Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official New Michigan Football coaching staff thread

b311j

Jan 26 Harbaugh out AFTER WINNING A NATTY --> Sherrone in

Jan 28 Herbert out --> Justin Tress in Moore Names Tress as Director of Strength and Conditioning; Retains Dietitian O'Connor - University of Michigan Athletics

Jan 29 Grant Newsome elevated to offensive line coach. Moore Announces Promotions for Campbell, Newsome - University of Michigan Athletics

Feb 2 Kirk Campbell elevated to OC Moore Announces Promotions for Campbell, Newsome - University of Michigan Athletics

JayBaugh out (to Seattle Seahawks) --> Feb 2 J.B. Brown elevated to Special Teams Coordinator (Brown Elevated to Special Teams Coordinator - University of Michigan Athletics)

Feb 2 Steve Casula hired as TE coach Maize&BlueReview - BREAKING: UMass OC Steve Casula set to be named TE coach at Michigan

Feb 5 Rumor -- Jim's interest in bringing Clink and Elston to the Chargers is growing Real Recognize Real report (2/5) – Pro coaching jobs impacting Michigan’s target list

Feb 6 Doug Mallory out (defensive analyst) MSN

Feb 6 Mike Elston out Exit: Mike Elston | mgoblog

Feb 7 Dylan Roney (who?) out with Mallory MSN

Feb 15 Brian Jean-Mary hired as LB coach / Def run game coordinator (per Sam Webb)

Feb 16 LaMar Morgan hired as DB coach LaMar

Mar 1 Ron Bellamy elevated to Passing Game Coordinator Bellamy

Mar 4 Kevin Wilkins hired as Defensive Analyst Wilkins

Mar 13 Tony Alford hired as RB coach Tony Alford

Last edited:
If Mike Hart leaves... uh oh.

And what about the rest of the current staff?

especially...
Clinkscale (DBs) &
Elston (DLs)
(The LBC was an open position b/c of Partridge's termination)

on the offensive side
Kirk Campbell (QBs)
Grant Newsome (TEs)

Who in the hell is going to stay ? Thanks Jim. Take everyone with you. I guess we will see if Moore can hire a staff.

Last edited:
Who in the hell is going to stay ? Thanks Jim. Take everyone with you. I guess we will see if Moore can hire a staff.

The staff leaving to go to LA speaks volumes... Of course, maybe they all just want to win the Super Bowl? Who doesn't, right?

That's why all the good coaches keep leaving Ann Arbor, and why they have the same problem at every other successful college program.

Rumors: Herbert wanted to stay, Warde wouldnt give him the $$ he wanted...

Oh, for the love of God.

For six years, it was “fire Jim, fire Jim right now.”

Then after not one but two conference championships, it was “Jim didn’t go to this or this or that or that B1G event.”

Now he finally does what he came to do, and “it’s thanks Jim for taking your staffers with you.”

Oi.

For the love of God.

Oh, for the love of God.

For six years, it was “fire Jim, fire Jim right now.”

Then after not one but two conference championships, it was “Jim didn’t go to this or this or that or that B1G event.”

Now he finally does what he came to do, and “it’s thanks Jim for taking your staffers with you.”

Oi.

For the love of God.

I’m not ok with a successful coach leaving his program out high to dry like this. T. Just stop For the love of god we are are thankful that Jim finally figured it out three years ago.

But don’t act like he left the program in decent shape. It’s Moore and these players that will have to answer for the 2 ncaa investigations. If it’s true Ward would not pay Herbert the conditioning coach then maybe Jim is just trying to stick it to Warde Idk. You don’t know. We all want Moore to be successful but this start seems very underwhelming start thanks to 2 people who could not get a long. Jim and Warde. How Warde has a job after losing 3 very successful coaches is beyond me.

The staff leaving to go to LA speaks volumes... Of course, maybe they all just want to win the Super Bowl? Who doesn't, right?

That's why all the good coaches keep leaving Ann Arbor, and why they have the same problem at every other successful college program.

You can't discount the difference in time commitment between college and NFL. The coaches got back from winning a national championship, spent 1-2 nights in their own bed then went out recruiting.

And especially a guy like Herbert. People keep saying "he won't have the same impact in the NFL". Okay, so dude got twice as much money for a quarter of the work. If players aren't in the building does he need to be? He spends more time on site at Michigan than any other coach and traded that for months off 0er year and more money.

There's a Bengals player that lives a few doors down from me. The day after their season ended he and his family were gone. It's been over a month and they've missed snow storms, freezing rain, generally shitty weather and not seeing the sun in a month. Instead of all that lovely fun he and his family are enjoying the Miami sand and sun. Point is, it's not difficult to see why the NFL appeals to these dudes. I have zero interest in the NFL and I have watched maybe 15 minutes of its games this entire season. I love Michigan football and haven't missed a down of it since the second half of Brady Hoke's last season. But if I had an offer on the table to work for Michigan or the Dolphins, I'd take the Dolphins for less money every time.

Yes the staff leaving is much more about sticking with Harbaugh and getting the cushier job in the more appealing NFL simple as that.

I guess there should never be any good college coaches, because they'll all go to the pros...

Not going to speculate about 2024 season eight months from now in the wake of Michigan's National Championship of three weeks ago.

A name mentioned on these boards for potential DC replacement...

Per Tom Pelissero of NFL Media, Green Bay has put in a request to interview inside linebackers coach Zach Orr for the role.

Orr, 31, is in his second stint as a Ravens coach, serving as the team’s ILBs coach for the last two seasons. He returned to the organization after spending the 2021 season as Jacksonville’s outside linebackers coach.

