Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The "What Are You Listening To Now" Thread

[flash=350,287:b12qx0b6]http://www.youtube.com/v/B73w8FmZoqc&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:b12qx0b6]
</td><td valign="top">
<iframe src="http://images.proboards.com/banners/300x250_14.html" width="300" height="250" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
</td></tr></table>

I can't see this at work, but I'm pretty sure this is the Unknown Mortal Orchestra video. I just found out that they're opening for the Liars concert that I'm going to next Friday...bonus!

I can't see this at work, but I'm pretty sure this is the Unknown Mortal Orchestra video. I just found out that they're opening for the Liars concert that I'm going to next Friday...bonus!

Let me know if they're legit live.. They seem like a studio band to me with their lo-fi sound. Hard to duplicate live..

That's what I was thinking too, but we'll see. If they really are a good band they'll rise above that.

I love some Neon Indian stuff but he is soo awful live... the lo-fi / distortion is sad.. One of my friends went to pitchfork and I told her to check UMO out for me. Also she gets to see Flying Lotus tomorrow.. Lucky dog.

I love some Neon Indian stuff but he is soo awful live... the lo-fi / distortion is sad.. One of my friends went to pitchfork and I told her to check UMO out for me. Also she gets to see Flying Lotus tomorrow.. Lucky dog.

Yeah, I saw them listed on the festival's youtube channel but didn't end up watching it. I did catch Cloud Nothings' set on Saturday and thought that was pretty good.

Looks like a 10/2 release date for flylo's next. I'll definitely catch his show when he comes through Detroit.

Jar of Flies was the last thing I bought on cassette.

Sweet! Have you ever checked out Mad Season, the Layne Staley/Mike Mcreedy side project? The first song off Jar of Flies kind of has a similar feel to it.

Also, the last cassette I bought was a couple years ago, Freak Nasty "Da Dip" for a quarter. I just bought it on a lark, I had no idea people actually knew the song. When it popped up on a commercial last year I was cracking up.

Sweet! Have you ever checked out Mad Season, the Layne Staley/Mike Mcreedy side project? The first song off Jar of Flies kind of has a similar feel to it.

Also, the last cassette I bought was a couple years ago, Freak Nasty "Da Dip" for a quarter. I just bought it on a lark, I had no idea people actually knew the song. When it popped up on a commercial last year I was cracking up.

You are a bad person for putting that song in my head. My roommate loved that song sophomore year. He blew out one of my speakers playing that and that Barbie Girl song.

...and no, I haven't listened to Mad Season. ...might have to check that out. Thanks.

...and no, I haven't listened to Mad Season. ...I WILL check that out. Thanks.

Fixed it for you.

They only made one album, Above. Easily one of my top 10 albums of all time. The period in which it came out and situations I listened to it definitely play a role in that, but that's music...I can't imagine anyone who enjoys Staley's voice not at least liking this album. As much as I love Alice In Chains, I actually think this more spaced out setting is a better fit for his voice.

hey, radiohead, I just bought "king of limbs" on vinyl. it came with a free digital download, so I burned it to a cd and listened to it more on my way to the office this morning.

great album to chill out to. or listen to while you make out

Definitely pleasantly surprised. I was wondering how UMO would jive with what Liars are doing these days, but that question along with the live concerns were answered in one word....bass. The music was much more full than I expected...the bass and distortion really set off the poppy elements of each song even better than they do on record, IMO. I'd definitely check them out if they play nearby.

hey, radiohead, I just bought "king of limbs" on vinyl. it came with a free digital download, so I burned it to a cd and listened to it more on my way to the office this morning.

great album to chill out to. or listen to while you make out

You should have bought the Newspaper edition that came with a full sheet of blotter paper with cool designs on each square. Unfortunately it came "un-dipped".

Definitely agree with the last sentiment. The first time I listened to it with my wife was...memorable.

That's four "definitely"'s in my last three posts here. I definitely need to work on that.

You should have bought the Newspaper edition that came with a full sheet of blotter paper with cool designs on each square. Unfortunately it came "un-dipped".

Definitely agree with the last sentiment. The first time I listened to it with my wife was...memorable.

They didn't have that version. I was just picking through the bins at the record store.

most new vinyl albums there are $19.99 and up. Some of the less money-grubbing acts (e.g. Radiohead) sell theirs for less. King of Limbs was $12.99, so I grabbed it.

My rule when buying vinyl is it should be cheap, unless there are some extenuating circumstances. I usually pick up obscure used stuff, mostly classic rock, jazz or blues, and expand my horizons that way. stuff I'd never buy otherwise, hence the cap on price.

They didn't have that version. I was just picking through the bins at the record store.

most new vinyl albums there are $19.99 and up. Some of the less money-grubbing acts (e.g. Radiohead) sell theirs for less. King of Limbs was $12.99, so I grabbed it.

My rule when buying vinyl is it should be cheap, unless there are some extenuating circumstances. I usually pick up obscure used stuff, mostly classic rock, jazz or blues, and expand my horizons that way. stuff I'd never buy otherwise, hence the cap on price.

Yeah, I was just busting your chops. That was a limited edition that was only available for a short while after they announced the album. Not nearly as cool as their ltd ed In Rainbows discbox, and way too expensive, but something a completist like myself is going to buy.

I haven't started buying used vinyl yet, but that sounds like a good strategy. My wife has quite a bit of older stuff in her collection, but the stuff I haven't heard yet, I don't want to hear.

Back