Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official New Michigan Football coaching staff thread

Per Adam Schefter, the Chargers are finalizing a deal to hire USC running backs coach Kiel McDonald as their running backs coach.

This seems like good news in that its not Mike Hart going. But things are still not completely clear as Hart continues his 'leave of absence'. Hopefully its nothing too serious and he makes it back to our sidelines.

NOT good news: Mike Hart has left the staff. No word yet on where he's going.

After Harbaugh, Mike was the coach I wanted to lose the least. He's a proven winner... a sure bet to make the run game better no matter where he goes. Freaking INDIANA had a good run game when he was there.

Agree. The loss of Hart is devastating for the program. Perhaps he will return one day as HC. Good luck to him in his future.

Michigan is kicking the tires on Pernell McPhee

Michigan is pursuing former NFL standout outside linebacker Pernell McPhee for a defensive support staff role, sources tell
@247Sports
.McPhee played 11 seasons in the NFL, including seven with the #Ravens with new Michigan DC Wink Martindale. Coaches that have been around McPhee view him as someone with the characteristics and makeup to be a fast riser in the coaching world and to eventually become a head coach.

Lionel Stokes to be hired as analyst

Michigan is expected to hire Lionel Stokes as a defensive analyst, sources tell
@247Sports
.In addition to working at Louisiana with new Michigan DB coach LaMar Morgan, the ex-Louisiana starting safety has also been a defensive coordinator at Jackson State and a DB coach at Jackson and Nicholls.

As time has gone on, this new staff has become more of an unknown quantity. Moore, Campbell, Bellamy, and Newsome are the only holdovers. Hope that's enough to keep a continuity of experience and knowledge going.

I think the biggest thing Harbaugh did - which never got discussed enough - was make practices 6 hours long... for the coaches. Jake Butt said NCAA rules limited practices to 4 hours for players, so Harbaugh broke the team into two units, had each practice for two hours, with a two hour overlap where they all practiced together in the middle... for a 6 hour overall daily routine. That's a lot, relatively speaking. Presumably, most college coaches are far less committed in the time they put in to practice.

I really wonder if Moore is going to keep that routine going?

Michigan is pursuing former NFL standout outside linebacker Pernell McPhee for a defensive support staff role, sources tell
@247Sports
.McPhee played 11 seasons in the NFL, including seven with the #Ravens with new Michigan DC Wink Martindale. Coaches that have been around McPhee view him as someone with the characteristics and makeup to be a fast riser in the coaching world and to eventually become a head coach.
...all the characteristics and makeup to be a fast riser in the coaching world... except actual experience and a track record of any kind. Sounds like he has a good publicist or agent.

At least he can't do too much harm in a support role, right?

Is our staff complete? I don't know how many more roles they'd need to fill.

The wikipedia page for 2024 Michigan football lists captains for the team already (Orji, Edwards, Graham and Will Johnson). I thought we usually waited to name captains; I also thought Will Johnson was gone already, so I guess that's a nice surprise he's returning.

I believe with the addition of Alford as RB coach the staff is complete. It sounds like Moore is still looking at "analysts".

dumb. oh well, this shit happens. I don't know if this justifies firing him off the bat, unless there are some aggravating factors.

Article says he was kicked off of Louisville's team as a senior for a drunk driving crash... and Moore was an assistant there at the time. But lots of people get DUIs... if that was the only thing he did wrong... I can't really fault Moore for overlooking it.

I don't know. Not a great thing to happen, but not that big of a deal.

As time has gone on, this new staff has become more of an unknown quantity. Moore, Campbell, Bellamy, and Newsome are the only holdovers. Hope that's enough to keep a continuity of experience and knowledge going.

I think the biggest thing Harbaugh did - which never got discussed enough - was make practices 6 hours long... for the coaches. Jake Butt said NCAA rules limited practices to 4 hours for players, so Harbaugh broke the team into two units, had each practice for two hours, with a two hour overlap where they all practiced together in the middle... for a 6 hour overall daily routine. That's a lot, relatively speaking. Presumably, most college coaches are far less committed in the time they put in to practice.

I really wonder if Moore is going to keep that routine going?

...all the characteristics and makeup to be a fast riser in the coaching world... except actual experience and a track record of any kind. Sounds like he has a good publicist or agent.

At least he can't do too much harm in a support role, right?

Is our staff complete? I don't know how many more roles they'd need to fill.

The wikipedia page for 2024 Michigan football lists captains for the team already (Orji, Edwards, Graham and Will Johnson). I thought we usually waited to name captains; I also thought Will Johnson was gone already, so I guess that's a nice surprise he's returning.
Well, ya can’t always count on Wikipedia.

I am still reveling in the glow of our team’s national championship.

Michigan will probably make the 12 team playoff.

Not for nothin,’ but the local talking heads are saying Harbaugh is going to draft Blake the Great.

Well, ya can’t always count on Wikipedia.

I am still reveling in the glow of our team’s national championship.

Michigan will probably make the 12 team playoff.

Not for nothin,’ but the local talking heads are saying Harbaugh is going to draft Blake the Great.
My analytics guy friend would poo poo that, since analytics show you never draft an RB.

Draft linemen... draft LBs... draft CBs... maybe QB prospects. But never RBs or WRs.

But Harbaugh is obviously better at this than I am or the analytics guys, so he should do what he wants!

only one Michigan player currently on the Chargers roster (Chris Hinton) as a reserve.

@247Sports
Looks like this is happening McPhee

Aaaaand Greg Scruggs has quit after his OWI situation.

What do you think is a fair time frame to evaluate a new coach, taking over from a hugely successful, or even legendary one?

I think as long as Moore does an "average job" he still has an above average team to work with, albeit with a much tougher schedule overall this season. I think 9-10 wins is the floor of what's acceptable in 2024. 8 if we see in hindsight that we lost to really good teams.

And he could probably coast on what Harbaugh has built for a couple seasons, before he needs to start adjusting things and adapting to whatever will come.

That being said, if shit gets bad in year 1 or year 2, it's not looking good for Moore in my book.

The QB situation is obviously a big thing for him to overcome and adapt to, but even with subpar QB play, this team should be able to run over most of our opponents.

Ive always gone by the 4 year rule. There should be an improvement visible in that time frame. RichRod's offense was getting better in that timeframe, he just ignored the defense. Hoke kept getting worse each year. I expect a drop with losing so much (players and coaches) from the 2023 team. if we get to year 5 and the decline is still there, its hot-seat time.

Back