overrated when he's only been a HC for a short time. Not like Caldwell had a promising resume before he came here. And McDaniel's isn't a guarantee to come here..

Last edited:
On a side note I did just purchase 3 powerball tickets. So I might be getting paid. I won't forget you.

My first tickets ever..

Last edited:
On a side note I did just purchase 3 powerball tickets. So I might be getting paid. I won't forget you.

My first tickets ever..

Ha! got four tickets for tonight myself and only second time I've played it for me, played it weds to, two tickets got ZERO numbers on either. Lol I have a feeling there will be multiple winners tonight..

Last edited:
Bad idea to change out a HC a year later. Which is what could happen if Caldwell stays. Plus, I'm not sure how he's overrated when he's only been a HC for a short time. Not like Caldwell had a promising resume before he came here. And McDaniel's isn't a guarantee to come here..

Idk Mitch I just don't like McDaniels for some reason not sure why...just have a bad feeling he'd be horrible here, would like to beleive cooter stays at least..did McDaniels and cooter know each other in Denver?

Last edited:
Idk Mitch I just don't like McDaniels for some reason not sure why...just have a bad feeling he'd be horrible here, would like to beleive cooter stays at least..did McDaniels and cooter know each other in Denver?

I don't know about that. It's pretty obvious I'm not a Caldwell fan. Personal opinion, I want Hue Jackson.

Normally with a new GM coming in I'd say there is a 99% chance the current coach gets fired. I just don't know this time. I think he has a 30% chance of staying. I honestly won't care either way if they keep Caldwell or not. I lean towards getting rid of him because I don't see anything special about him. But the players clearly have never quit on him.

Back