Just won a title. They could bring in Matt Patricia and I wouldn't care.

A name mentioned on these boards for potential DC replacement...

Per Tom Pelissero of NFL Media, Green Bay has put in a request to interview inside linebackers coach Zach Orr for the role.

Orr, 31, is in his second stint as a Ravens coach, serving as the team’s ILBs coach for the last two seasons. He returned to the organization after spending the 2021 season as Jacksonville’s outside linebackers coach.
[/QUOTE

Orr promoted to DC for the Ravens with MacDonald leaving

I guess there should never be any good college coaches, because they'll all go to the pros...

Boston College head coach just left to be a coordinator in the NFL. College football is a shit show right now with the portal and tampering. You have to recruit your own roster 365 days a year on top of recruiting high schoolers and transfers who commit to you for months then flip on signing day when another school drops a bag.

I saw somewhere that Chip Kelly was interested in the OC job for the Redskins as well. So yes, good coaches are going to go to the NFL much more often until NIL and the portal are fixed.

Boston College head coach just left to be a coordinator in the NFL. College football is a shit show right now with the portal and tampering. You have to recruit your own roster 365 days a year on top of recruiting high schoolers and transfers who commit to you for months then flip on signing day when another school drops a bag.

I saw somewhere that Chip Kelly was interested in the OC job for the Redskins as well. So yes, good coaches are going to go to the NFL much more often until NIL and the portal are fixed.
Chip Kelly is a good coach?

Also, coaches themselves have been acting like this for years now... leaving jobs in the middle of the night, lying to their players about their intentions and changing a week later, etc. and this shit stain, total naked self-interest behavior is tacitly accepted as like what any reasonable person would do in their shoes.

So now that the players can't be completely treated like shit by these assholes, the system needs to be "fixed"? Right...

Anyone leaving college football to go to the pros because of this makes college football better.

(No, I don't think this includes Harbaugh himself, esp. since he was advocating for the players the last few years)

Chip Kelly is a good coach?

Also, coaches themselves have been acting like this for years now... leaving jobs in the middle of the night, lying to their players about their intentions and changing a week later, etc. and this shit stain, total naked self-interest behavior is tacitly accepted as like what any reasonable person would do in their shoes.

So now that the players can't be completely treated like shit by these assholes, the system needs to be "fixed"? Right...

Anyone leaving college football to go to the pros because of this makes college football better.

(No, I don't think this includes Harbaugh himself, esp. since he was advocating for the players the last few years)

I'm not sure who pissed in your cherrios the past few weeks but your responses to general conversation have been irrationally emotional and argumentative.

I never said that kids having options was a bad thing. I said that the tampering and I unchecked inducements are bad things. And the fact that nobody is enforcing the rules that are being broken to prevent it from happening is also a bad thing.

And miss me with the bullshit about kids not being treated like shit. They're being exploited by even more people than before and they're all being advised to make the decision that financially benefits their agents now with zero concern for the long term implications to the kids. Go look up Nyck Harbour's recruitment and Jaden Rashada's situation for just a couple of examples of how the system is still very much broken.

And Chip Kelly is, objectively speaking, a good to very good coach that would have a dozen college head coaching offers within days of leaving UCLA. And he's been in the NFL twice, failed both times and is still considering going back. Coaches, ADs, CFB analysts and everyone else have all said the same things but by all means, keep burying your head in the sand.

I'm not sure who pissed in your cherrios the past few weeks but your responses to general conversation have been irrationally emotional and argumentative.

I never said that kids having options was a bad thing. I said that the tampering and I unchecked inducements are bad things. And the fact that nobody is enforcing the rules that are being broken to prevent it from happening is also a bad thing.

And miss me with the bullshit about kids not being treated like shit. They're being exploited by even more people than before and they're all being advised to make the decision that financially benefits their agents now with zero concern for the long term implications to the kids. Go look up Nyck Harbour's recruitment and Jaden Rashada's situation for just a couple of examples of how the system is still very much broken.

And Chip Kelly is, objectively speaking, a good to very good coach that would have a dozen college head coaching offers within days of leaving UCLA. And he's been in the NFL twice, failed both times and is still considering going back. Coaches, ADs, CFB analysts and everyone else have all said the same things but by all means, keep burying your head in the sand.

well, I don't agree with the narrative that allowing transfers and NIL money ruined the sport; it was pretty much already ruined, and the coaches, reporters, etc. griping about it are just pissed off that business as usual changed, and they don't want to adapt to the new reality.

you (I mean that rhetorically, not you personally, Mr. Sensitive) want kids to go throw themselves into a sport for 4-5 years, risking CTE & their health generally, and either getting a substandard education b/c they have to practice 40+ hours a week during the school year, or foregoing actual paying work if they weren't college material... but they can't leave a program as easily as the coach recruited them can? Get real. The coaches and ADs and everyone else feeding at the trough prior to this decade ruined the sport. Letting kids have an actual piece of the pie, small as it is, has helped the sport in my opinion.

And I do think the dickhead coaches leaving CFB for the NFL over this issue are doing college football fans a favor. This is addition by subtraction.

This has to be one of the youngest coaching staffs for Michigan football in a very long time. Moore and Kirk Campbell (and Mike Hart) are all 37.

But I suppose that's not THAT young... Bo was 40 when he took over in 1969.

And maybe the trend is positive in some ways. I think about Don Brown's defenses getting eaten alive by OSU because (according to Jake Butt) he just refused to adjust the defense to counter their crossing routes. Maybe younger guys are less likely to be that cranky and stubborn...?

Back