Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rome trip

Michlady

leave Saturday, paid for by anonymous donor who will fund future trips too. Had to get everyone passport and Managed to collect all the documents in a few days

150 traveling, including staff. spouses who may travel are paid with personal funds

Entire team incl. non scholarship players

3 practices, visit to refugee camp, US military there, and of course an audience with Pope

About 30 staying for study abroad programs or overseas internships, Aa part of regular university study abroad programs

Will be playing near the coliseum

Well have daily film date between periscope online, as well as ESPN on Big Ten network

In order to handle restaurants will break up into six groups since you can't go into a room restaurant with 150 in one group

Last edited:
From Angelique Twitter

Oh to be a college kid...study abroad plans: Jared Wangler to Iceland, Bredeson to Barcelona, Moores to Brussels, Washington Buenos Aires,

this is a pretty cool story.

I like that they're playing near the Colisseum. I'm sure Harbaugh gets a kick out of that too.

I regret never doing a study abroad semester. Was too complicated to manage that, while having to work my way through school.

In order to handle restaurants will break up into six groups since you can't go into a room restaurant with 150 in one group

Don't the College of Cardinals all eat together in one place when the pope dies? Or also retires, I guess we should save these days.

I think there's more than 150 of them.

Are there even six good restaurants in Rome at all?

I don't really care. It's something to do. I'd probably check out the vatican if I went to Rome too. Plus this pope is better than the last pope.

I thought you would be outraged that they are going to see the pope ;)

No matter what a person might think of the Pope or the Vatican or Catholicism, I think on this board we can agree that this is a good meeting because it has the potential to bother some Notre Dame fans that it's us and not them.

I can't find anything saying anyone will meet the Pope, just that they want to. Granted, I'm out of the loop right now.

I read that they are going to go and see him make a speech. That they will be in the audience and see him, not that they are going to get to meet him.

He's just a person.

I read that they are going to go and see him make a speech. That they will be in the audience and see him, not that they are going to get to meet him.

He's just a person.

Looks like my understanding of that phrase is wrong. I looked it up and apparently the Pope holds a mass audience every Wednesday. It's not a private audience, it's an address that up to 15,000 can attend, but they do call it a Papal audience.

I thought the phrase meant you at least had a meet and greet.

If you need fewer than 10 tickets, you usually don't even need a reservation:
http://www.papalaudience.org/tickets

No matter what a person might think of the Pope or the Vatican or Catholicism, I think on this board we can agree that this is a good meeting because it has the potential to bother some Notre Dame fans that it's us and not them.

Notre Dame fans...??? haven't played them in 2 years. out of sight, out of mind. though for some reason, while reading this thread I thought more of sbee and johnny.

you know the Harbaugh-hype headlines drive them nuts, but prior to last season they could still dismiss them as meaningless, and puff their chests (so to speak on the internet) about how Dantonio was a simple "nose-to-the-grind" grump who just went out and won games. But now? after a 3-9 season, followed by an offseason at MSU marred by arrests, sex scandals and in-fighting? ouch.

and still Harbaugh is just relentless... camps down south, owning twitter, new baby, hiring great assistants, sitting on public interest boards, going to Rome!

these stories aren't stopping anytime soon and it must drive them nuts!

Notre Dame fans...??? haven't played them in 2 years. out of sight, out of mind. though for some reason, while reading this thread I thought more of sbee and johnny.

you know the Harbaugh-hype headlines drive them nuts, but prior to last season they could still dismiss them as meaningless, and puff their chests (so to speak on the internet) about how Dantonio was a simple "nose-to-the-grind" grump who just went out and won games. But now? after a 3-9 season, followed by an offseason at MSU marred by arrests, sex scandals and in-fighting? ouch.

and still Harbaugh is just relentless... camps down south, owning twitter, new baby, hiring great assistants, sitting on public interest boards, going to Rome!

these stories aren't stopping anytime soon and it must drive them nuts!

I came across a blog written by a Sparty who thinks the Rome trip is absurd, because an entire football team shouldn't get to go abroad for free. I wasn't sure if she was butthurt because she thinks the university is picking up the tab, but if that's why, the money's coming from a private donor, so what's the big deal? I'd think she'd be more worried about the state of MSU's football team rather than what Harbaugh is doing.

Pope Paul IV wore some weird ass spectacles, himself.

Paul-VI.jpg

I'd rather be near Tinsel

Well, thank you - even my Catholic friends claim that I'm more entertaining than the Pope twice a day.

Since we're on topic of the football team seeing/meeting/audiencing with the Pope - a few fun Vatican facts -

The bespectacled Pope in post #17 is Pope Paul IV, who oversaw the closing of the second Vatican Council in 1965, that had been convened by his predecessor, Pope John XXIII in 1962.

In keeping with long standing Papal tradition, Pope Paul IV ascended to the Papacy via the death of his predecessor, unlike this current Pope.

Among the changes in Catholicism that the second Vatican administered were to allow the Catholic Mass to be spoken in a language that people could actually understand.

Also it absolved Jewish people from killing Christ, and allowed into Catholicism the theory that Jewish people might not actually be born with vestigial tails.

This led to the rise of certain individuals within the Catholic Church to rebel and form a counter religion known as "Sedevacantism" - "The Holy See is vacant" - and holds that the Catholic Church is in disarray and is invalid until Vatican II is reversed. The most famous ascriber to this theology is Mel Gibson's father; no one knows for sure whether Mel Gibson is himself, or not.

Now...most Catholics don't know nor do they care about sedevacantism; but a few do, and they label themselves as "antisedevacantists" who practice "antisedevacantism..." which brings about another whole debate - what actually is the longest (and also hypothetically stupidest) word?

"Antidisestablishmentiarist" or the related "antidisestablishmentariarism" have long been viewed as the longest words that are supposed to mean anything (whatever they're supposed to mean) but I'm still gonna go with "supercallafragilliousticexpiallacious;" or to hedge my bet; I'm gonna come with up a word I've never heard before - "supercallafragillicousticexpialladociousism..." which means the belief in that which is supercallafragilliousticexpiallacious.

Even though the sound if it is something quite atrocious, if I say it loud enough I always sound precious.

Last edited:
"Antidisestablishmentiarist" or the related "antidisestablishmentariarism" have long been viewed as the longest words that are supposed to mean anything (whatever they're supposed to mean) but I'm still gonna go with "supercallafragilliousticexpiallacious;" or to hedge my bet; I'm gonna come with up a word I've never heard before - "supercallafragillicousticexpialladociousism..." which means the belief in that which is supercallafragilliousticexpiallacious.

Even though the sound if it is something quite atrocious, if I say it loud enough I always sound precious.

There aren't many, if any, antidisestablishmentiarists left. Maybe they died of pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

Back