Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

RB situation

They make them not untouchable so they can't be stashed for years. They want the player to have every opportunity to succeed. Having a good camp, it'd be a huge gamble.

Powerball offers better odds than the odds on the Lions being able to stash him on the PS and no other team snatching him up.

Caldwell has a tough decision. Winn is very good on special teams and that is an important part of the game.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Caldwell has a tough decision. Winn is very good on special teams and that is an important part of the game.

But ZZ is 5x the RB Winn is. And Zenner is playing special teams. Has he had any tackles?

Pass protection and special teams will determine who the 4th RB is.

What some are missing is that he isn't the #4 RB at this point. He's jumped Bell due to Bell's injury and Riddick isn't as good of a RB. So the pass pro and special teams pieces are more on those 2 than on Nyquil.

Winn isn't even remotely in the discussion, other than potentially having Bell on IR and Winn replace him on the roster until he's back. Keeping Winn over Nyquil is flat out not going to happen.

If they lose Zenner, I'll be upset. He's been incredible.

I would be surprised if we don't get a good look at Zener on special teams this week. They want to keep the kid, but he's going to have to play ST to make it happen. If he can come in this week and show that he's got ST value, he's the guy that stays over Winn.

I would be surprised if we don't get a good look at Zener on special teams this week. They want to keep the kid, but he's going to have to play ST to make it happen. If he can come in this week and show that he's got ST value, he's the guy that stays over Winn.

At this point, I would be absolutely SHOCKED of they kept Winn over Zenner. He clearly is higher on the depth chart at this point.

I would love to see Zenner make it but not at the expense of a weaker special teams. This team has struggled in that department. I can't see them keeping 5 RBs. If they go with 2 QBs, they will fill that roster spot with OL or DL. Zenner needs to show up on ST this week.

Last edited:
Maybe this is me just being the natural skeptic that I am about the Detroit Lions, but I kinda laughed at someone the other day who said the RB situation is the best it's been in decades. At the end of the day, the team is still hanging their hat on a guy who has yet to step foot in a real game, two guys who are good backup options, and an undrafted preseason sensation.

Maybe this is me just being the natural skeptic that I am about the Detroit Lions, but I kinda laughed at someone the other day who said the RB situation is the best it's been in decades. At the end of the day, the team is still hanging their hat on a guy who has yet to step foot in a real game, two guys who are good backup options, and an undrafted preseason sensation.

well...even with the question marks it is probably as good of a situation since Barry retired after the 1998 season! That tells a lot about the Lion's backfield in the past 16 years!

Yeah you may be right. Olandis Gary, James Stewart, there's been some really average/bad ones through the pipes.

But still, I don't think this situation is as great as some think it is. A ton of unknowns/good showings in meaningless football.

Keep two QBs and keep 5 RBs and one fullback.

I'm not particularly found of Winn, but I agree with this. No need to keep Moore, unless it's on the practice squad. Although I'm not sure on the rules so not 100% sure if he would qualify.
Regardless stash some QB on the practice squad. No need to carry 3 QBs on the 53 man team.

Not really related..but I wonder who our emergency QB would be.

Judging by some of the fans around here, Zenner would be 2nd string QB. Guy fell from heaven on the wings of angels.

What some are missing is that he isn't the #4 RB at this point. He's jumped Bell due to Bell's injury and Riddick isn't as good of a RB. So the pass pro and special teams pieces are more on those 2 than on Nyquil.

Winn isn't even remotely in the discussion, other than potentially having Bell on IR and Winn replace him on the roster until he's back. Keeping Winn over Nyquil is flat out not going to happen.

Bell is off PUP, Zenner isn't starting over him.

But the hype for our running game has been huge. When's the last time that happened? Abdullah is a highlight reel waiting to happen, Zenner is a potential phenom, Bell is a bluecollar kid and Riddick is a pass catching threat out of the backfield. The hype is there.

Last edited:
Judging by some of the fans around here, Zenner would be 2nd string QB. Guy fell from heaven on the wings of angels.

Who's saying that? Lol. Nothing positive can come out of anybody's mouth without you guys stepping on it's throat eh? Zenner is a FOURTH string RB who could eventually work his way up the ranks. He's a big, smart, quick back that is excellent insurance for the bandaids or potential bandaids at the RB position.

I'm not particularly found of Winn, but I agree with this. No need to keep Moore, unless it's on the practice squad. Although I'm not sure on the rules so not 100% sure if he would qualify.
Regardless stash some QB on the practice squad. No need to carry 3 QBs on the 53 man team.

Not really related..but I wonder who our emergency QB would be.
It is rare anyone is fond of a solid special team guy. Winn made this team because of his skill on special teams and there is something to be said for that. It takes a special person to make an NFL team when his skill level is below average at his drafted position. He had to do double the effort and work to get noticed and he did that. Trust me, the coaches don't want to lose him because of what he gives you on a limited but critical basis. Zenner is not in the same league as him on special teams. I would hate to see him make the team based on public opinion. He looks great against vanilla defenses but that doesn't necessarily translate regular season. It's a great story but media is going to crush Caldwell if he is cut.

Back