Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The shine is gone

-Heard this on the radio

Hoke after 31 games
24-7 and 2-2 verses o$u and msu.

Jimmy after 31 games
24-7 and 1-4.

my dumb MSU friend sent me that.

I responded Dantonio was 18-13 after 31 games, 0-2 in bowls. he was like "Durrrrrr..."

This has been Harbaugh's approach for over a decade.

The offense has looked disjointed as hell over the last two seasons. And rather than making up for issues with the O-line and QB, it seems the playcalling is making them worse. I do think Jim needs to take more control and obviously needs to find something that the offense can do well and replicate.

I thought the idea of a "passing game coordinator" who called the pass plays and an OC who apparently just called running plays seemed disjointed last year (and I said so, & IT SHOWED, but Harbaugh didn't have the sense to join our message board and read my post).

this year is more of the same shit, but worse. I think Jed Fisch probably worked better with Drevno. but Pep Hamilton... with his unbelievable $FOUR MILLION contract... not so much. now - I would bet you - we have a clash of egos over who is in charge on offense. there is such a thing as having too much money, apparently... and we have that problem. paying an assistant - not even a coordinator - $1MM/ year...??? fucking nuts.

Harbaugh needs to dumb it back down. WRC, RBC, OLC, QBC all reporting to the OC, who calls plays.

I thought the idea of a "passing game coordinator" who called the pass plays and an OC who apparently just called running plays seemed disjointed last year (and I said so, & IT SHOWED, but Harbaugh didn't have the sense to join our message board and read my post)....

I don't think it's quite that explicit, where one guy calls all of the plays in his category. At least it's never been reported that way. And again, Harbaugh has been doing some variation of this during his entire (very successful) career. But I will agree that things need to be scaled back in many regards.

I don't think it's quite that explicit, where one guy calls all of the plays in his category. At least it's never been reported that way. And again, Harbaugh has been doing some variation of this during his entire (very successful) career. But I will agree that things need to be scaled back in many regards.

I didn't watch enough Stanford games to really comment on how it looked there; the Stanford games I did watch usually involved them beating the tar out of their opponents with power running.

and I don't think the NFL years are particulalrly applicable to the college game

It looked... okay in 2015. by the end of the season, our offense looked great. except against OSU, but defensive breakdowns contributed to some of that. I think it started to fall apart last year.

this year it doesn't work at all. this has to be one of the worst Michigan offenses I've ever seen. and it's a shame because they're dragging down one of the best Michigan defenses I've ever seen.

I know the players are young (at least the WRS, and a couple OL...) but they haven't improved at all, over 5 games (six weeks counting the bye)

I think the simplest explanation is what the most dramatic change was, and that's Pep Hamilton. and his $4 MM/4 year contract. according to the Freep, that's more than Don Brown makes, and the same as Tim Drevno makes... can't be a good thing... !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I said it needed to be scaled back, jesus!

you say "scaled back" I say "bulldozed"... practically the same thing.

hey, was that you rioting at McDonald's for that special sauce last weekend? you're a big fan of that weird show, right?

hey, was that you rioting at McDonald's for that special sauce last weekend? you're a big fan of that weird show, right?

I like that weird show too, but the sauce thing was weird. There's a video out there of some guy that takes a packet in front of the crowd of people and stomps on it, and I kid you not, some dude dips his chicken tender in the stomped on road sauce.

Yeah yeah, I do agree with you. It's one of those things where if it works, great, but if it doesn't, you're kind of out there on an island looking like a jackass.

What?? Did McDonald's release some Szechuan sauce and I didn't now about it? I gotta get that Szechuan sauce, MC!

Last edited:
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...football-jim-harbaugh-play-calling/747183001/

Jim comes out and says he has final say on the play calling.

The article references some awe-inspiring numbers by the offense. "The Wolverines rank No. 125 in red zone touchdown percentage (33.3), No. 113 in percentage of possessions with a turnover (16.2), No. 112 in percentage of drives resulting in a touchdown pass (6.8) and No. 113 in first downs per possession (1.2)."

Last edited:
Wait, so the guy who stomped it was the first to dip? I thought he was just being an a-hole and some rabid fan stooped down to get a taste. I don't have my volume on so I don't know if he had some eloquent speech beforehand that explained what was going on, but...WTF.

Wait, so the guy who stomped it was the first to dip? I thought he was just being an a-hole and some rabid fan stooped down to get a taste. I don't have my volume on so I don't know if he had some eloquent speech beforehand that explained what was going on, but...WTF.

People are retards. That's what is going on.

It boggles the mind that jimmy wasn't ready for the rain. We we're only down 4 at the time it got really bad. run play fp and punt and pray for a break.

Last edited:
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...football-jim-harbaugh-play-calling/747183001/

Jim comes out and says he has final say on the play calling.

The article references some awe-inspiring numbers by the offense. "The Wolverines rank No. 125 in red zone touchdown percentage (33.3), No. 113 in percentage of possessions with a turnover (16.2), No. 112 in percentage of drives resulting in a touchdown pass (6.8) and No. 113 in first downs per possession (1.2)."

Is this what he said since the MSU game?

This might be true, but I don't know. This could be Harbaugh not throwing his assistant(s) under the bus. If this is true, this sure seems odd.

We have one person calling passing plays, we have another calling run plays, and both have to clear it through Harbaugh all in under 25 seconds. I don't even know if this is possible. Why do we have 3 people calling plays? Is that really necessary and why? Maybe Harbaugh should just take over the playcalling. Seems too many hands are in the pot.

I must not have seen that, I have him on my ignore list. Oh wait, I didn't do that, because I'm not a pussy ass bitch.

But yeah good call, I forgot about that.

Well, you have to remember the stuff he posted about Beilein, also. He ripped JB a good one, basically questioning the entire basketball program under JB, the offense, the defense, the recruiting...then JB goes out and has the team go on a tear, destroys MSU at home, win the BTT, and makes the sweet 16. Now they have the nation's #6 class for 2018...

My take is that 2 plays are called, 1 pass 1 run for the situation. Harbaugh makes the decision which one. Someone got a little ballsy in a torrential downpour. The thing is, is that State was playing zone most of the game. If your throw it just a little off, you are fucked. The QB and WRs have to be perfect in that kind of environment. You are askkng a helluva lot, even for a pro. Holy fucking shit.

Is this what he said since the MSU game?

This might be true, but I don't know. This could be Harbaugh not throwing his assistant(s) under the bus. If this is true, this sure seems odd.

We have one person calling passing plays, we have another calling run plays, and both have to clear it through Harbaugh all in under 25 seconds. I don't even know if this is possible. Why do we have 3 people calling plays? Is that really necessary and why? Maybe Harbaugh should just take over the playcalling. Seems too many hands are in the pot.

yeah, I was just going to say the same thing.

and what happens if there's a dispute? how is it resolved? and how does it not snowball into anger and finger pointing behind closed doors?

sounds like a nightmare. whatever worked for Harbaugh before isn't working now. and even if it did... why over complicate what needs to be simple, in the heat of the moment, communicating plays from the sideline to the signal callers, to the 11 guys on the field, while considering the clock, game situation, and reacting to the defense as well? it's a dumb approach. MSU's offensive staff are not very good, and we made them look like geniuses.

Back