Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2024 Spring Training beginning 2 - 14

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2024/02/09/saturday-survey-115/
SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

Next week, pitchers and catchers report to Lakeland. Shortly thereafter, the rest of the roster and invitees will join them.

The Tigers will have a larger number of players attending spring training. There are a number of positions up for grabs.

They will be trying to find solutions for a number of concerns – open positions, increasing offense, strengthening defense and finding the 5 best starting pitchers.

Two of those issues have been long-standing problems. Lack of offense and finding a plus defender for 3B.

Some of the younger players returning will have more experience at the plate. At 3B, Matt Vierling, Andy Ibanez and Zach McKinstry are expected to rotate there until an heir become apparent.?They are all plus defenders at that position.

But which of these 2 concerns is the most important to fill?

Which is the most important concern to solve during spring training?

1. Increasing offense.

2. Filling the hole at 3B.

VOTE

What does Justyn-Henry Malloy have to do in Spring Training to earn a spot on the Tigers roster?

Last season in AAA:
- .277/.417/.474 (130 wRC+) in 611 PA
- 23 HR
- 89 RBI
- 18.0 BB%
- 24.9 K%
- .897 FLD% at 3rd

AJ Hinch hasn't mentioned his name as a solution for 3rd this offseason.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1756349286273384705

After playing third base in college and at the start of his pro career in 2021, Justyn-Henry Malloy now looks to be on more or less a full-time path as a corner outfielder, and the Tigers prospect told Evan Petzold of the Detroit Free Press that he has spent the winter preparing for this role.

“Every day, I’m out here shagging fly balls and making throws to bases,” Malloy said. “I want to be a player that my pitchers can trust….It’s something that I circle on my day, that we’re going to do some defense and get better. That’s been my mentality all offseason.”

Baseball America ranked Malloy as the sixth-best prospect in Detroit’s system and also cited him as one of 15 players who just missed making their 2024 edition of the sport’s best prospects, noting that Malloy has a good throwing arm but struggled with accuracy in throwing from third to first base.

While Malloy’s defensive future is still a question mark, his bat already seems big league-ready — Malloy hit .277/.417/.474 with 23 home runs over 611 plate appearances with Triple-A Toledo in 2023.

MLBTR

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2024/02/10/open-mike-120/
OPEN MIKE.
Totally Tigers

Believe it or not, there is another sport taking center stage today. But for those of you who think baseball first, today is your day.

We welcome readers to share their thoughts about the Tigers or baseball in general. Your observations, comments and questions. Extra credit to those who create topics or questions that generate thoughtful dialog threads.

For this day only, a maximum of 6 sentences please.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2024/02/11/would-you-rather-23/
WOULD YOU RATHER…?
Totally Tigers

Let’s kick off the week with a brain teaser.

We’re presenting a dilemma to discuss. Two hard choices. And you can pick only one. There is no middle ground in today’s blog.

Here’s the situation:

Spencer Torkelson came into his own as a hitter during the 2023 season. But the rest of his skills are below average.

He is not a fast runner and cost the Tigers -11 runs beyond what an average 1Ber replacement would perform. He ranks as MLB’s worst 1Ber by a wide margin.

Of course, he is still new to the game and it is believed he was set back in his development by the former Front Office that tried to move him to 3B. There is still potential for improvement.

One must consider that Tork’s agent is Scott Boras, who will most definitely take him to free agency after the 2028 season.

In baseball, the best return on a player when you consider trading him is 2 years before he becomes a free agent.

Tork could bring in a nice haul of premium trade candidates should the Tigers chose to trade him before he leaves and the Tigers get little to nothing in return. Potentially, the team could even get a starting pitcher in return from a team desperate for offense.

However, the Tigers are also in need of scoring more runs. How much down the road is still questionable.

Spencer plays baseball’s easiest position and the Tigers currently have a number of candidates who could take over at 1B.

Now, here’s the question we’re asking readers to discuss:

Should the Tigers trade Torkelson in 2 years (after the 2025 season) for a major acquisition so they may receive maximum value for him?

Or should the Tigers keep him and miss out on adding a significant player from a trade while risking losing him to free agency?

Should the Tigers trade Spencer Torkelson in 2 years?

1. Yes, for a solid trade piece.

2. No, keep him.

VOTE

https://www.mlb.com/news/spring-training-2024-storylines
1 key Spring Training storyline for each team.
MLB.com

Good article.

Tigers: What impact can Colt Keith make in Detroit’s lineup?
Keith’s six-year contract reduced the suspense about whether he would make the Tigers’ Opening Day roster, though the Tigers say he still has to earn the starting nod at second base. But we still don’t know yet how the Tigers will slot him into the lineup and what they expect from him early on. Keith’s combination of impact power and plate discipline should find a prominent place in the Tigers’ batting order, but we don’t know how quickly. Part of that might depend not only on Keith, but on whether shortstop Javier Báez can be a productive hitter in the middle of the lineup. The process will likely stretch into the regular season, but Spring Training should give us some clues. -- Jason Beck

Does anybody here really think Baez is going to be in the middle of the lineup. I'm guessing the 8 or 9 hole.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2024/02/13/reading-the-fine-print/
READING THE FINE PRINT.
Totally Tigers

Recent baseball stories have once again reminded me about the state of the media and how well – or poorly – many of them do their jobs.

And it serves us well to remember who signs their paychecks. Because sometimes that crucial tidbit isn’t openly advertised.

One of the hottest topics among Tiger fans is the local media coverage in the major newspapers. Most of the writers who are terrified of being critical lest they lose their jobs......

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2024/02/13/reading-the-fine-print/
READING THE FINE PRINT.
Totally Tigers

Recent baseball stories have once again reminded me about the state of the media and how well – or poorly – many of them do their jobs.

And it serves us well to remember who signs their paychecks. Because sometimes that crucial tidbit isn’t openly advertised.

One of the hottest topics among Tiger fans is the local media coverage in the major newspapers. Most of the writers who are terrified of being critical lest they lose their jobs......

I read her "blog" every day. That said, she too does some similar things. She is basically a Scott Harris fan. The way she writes her blog, it seems like she has a schoolgirl crush on him.

Second, if she is going to call out two former GMs that work for MLB radio, have the balls to call them out by name. If not, STFU!

I read her "blog" every day. That said, she too does some similar things. She is basically a Scott Harris fan. The way she writes her blog, it seems like she has a schoolgirl crush on him.

Second, if she is going to call out two former GMs that work for MLB radio, have the balls to call them out by name. If not, STFU!

It's not a matter of having the balls to call them out, if that was the case why don't you tell HER directly not us. We all know who they are (kid from the freep and the other one who died a few years ago, the past GM's of the mets and reds, and the cheater who is on the show now), and she is being courteous with who they are and not naming them directly, by not throwing more salt on the wound. You knock this woman every chance you have with critical comments. Why don't you try writing a blog with great and informative Tigers baseball and mlb baseball news every single day?!?! She is refreshing with the stories of factual information on the behind the scenes news about the Tigers front office and the building of the minor leagues from nutrition to player development.
It is tiring to read the same drivel of complaints every week.

Back