Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2023-2024 Offseason: Trades, Free Agents, Call ups, Rule 5, tender, non-tender

I'm not even sure defense comes into play for an all star. They just want to see the bling numbers. But if he's a 0 war guy on defense, I'll take it.

I'm just going by what I have read about him in the past. He projected to be a 3B because of lack of range, him having a good arm, and his bat. I want my middle infielders to have a lot of range. 2B and SS should be your best defensive players...not a liability defensively.

I'm just going by what I have read about him in the past. He projected to be a 3B because of lack of range, him having a good arm, and his bat. I want my middle infielders to have a lot of range. 2B and SS should be your best defensive players...not a liability defensively.

Average isn't nessessary a liability. But plus defender and a good bat, at 2B, not easy to pull off. I also like big range at 2B but options seem limited at the moment.

Average isn't nessessary a liability. But plus defender and a good bat, at 2B, not easy to pull off. I also like big range at 2B but options seem limited at the moment.

you are correct. I am sticking to my assumption that he will be below average defensively. I hope I'm wrong.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2024/01/31/degrees-of-expertise/
DEGREES OF EXPERTISE.
Totally Tigers

With just a little over a year of observation, it’s become apparent that the Detroit Tigers have completely changed how they operate from a business perspective. The Colt Keith contract is just the latest example.

Part of the reason lies in the backgrounds of the Tigers’ PoBO, Scott Harris and GM Jeff Greenberg. They are part of the sweeping changes that have come to professional sports, esp. baseball.

Gone are the days when top baseball executives came from the game, scouted, managed or coached. Today, almost every single President and GM has a degree from an elite college with majors that are directly applicable to the sport – psychology, business, sports economics, finance, etc.?Almost none of them played baseball outside of college.

This applies to both Harris and Greenberg, however they also belong to an even higher level of baseball executives.

They have advanced degrees as well. Greenberg has a law degree and Harris has an MBA. A perfect match of both fields that helps a team make bigger and smarter decisions.

They are among the very few in MLB who possess those double degrees.

Who would have thought the Tigers would be leading the way?

Best of all, it’s paying off.

More in the link.....

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/tiger-talk-1-30-24/id902522346?i=1000643683805
Detroit Tigers Podcast: Tiger Talk. 50 minutes.

Dan Dickerson sits down with Tigers prospect, Colt Keith to get his thoughts on his freshly inked contract extension. Keith also recounts improvements he’s made on both sides of the ball since being drafted.

Later in the show, Pat Caputo and Dickerson discuss the implications of the Keith signing, Tigers prospects, and the challenges of player development.

All ranking sites are not created equal with some being better than others. However, it should be noted that in all the lists - and the most important takeaway - there are more and more Detroit Tigers appearing in the top 100 rankings.

Top 100 was just released at ESPN

10: Jobe
15: Clark
40: Keith
45: Meadows (?!)
63: Jung
95: McGonigle

Interesting…..but great seeing this many names make the list

What was interesting about A.J. Hinch’s comments about the Tigers 3rd base situation heading into the season is how it pertains to production. So I did some research.

I understand the sentiment here — they haven’t added a 3B — but they aren’t *really* running it back.

Last year Maton, Nevin, Short, and Schoop played in 111 games at 3rd for -1.8 fWAR, -11 OAA, and -16 DRS.

Vierling, McKinstry, and Ibanez? 1.1 WAR, 1OAA, - 1DRS in 85 games.

MCBTB

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...ations-offseason/id1623601003?i=1000643705873
MLB Podcast A.J. Hinch Talks Tigers Expectations, Offseason. 58 minutes
The Show: A NY Post baseball podcast with Joel Sherman & Jon Heyman
Baseball.
MLB.com

On a new episode of “The Show” podcast, Joel Sherman and Jon Heyman open up talking about worries for the Mets this season. They also talk about expectations for the Yankees and what changes they would make to the Hall of Fame voting process.

At the 21 minute mark, Tigers manager A.J. Hinch then joins the guys. Hinch talks about whether they can make the playoffs and end the drought, hiring Joey Cora, Javy Baez’s struggles last year, their top prospects, the Lions season ending, their third base situation, how their rotation might pan out and where Mark Canha will play.

Hinch talks for nearly 30 minutes.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2024/02/01/five-for-friday-102/
FIVE FOR FRIDAY.
Totally Tigers

With the news of the Colt Keith contract, there has been discussion about what other Tigers may be signed to an extended contract while their careers are still in the early stages.

Of course, Spencer Torkelson’s name has come up. If you discount the concerns over his defensive skills, there is one huge reason why the Tigers won’t give him a similar deal.

Scott Boras, his agent.

Boras is on the record saying that he is against what are considered to be team-friendly contracts. His job is to get his clients as much money as he can.

And he’s very, very good at it. Boras takes almost every single client of his to free agency. His m.o. is to create demand and a bidding war between multiple teams in order to drive the price up.

You know the Tigers have to be thinking which of their perceived building blocks will be leaving the team once they hit free agency.

There are a couple, like Kerry Carpenter and Parker Meadows who do not have agents as of yet. But that can change.

But if we look at the current 40-man roster, as well as a list of their top prospects, which of these players is repped by Scott Boras?

Here is a list of the top 5:.....

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2024/02/01/five-for-friday-102/
FIVE FOR FRIDAY.
Totally Tigers

With the news of the Colt Keith contract, there has been discussion about what other Tigers may be signed to an extended contract while their careers are still in the early stages.

Of course, Spencer Torkelson’s name has come up. If you discount the concerns over his defensive skills, there is one huge reason why the Tigers won’t give him a similar deal.

Scott Boras, his agent.

Boras is on the record saying that he is against what are considered to be team-friendly contracts. His job is to get his clients as much money as he can.

And he’s very, very good at it. Boras takes almost every single client of his to free agency. His m.o. is to create demand and a bidding war between multiple teams in order to drive the price up.

You know the Tigers have to be thinking which of their perceived building blocks will be leaving the team once they hit free agency.

There are a couple, like Kerry Carpenter and Parker Meadows who do not have agents as of yet. But that can change.

But if we look at the current 40-man roster, as well as a list of their top prospects, which of these players is repped by Scott Boras?

Here is a list of the top 5:.....

If the Tigers don't think they can sign a player that has Boras as an agent, trade him prior to his walk year.

Back